Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody from the Washington area ??? Sightseeing tips nedded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody from the Washington area ??? Sightseeing tips nedded!

Going to Washington in a weeks time (work related), so I was wondering if there was anything I HAVE to see, if I get the time (cool museums and such)????

------------------
    Too bad you can't buy a voodoo globe so that you could make the earth spin real fast and freak everybody out.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

First go to a coffeshop, get high, then buy a bycicle from a junkie on Koningsplein, then get loaded in some travesty club. And last but not least have sex with a hooker for 25$.

Oh no wait thats Amsterdam...

I love my town... sigh...

Love to see USA though...
    In case it's a harware problem:
    PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
    Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

Washington as in DC? I lived not to far from there a few years back and I have family that I visit there fairly often. I can give you a few tips if you are speaking of DC and not the state.

Ian
      Primary System:
      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
      Seccondary System:
      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
      Tertiary system
      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Take the metro, go to the Mall and visit all of the Smithsonium museums you can. There are maps posted all over on street corners. To see them all in detail would be a week of nothing but sightseeing. That and the monuments are the best. They are on the mall also.

My favorite museums are the Air and Space museum and the Natural History museum. American History museum is cool.

The art galleries are all very good. Right across the Potomac River (by the Lincoln Memorial) there is Arlington National Cemetery. Robert E. Lee's home is very nice. Makes you appreciate the sacrifice others have made for your freedom.

As HedsSpaz said below, the Tombs of the Unknowns is a must-see. I have never been to the Holocaust Museum.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 06 November 2000).]

Comment

I'll second Brians notion of Arlington. The cemetery is a must. It's an absolutely beautiful place. It's definately prettier in the spring, but it's a wonderful place to visit nonetheless. If you don't get to do anything else make absoultely certain you go see the Tomb of the Unknow Soldier and watch the changing of the gaurd. It may not seem like much to some, but IMO there is something very special and touching about it.

The Lincoln memorial is definately worth a visit as well if you have time. Don't bother with the Jefferson memorial, it's not nearly as impressive.

You could spend months wandering around in the Smithsonian museums. I also thoroughly enjoy the Air and Space museum, but thats largely because of the type of person I am. They are all fabulous to visit though.

One last thing. The Holocaust museum. This may be a touchy subject for many. But this museum is awe inspiring. You may end up crying before you leave. It's certainly not a happy place to visit, but it is IMHO one of the most incredible museums I have ever been to. The subtle architecture combined with the not so subtle subject combine to slam the truth of the holocaust home with an undeniable force. It's an extremely powerful place to visit and if you are up to it is a very memorable experience.

So, those are my top choices. There are certainly more than a few other wonderful places to visit, but for a first trip, those are what I would consider.

Ian
          Primary System:
          MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
          120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
          Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
          Seccondary System:
          Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
          3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
          Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
          Tertiary system
          Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
          Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Working...
          X