Mediaplayer 7 rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediaplayer 7 rant

I posted this somewhere in another topic, but I realised I want to give it more attention

/rant

Mediaplayer7 ?
    That's the biggest, ugliest, unusable, piece of shit I have ever seen coming from any softwarecompany.
    Installed it, looked at it, couldn't turn off that ugly ugly interface, uninstalled it, shivered.

What's with that icon/balk on the bottom of the screen when choosing 'compact'? WHY IS THAT? WHAT THE HeLL IS IT FOR?! To choose: 'back to full ugly features'? What if you don't want them and stay compact 'for ever'? You will always see that win3.11 looking icon/bar in your screen?
    Aaararagghh!HH!

/end rant

In case it's a harware problem:
    PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
    Win2K drivers: 5.52

Media Player 7 has several serious flaws. They are as follows:

1. Slow.
    2. Bulky.
    3. Slow.
    4. Please please please PLEASE tell me how to turn that crap off without choosing the "Mplayer6 Skin"!
    5. Slow.
    6. The media library always loads up. I don't want those damn stupid things on the left-hand side. Ever. Make them go away.
    7. Slow.
    8. Some codecs are broken, and some won't load, although they loaded fine in MPlayer6.
    9. Slow.
    10. SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW AS MUDDDDDDD.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm, I'm not sure you mentioned slow?

Frankly it hard locks my machine every time I try to play a CD. I'm not touching it _ever_ again.

Uberlad

------------------
      -------------------------
      8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
      5 out of 10 referred to me by name.
      -------------------------
      8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
      5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Must be me or ME again, but I don't have that many probs with MP7. At least it plays my CDs in full stereo, what WinAmp still refuses to do. Could be a codec wrong or whatever, I don't know

I must say I didn't d/l MP7, but installed it from the Win ME CD. It got a lot of better skins and visualizations (who uses them, btw? I don't!!) than the d/led 98 version had.

But one nag: I tried uninstalling MP7 once, only to find that you can't. It's NOT in Add/Remove Software, it's got NO uninstall file in it's folder. And Win ME refuses to start without MP7 (I tried )

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

to disable that disgusting anchor, FaRaN, go to Tools, Options, and uncheck everything under Player Settings.

Jason, check under Tools, Options, Media Library, set everything to no access, and uncheck add purchased music to media library.

Also, when you set the path to your library to A:\ but don't have a diskette in A:\, your library won't load

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Wha! I CAN uninstall it, cause I downloaded it. I am the lucky one here!

One more point:

Mediaplayer7 is defenitly not fast...

Comment

Does anybody know how to stop it connecting to the net whenever you open it?

Or, if you are connected already, it loads up some shit from Microsoft.

Im sure its sending data about what music youve played to msn passport or something.

I cant see any options to stop it loading, and Ive played with most of them.

oh, and its SLOW

Ali

Comment

To try to prevent it connecting to net:
                Untick everything in the Player tab and set upgrade check to once a month (there's one thing I'd like changed: Never check!). In Media Library mode give no access to everything.

And as for uninstalling you can only do it with some downloaded versions and almost certainly not WinMe (it must be part of the OS ).

I do like it although there is a few things I'd change. I like the Media Library mainly (play your entire music collection by Artist, Album, Genre or custom playlist) and my family really likes it. What good media players do you guys recommend?

Paul.

Meet Jasmine.
                flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Does anybody know how to disable the Automatically Search for a New Codec Somewhere On the Web feature of MP6 that shipped with 2000?

And please please please don't tell me to fix it with MP7.

b
                  Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

That can be removed...

I wasn't going to bother responding to this drivel of a rant but I thought I should put you right.

Paul.

------------------
                    Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
                    Computer Solutions | Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal | Pace Central
                    Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
                    Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
                    Meet Jasmine.
                    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Looks ugly try another skin then. Doesn't work qwell it works fine for me. Still if you don't like it remove it.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yeah like I said, uninstalled it the moment I saw it

Should have put some more smilies in my post, as some people actually rate a rant, and even consider replying on them.
                        (rants = drivels, in my opinion)

Comment

All my audio goes through Winamp, and movies through the previous mediaplayer.

Comment

Hi Pace
                            As an alternative media player,I would recommend Jet Audio found at www.cowon.com
                            It's really fast and can play all types of media.Plus it can apply some nifty sound effects alongwith a music system type of interface.
                            Cheers
                            Ovi

Comment

Luckily as Himself himself mentioned Microsoft noticed what a monster they created in Media Player 7, so even in Windows Me they left mplayer2.exe in \program files\windows media player.

Run it, go to options and make it the default player for all types.

One thing I hate in MP7 although nobody mentioned it yet is that it is slow.

Comment

Working...
                              X