Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekly DVD thread!!! Because VHS sucks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekly DVD thread!!! Because VHS sucks...

New DVD's that Jammrock has, or wants to get!

Mission: Impossible 2 - Watched it last night. That's such a cool mindless action flick. John Woo is an awesome director. A must get for all mindless action movie fans.

Titan A.E. - Haven't had time to watch it yet, but I've seen it at the theaters. This is definately Don Bluth's best flick (except maybe The Secret of Nimh). Highly recommended, even if you don't like animated movies, and I'm not talking anime, because this isn't an anime. It's like Disney, but not as mushy.

Transformers The Movie - Haven't found it yet, still looking. Must buy, buy, BUY!!!

Anime:

Cowboy Bebop DVD 6 - The grand finale for Cowboy Bebop comes out this week! I haven't seen it yet, but I hear it has one of the best endings in anime history. Can't wait.

Martian Successor Nadesico - This is a great series. It's got sci-fi, action, mecha and a whole lot of comedy. Hell, they make fun of their own show in this series.

Slayer's Next Box Set - Slayer Next is the sequel to The Slayers. A must get for all Slayers fans. It's a fantasy comedy that's absolutely hilarious, for anyone who wants to know.

That should cover it from my end for today. Comments, news and additional reviews are welcome =)

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Got Transformers!

The only problems I've found with it are:

1. Audio in the menus is skewed to the right-hand side, and very tinny. Who was the brainiac who fell asleep at the mixing board?

2. All the copies in my local Suncoast had a bad press of the disc - meaning there's what looks like an oil slick between the outer casing and the actual disc medium. Seems to play fine, but I imagine it will give crappy players some trouble - last CD (audio) I had like that wouldn't play in most car changers.

Other than that, kickass movie (although not as kickass as it was when I was 12)!

Titan A.E.: Very cool.

Anime: Lots of it is now on my Christmas list, the only thing I'm "buying" before then is Evangelion.

Anyone know if Pitch Black was any good? And/or worth getting on DVD?

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Heh, VHS does suck.

I just bought Ninja Scroll last Friday. What a damn cool movie. The animation was very good, and the fight sequences just plain rocked. Who knew that one man could fight off an entire army of ninjas?

I've been thinking about buying Titan AE and Transformers, but I've been spending too much money lately as is.

Evangelion though, I think I'm going to have to make an exception for that one. I may have to do the same for Gundam Wing Operation 2.

On the normal movie front, The Patriot is out, and I still haven't seen it... I think that one is going to go on my Christmas wish list though, along with Titan AE and Transformers.

Ian
      Primary System:
      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
      Seccondary System:
      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
      Tertiary system
      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

I saw Pitch Black in the theater, I don't think it would translate to DVD very well, it's all monochrome yellows and grays, you'd probably pick up on any banding quite easily, and your display would be saturated most of the time or look like it's off. Sound would probably be good.

Comment

I have Pitch Black - Unrated Version on DVD (didn't know it was the unrated until I was walking out of the store). Even when the movie goes into the funky color mode the colors look just fine, and I'm using a 2 year old player. It was Panasonics top of the line player at the time, but still. If you liked the movie in the theaters, the DVD is a must get.

The Patriot is a good transfer, too. Haven't bought it, but I rented it. "And you're trusting the French?"

An anime that should be on everyone's wish list is Princess Mononoke! Miyazaki at his best. The DVD is being mixed on Dolby Surround EX 6.1 audio for English and Dobly Digital 5.1 for Japanese. Talk about going all out.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I didn't see Pitch Black, but I do remember a very humorous review of it in the paper. The title of the review was "Pitch Stupid", and it got 1/2 of a star . However, since I rarely agree with the critics, it's probably pretty good.

------------------
            Andrew
            Carpe Cerevisi
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I'd hop on Transformers, HedsSpaz.

It's a limited pressing, so what you see in stores now is all there will be. There was exactly one non-reserved copy at my local Suncoast. And they can't get any more.

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
              X