FLORIDA! FLORIDA! FLORIDA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLORIDA! FLORIDA! FLORIDA!

CAN'T THEY COUNT FASTER! I CAN'T STAND IT!

The suspense is getting to me.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

GOD i KNOW! It will be awhile although everything I've seen looks like it is leaning towards Bush

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

The country goes the way of Florida. Apparently, Bush has a 30,000 vote lead in Florida, a lead that has been steadily shrinking.

I expect it depends on how much of the vote has been counted in Dade County, Tampa, and the Panhandle. I've heard several conflicting reports.

The polls closed there seven hours ago.

Iowa just went to Gore. It's all up to the slow counters.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

The biggest concern for me is the fact that most of the absentees(sp?) are republicans and that is what they are counting now. And I mean for Florida only.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

If the projections are correct, it's over. Sheesh. All those Supreme Court appointments...

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Oh Great! Introducing our new president- Tommy Smothers.
            chuck

I will hate Ralph Nader for the rest of my life.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Ralph Nader, unsafe at any speed.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

OMFG it's down to 600 votes!
                I'm gonna bust a gasket waiting for this!
                Iyeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............
                chuck
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

The Associated Press has sent out an advisory to it's affiliates: two Florida counties have reported numbers that might change the lead. The Gore campaign has called the Bush campaign and rescinded their concession.

The difference in Florida is apparently less than 6,000 with Bush still in the lead.

Update/Edit: The New York Times have stopped the presses to avoid a Truman/Dewey situation.

What is going on in Florida?

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 08 November 2000).]

Comment

Uh-oh. Gore is ahead in the nation-wide count. If Florida goes to Bush, he wins in the Electoral College, despite the possibility of Gore winning the popular vote.

A lot of people might get a really nasty civics lesson tomorrow.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

'What is going on in Florida? '

I don't know if this is old news to you, but the BBC are claiming there may be a recount in Florida.

Comment

Sorry. It was a rhetorical question.

Paul
                        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

np - this is the first news I've had a chance to look at this morning so it could be hours old for all I know

Comment

Florida is only half the problem, by the way.

To those of you not intimately familiar with the way Americans elect presidents:

The presidential election is not decided by direct popular vote. Each state is assigned a group of electors based on population. If a candidate wins the popular vote of a state, he or she get all of the states electors. It is mathematically possible for Gore to win a majority of the popular vote and lose in the Electoral College.

What's happening is the election is quite close. The State of Florida has a considerable amount of electoral votes (25), and whomever wins the state wins in the College of Electors and wins the election. Gore won my home state, California, the largest in the Union. We're on the West Coast, our votes have yet to be fully counted because of time zone and population conisderations, and Gore may have won big. If he does, he may very well win the popular vote and lose the election.

It hasn't happened in a very long time. It may happen today.

Some counts have Bush and Gore within just over 200 votes of each other in Florida. Florida law requires an automatic recount when an election is this close. Also, voting "irregularities" have been reported in two counties. To complicate matters even further, George W. Bush's brother is Florida's Governer. It's a real mess.

Paul
                            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

National:
                              <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 border=0 width=492><tr><td width=6><spacer type=block width=6 height=1></td><td align=left width=210>Candidate</td><td align=center width=90>Popular
                              vote</td><td align=center width=50>% of
                              vote</td><td align=center width=70>States
                              won</td><td align=center width=70>Electoral
                              votes won</td><td width=6><spacer type=block width=6 height=1></td></tr><tr><td width=6><spacer type=block width=6 height=1></td><td valign=top align=left>Al Gore (DEM)</td><td align=right>47,754,683</td><td align=center>49</td><td align=center>19</td><td align=center>249</td><td width=6><spacer type=block width=6 height=1></td></tr><tr><td width=6><spacer type=block width=6 height=1></td><td align=left>George W. Bush (REP)</td><td align=right>47,492,274</td><td align=center>48</td><td align=center>29</td><td align=center>246</td></tr></table>

Florida:
                              <table><tr><td width=6><spacer type=block width=1 height=1></td><td align=left valign=bottom width=300>Candidate</td><td class=category align=right valign=bottom width=100>Votes</td><td align=right valign=bottom width=80>% of vote</td><td width=6><spacer type=block width=1 height=1></td></tr><tr><td width=6><spacer type=block width=6 height=1></td><td width=300 valign=top align=left>George W. Bush (REP)</td><td valign=top align=right width=100>2,905,390</td><td valign=top align=right>49</td><td width=6><spacer type=block width=6 height=1></td></tr><tr><td width=6><spacer type=block width=6 height=1></td><td width=300 valign=top align=left>Al Gore (DEM)</td><td valign=top align=right width=100>2,904,403</td><td valign=top align=right>49</td><td width=6><spacer type=block width=6 height=1></td></tr></table>

As Paul says - Bush could win Florida by a few votes and take the entire nation, despite not having the majority vote. I think Florida will decide this - Bush gets 25 electoral votes taking him over the magical number. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

So then, is it a felony for me to ask you's who you voted for?

Over here I think Bush sounds the best, even our Foreign Secretary thought so! What's your opinions on the pair? (to both Americans and the rest of the world)

Paul.

[This message has been edited by Pace (edited 08 November 2000).]
                              Meet Jasmine.
                              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                              X