Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is more annoying? G800 release or USA president announcement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is more annoying? G800 release or USA president announcement?

Which is more annoying?
    Waiting for the G800 to be announced?
    Or waiting for them to announce who is elected as USA's next president?

For people on the other side of the pond, the question is why'd anyone vote for Bush...
    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

"the question is why'd anyone vote for Bush... ".
      the ballot paper was confusing, leading to voting errors. hehe

Comment

Of course, the question on this side of the pond has been, for over 200 years, why would anyone have a queen.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Your great-great-great-great-grand-great-great-grand-parents would know about that, Paul

But then again, they were still under his influence by then (before the Queen of England took over, they had a King )

But we don't vote for our Kings and Queens (Holland has Queen Beatrix). They beget King or Queen depending on who's the first born, from under their parent's reign.

We vote our 'leaders' as well. Presidents, Premiers, whatever one calls them.

Jord

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 13 November 2000).]
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

the monarchies in Europe don't have that much power nowadays, well, maybe some still by official laws, but not much in 'real world', since if they would use that power to do things the government don't agree on, they would simply dismiss the monarchy, and change to a republic.

I myself vote for doing that already, since I don't see that much use of a monarchy, other than costing the tax-payers far too much, and not providing much for those costs.

Update: but who am I to vote for that? I am not even allowed to vote here, since I am not a Dutch citizen, and neither to vote in Britain, since I don't live there (well, I never bothered to find out if I am allowed to vote in Britain)

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 13 November 2000).]

Comment

What exactly does the Queen do? I don't mean to be sac religious, I honestly don't know. About all I know is that she lives in a really nice house and has a funny wave. From what I have heard and read (mostly around here) she really doesn't do much other than the occasional photo-op.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

I believe the British monarch signs off on laws, disolves Parliament, greets foreign heads of state and government, appoints the head of the Church of England, knights people, owns property, inspires the troops, produces heirs and tourist revenue, does the will of Parliament, meets periodically with the Prime Minister, embodies the nation, etc.

I believe she, at least nominally, has many of the same powers as other heads of state. Much of this is just rubber stamping the will of Parliment. Since the Glorious Revolution, most power in the UK has been in the hands of Parliament, and specifically the House of Commons.

It seems that Elizabeth uses less of her constitutional powers than Victoria did. I don't think this was a specific constitutional change. It seems to me that this is more of a change in custom, and much of the British constitution appears to be based upon custom (or the way things have been done).

My apologies if I screwed anything up.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 13 November 2000).]

Comment

For people on the other side of the pond, the question is why'd anyone vote for Bush...

Perhaps they see George W. Bush as more honest and sure of what he believes in.. Perhaps they understand the issues.. or perhaps they think for themselves and don't listen to smug, self-righteous, shallow-minded kneejerk liberals who think cute one-liners are a substitute for reasoned thinking.

------------------
                  Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

In a choice between two evils, always choose the lesser one.

Personally I'd rather have Jessie Ventura as pres.
                    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                    Matrox P
                    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                    LianLiPC70

Comment

Us Europeans, we will now just sit here and watch your candidates competing in s*it throwin... oops I mean your presidential campaigns an lawsuits.

Topic: BUSH ROXZ0RS!! GORE SUXZ0RS!!

Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

The Queen is nothing more than a figure head.
                        In theory she does have power, in practice she doesn't.
                        She can't simply pass a law or anything like that - this would be too close to a dictatorship.
                        All laws still come through parliament.
                        Every role she has is simply traditional, opening of parliament, accepting the defeated Prime Ministers resignation etc.

Personal Opinion:
                        Our country could save a lot of money every year if we didn't have a royal family.
                        The royal's are nothing more than a tourist attraction, one that costs the UK people a lot of money.
                        Every role they take could be filled just as easily by the government.
                        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Yep get rid of her and all the other hanger oners.
                          Apart from that waiting for the G800 is most annoying.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                          X