Does anyone here roleplay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here roleplay?

And no, I don't mean in the bedroom. (wink!)

Some of you may recall I am working on a gaming system project (pretty ambitious). Well, I backed off from it a bit because a more pressing (and quickly completable) idea has arrived.

My brother has started a Menzobarranzan campaign with his roleplaying group (modified to use AD&D Core Rules 3), and my wife and I have joined. However, since our time is limited (campaign must be completed by end of his schoolyear in May since half the players are graduating), and we can't meet more than once a week (if that often), he wants to conduct the campaign at least partially online.

So we started looking into Dungeonmaster's assistants and/or online roleplaying tools - and discovered that there are several and that they all SUCK.

So we're writing one. We're going to eventually license it up to use the AD&D, White Wolf, and other systems.

Anyone do any roleplaying with their friends and want to try it out in a week or two once I have it ready for testing?

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

doh!
    man did I have a reply for you until I read your first line
    jim
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Sure, I roleplay all the time. When I see my exwife, I roleplay as a politician, when I see my mother I roleplay as a good guy, when I see a beautiful lady I roleplay as a sensitive guy

Rags

Comment

Does your reference to in the bedroom mean that stuff can't take place outside the bedroom? Cause if it can, I think I'd have to say YES!

Dimitri
        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
        --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

All obscure references aside, I played D&D 3 last night with some friends. I have a weakling level 2 Human Cleric. I'm still itching to start a barbarian.

I'm sure I could get a group of my RPG friends to help test it out. Email me, Gurm.

Jammrock

------------------
          Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

That would be VERY cool Gurm. The Alternity campaign I was in just ended 2 weeks ago(not permanently but indefinately for the moment).

The 3E campaign I'm in just completed a major goal last night and we're taking a break for a few weeks so the DM can get some school work done. What a great campaign, been running for about a year and a half, and we aren't quite halfway done with our eventual goal. I've got a 9th lvl human Ranger who carries not one, but two cans of whoop ass around with him.

Since I'm going to be returning to school in January, I would love to be able to continue to play with the guys and some software that enabled me to do that would be pretty dang cool. Anyway, I've got a pretty hardcore group of RPG addict friends that I'm quite sure that I could get to help test it out.

Ian
            Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
            Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Yeah, sounds like you guys will be a big help. Here's what we found so far - there are several programs which do essentially what we want, which is have several windows - chat, character sheet, map, maybe dice.

BUT, they all have serious issues. The OpenSource one won't even install on my machine (it uses a Windows version of TCL/Tk! URK!), there's one in Java that is HIDEOUSLY slow and ugly, and a couple of them use some totally esoteric, non-user-friendly "object" system.

*sigh* They're probably well programmed, even. But you have to HIDE the internals from the users. Heh. So we're going ahead with it. Might be set back a couple of weeks since I have to go out of town to work.

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
              X