Seti move over for some more serious calculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seti move over for some more serious calculations

Another downside is Entropia will make money off of this. Helping them make a profit is not something I'll do for free.

How to fight AIDS:

Sit Down and keep your mouth shut.
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Crude.

Comment

quoted from Bixler :"How to fight AIDS:
        Sit Down and keep your mouth shut"
        is this advice out of personal experience?? lol

Comment

Yeah, it was crude and probably a little inappropriate and insensitive and politically incorrect, and, and, and...Oh well.

The unpleasant truth is, however, this ugly disease is mostly a matter of lifestyle. Don't want to risk it?

Don't do the things that transmit it.

Apologies to any one whom I may have offended....it is an awful scourge.

Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Brian R.

So trying to NOT let Entropia make money is more important to you then fighting aids? Did I get that right?
            Correct me if I'm wrong.
            In case it's a harware problem:
            PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
            Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

Don't get self-righteous with me. I will not make money for a company who doesn't pay me. I would glady loan my computers to a non-profit organization. The cause is irrelevant.

How do you know what they are sending you? Take their word for it? Not likely. When money enters into a situation, greed can make funny things happen and I don't want any part of it.

If they are a profit-making organization, let them buy computing power. They can write off the depreciation on income taxes. Other companies do exactly what they are proposing, only internally. Why not them? Why give them an advantage over Smith-Kline Beacham, for example? If they cannot afford computers, they cannot afford lab techs to test the huge number of candidates found by such a procedure. I'm betting they only want candidate compounds for patent registration to screw other companies legally. You want a credibility check? Find out if they are willing to share their data with other companies. That falls under the "Fat Chance" category.

Call me a cynic, but no thanks.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 01 November 2000).]

Comment

I gotta weigh in in BrianR's corner on this one. FaRaN--I followed your links, and this whole thing smells to me.
                "From time to time Entropia will run commercial applications on your computer"
                No thanks!! You're not cynical BrianR, this project is. Playing on people's good will and making money from it.

I've got a better idea, or at least more honest. Send them a check instead of your free CPU time. That way you'll never have to wonder what "commercial applications" are running on your computer.

Comment

Seti move over for some more serious calculations

You now can put your idle CPU-power to some greater use: Fighting AIDS!
                  http://www.fightaidsathome.com http://www.entropia.com

Downside: The software is coded by a bunch of cows on crack. Usability? Forget usablity!

Comment

OK, you made me think... I'll check it out...

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R.:

How do you know what they are sending you? Take their word for it? Not likely.
                      Tell me exatly how you examine the data sent you from Seti@home project? For all you know, you could be cracking Russian U-boat communications.
                      Just curious..

:
                      B

Comment

I trust non-profit organizations backed by donations from a plethora of well-known companies and individuals. They are also quite open about the calculations performed, goals of the project, and origins of the data sent. This provides all the credibility I need. SETI passes the credibility check. Not enough for others? Not my problem.

Comment

Marko, I've worked with several different types of encryption schemes before (military and civilian) and can say this is not a sub transmission. (it could be something else tho
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The unpleasant truth is, however, this ugly disease is mostly a matter of lifestyle. Don't want to risk it?
                            I am not sure if that comment is justified. I have seen too many full-blown AIDS patients many of whom are female, and many children….

I’m pretty sure that if you were on the operating table, you would want blood now and question the risks later… Sorry

Anyway, any organisation (profitable or non-profitable) that could develop a cure gets my full support.
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

One fact that needs to be kept in mind. All drug companies (and I deal with many of them) are marketing driven. That means that the object of their research is not to cure AIDS or ARDS or ALS. The object of their research is to make money.

You want to help develop a cure for AIDS? Get a degree in virology or molecular biology as my wife did. Or donate money to a charity that demonstrably gives a significant portion of their donations to AIDS research. Don't give misplaced support to a company who answers only to their stockholders, most of whom only care about the value of their portfolio.

Think I'm cynical in this regard? Ever hear of FDA's Orphan Drug Act?? (No, it doesn't promote developing drugs for orphans ) It addresses just this issue. There are hundreds of cures for diseases that never see the light of day. Why? Because there are not enough patients dying or bedridden to justify further drug development and manufacturing in the viewpoint of the drug companies. Under 200,000 patients makes drug development cost ineffective. (The Orphan Drug Act defines orphan products as ones used to treat diseases or conditions affecting fewer than 200,000 persons in the United States). See:
                              http://www.fda.gov/orphan/about/progovw.htm

The Orphan Drug Act was instituted by FDA to promote development of these drugs by giving companies monetary benefits and additional exclusivity. Think about it. Where are their priorities?

In reality, the drug companies spend an exorbinant amount of money and time on AIDS research. Any contributions the average person can make are insignificant. The best way to help with this disease is to do public service by helping patients with food, medicine, transportation, companionship. That is how we can make a difference.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 02 November 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X