Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The last Celeron system has left Datastudion i Strängnäs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last Celeron system has left Datastudion i Strängnäs!

More than a month ago we shipped our last celermine system at my work.
    Duron systems are faster and less expensive even with PC133sdram!

The only Celeron system we have left has the glorious work to run Final Reality 24 hours a day at the shops window.
    (its made out of spare parts and i liable to be striped for parts if anyone wants them.)

------------------
    Intel PIII-800/133MHz MSI 6337
    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
    SBlive
    256 MB RAM CAS2
    43GB HDD Space!(Actual 60GB) (30+30 IBM DTLA 30GB drives)
    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
    SONY CRX140E 8/4/32 CDRW
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Still if you are building a system tats going to be used only for office aplications a Celeron system is cheaper thanx to the 815 chipset!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Well..
      If we could get our hands on 600MHz Celerons maybe...

Situation is as follows:
      We can get our hands on Duron 600MHz 96$
      But the smallest Celeron we can get our hands on is: 700Mhz 140$

MSI 6337 (I815): 122$
      MSI 6340 (KT133,Socket A) 104$
      (both have onboard sound)
      (Aopen : to friggin big.
      Asus : to friggin expensive
      MSI : "D-LED" nothing else has to be said.)
      (Aopen AK33 was so Big i almost had to modifie our standard miditower box)
      Differens betwen PC100 and PC133 is 10$

A SIS 8MB AGPcard goes for 30$

140+122=262

96+105+30=231

(all prises is retail and whitout local tax)
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

We use ABIT SE6 boards (about 25$ cheaper than MSI)! And the cheapest graphics card that we offer at the moment is ATI's rage 128, so the celeron comes out ~20$ cheaper for us! But that was with the celeron 600MHz the slowest model at the moment is the 667MHz one so it might just be that the duron comes out cheaper for us as well at the moment (I have to check)!

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Except you can't ignore that the Celeron really performs a lot worse than the $20 difference seems to justify.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I wouldn't say it performs a lot worse, because it just doesn't.

Comment

I'd personally choose a celery over the amd. I just don't like AMD. Full Stop. I have something in my mind which makes me choose intel everytime.

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Sorry to say it but....
                Our only one of our retailers have competative prices and they don't sell abit!

Overclocking is not aloved and it is a paine in the **s :
                "I baught your crappy ram, it fried at 140mhz, it should at least cut 160Mhz, i want my money back!
                Said the customer who baught our cheapest, oldest PC100 32MB stick!

None of the four retailers i phoned ona friday last month could even give me an ETA on any Celeron belove 633 and the were realy rare and celerons aren't cheap anymore because of shortage.

The price on Durons dropped last week with 10$!
                It's liable to raise again but who knows?
                Dear AMD please continue to produce Duron 600 another 6 months at least 3 months

Ati cards????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????

The shop im working at has been in the buisnes since 1981!
                And ATI has been on our *hit list a loong time.
                (that doesent men that they are totaly unusable:
                "I want a cheap grafiks card, my old one blew last night, do you got one that can handle 105MHz agp?"
                "no but i have an cheap ATI"
                "great, i'l take it!"

Give me a hard fact that a equaly clocked Celeron beats a Duron?

Comment

I'm not saying a Celeron is faster, I am just saying it's not a lot of difference.

Rags

Comment

A celeron is not much faster than a K6-3 clock for clock.

Comment

It all depends on what you use to benchmark

Comment

It's about the same degree that the Duron is faster than the Celeron.

EDIT:

Actually, you are right, in some benchmarks, the K6-3 was much faster than the Celeron.

It's kind of like the video card thing, the best solution for business is not necessarily the fastest in games.

[This message has been edited by Himself (edited 22 October 2000).]

Comment

Yes, the Celeron was slower than a K63 at the same clock speed in some benchmarks. Big deal. As I've stated everywhere before, benchmarks are the end-all be-all when it comes to computers. I had a K6-3 (450 Mhz) myself, and it was a fine system, once you neutered a few things to get it stable. It's just funny to see the AMD fan section come out and say "Well the Duron Smokes the Celeron, so it MUST be a better deal", when just a year ago these same people were saying "Yeah, well the K62 does just as good as a P2 and celeron in such and such bench, benches are intel favored anyhow, etc. etc.". The K63 was higher in benches that were integer based, yet on my system it was slower than a lower clocked celeron 300A when compiling programs, and even more so than when the celery was turned up to 504. The point I am trying to make is that you have to base your system on your needs, and not some benchmark. And the poor K6-3 just wasn't a great proposition for AMD. It was far too difficult to get great yields on the speeds they were shipping, much less ramp them up. It's really too bad, because it was a rather swift chip.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 22 October 2000).]

Comment

Well...
                            about the wich is faster question...
                            At work there is a Duron 600 that is not claimed by a happy soul thats going to recieve a Geforce MX tommorow for further benshing...
                            That Geforce mx erlier was in a C633 BX system so i have the compettiting benches done..

BTW
                            The problem with the K6 series was a Crappy FPU and even crappier Motherboards.

Duron(and Athlon) has a FPU that eats barbwire and spits nails.

I do not trust Motherboards with VIA chipset's further than i can throw them.
                            But i still have to use them...

Comment

Rags,

I've always agreed that the Celeron was the faster cpu than the K6-3 for games, but it depends on the config. I used to be impressed by Celeron performance while I had a K6-2, but with a K6-3 and better video card drivers over time, I found the difference to be less impressive. I've seen individuals post benchmark scores and I've read reviews and roundups within the last few months even where the K6-3 scores I had personally were identical or very close to Celerons. So, yes, I think the Duron lead is about the same as that of a Celeron over a K6-3, it's not multiples or anything, but it's there.

BTW, I've never had to disable anything to get stability on SS7, there have been a few things I couldn't enable like AGP 1 WS reads and have complete reliability, but that was disabled by default.

Technoid,

Go for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X