Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abaut

Checking Guru's Abaut at The Dictionary gives:

No entry found for "abaut" in the dictionary.

Suggestions:

abut
    ablaut
    about
    abaft
    Abut
    Ablaut
    About
    Abaft
    abut
    ablaut
    about
    abaft
    BAUT
    ABAT
    <hr>
    <u>About:</u>
    ud-
    Important derivatives are: out, utmost, carouse, outlaw, utter1, utter2, but, about, ersatz, hubris.

a.out; utmost, from Old English t, out;
    b.carouse; auslander, from Old High German z, out;
    c.outlaw, from Old Norse t, out;
    d.uitlander, from Middle Dutch ute, uut, out;
    e.utter1, from Middle Low German t, out;
    f.utter2, from Old English tera, outer, from Germanic suffixed (comparative) form *t-era-;
    g.but; about, from Old English btan, bte, outside (adverb), from Germanic compound *bi-tana, “at the outside” (*bi-, by,
    at; see ambhi). a, b, c, d, e, f, and g all from Germanic *t-, out.
    2.Extended form *uds.
    a.ersatz, from Old High German irsezzan, to replace, from ir-, out;
    b.ort, from Middle Dutch oor, out;
    c.(see dail-) Germanic *uz-dailjam, “a portioning out,” judgment;
    d.Ursprache, from Old High German ur-, out of, original. a, b, c, and d all from Germanic *uz, *uz-, out.
    3.Suffixed (comparative) form *ud-tero-. hysteresis, hysteron proteron, from Greek husteros, later, second, after.
    4.hubris, from Greek compound hubris, violence, outrage, insolence (bri-, perhaps “heavy,” “violent”; see gwer-1), from hu-.
    5.vigorish, from Russian vy-, out.

[Pokorny d- 1103.]

Pronunciation Key

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition
    Copyright © 1996, 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

a·bout (-bout)
    adv. Abbr. a., ab., abt.

1.Approximately; nearly: The interview lasted about an hour.
    2.Almost: The job is about done.
    3.To a reversed position or direction: Turn about and walk away slowly.
    4.In no particular direction: wandering about with no place to go.
    5.All around; on every side: Let's look about for help.
    6.In the area or vicinity; near: spoke to a few spectators standing about.
    7.In succession; one after another: Turn about is fair play.

prep.

1.On all sides of; surrounding: I found an English garden all about me.
    2.In the vicinity of; around: explored the rivers and streams about the estate.
    3.Almost the same as; close to; near.
    a.In reference to; relating to; concerned with: a book about snakes; objectivitya part of what biography is about.
    b.In the act or process of: While you're about it, please clean your room.
    5.In the possession or innate character of: Keep your wits about you.
    a.Ready or prepared to do something: The chorus is about to sing.
    b.Usage Problem. Used with a negative to indicate strong intention: I am not about to concede the point.

adj.

1.Moving here and there; astir: The patient is up and about.
    2.Being in evidence or existence: Rumors are about concerning his resignation.

[Middle English from Old English onbtan: on, in; see on + btan, outside; see ud- in Indo-European Roots.]

Usage Note: The construction not about to is often used to express determination: We are not about to negotiate with terrorists. A
    majority of the Usage Panel considers this usage acceptable in speech but not in formal writing. · About is traditionally used to refer to the
    relation between a narrative and its subject: a book about Cézanne, a movie about the Boston Massacre. This use has lately been extended
    to refer to the relation between various nonlinguistic entities and the things they make manifest, as in The party was mostly about showing off
    their new offices or His designs are about the use of rough-textured materials. This practice probably originates with the expression
    That's what it's all about and may partly reflect implicit deference to the postmodern doctrine that every social artifact and activity can be
    regarded as a text subject to interpretation. But the usage is still too voguish to have won general acceptance; it is rejected by 59 percent of
    the Usage Panel in the example A designer teapot isn't about making tea; it is about letting people know that you have a hundred
    dollars to spend on a teapot.

Pronunciation Key

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition
    Copyright © 1996, 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

About \A*bout"\, prep. [OE. aboute, abouten, abuten; AS. [=a]butan, onbutan; on + butan, which is from be by + utan outward, from ut out. See But,
    Out.] 1. Around; all round; on every side of. ``Look about you.'' --Shak. ``Bind them about thy neck.'' --Prov. iii. 3.

2. In the immediate neighborhood of; in contiguity or proximity to; near, as to place; by or on (one's person). ``Have you much money about you?''
    --Bulwer.

3. Over or upon different parts of; through or over in various directions; here and there in; to and fro in; throughout.

Lampoons . . . were handed about the coffeehouses. --Macaulay.

Roving still about the world. --Milton.

4. Near; not far from; -- determining approximately time, size, quantity. ``To-morrow, about this time.'' --Exod. ix. 18. ``About my stature.'' --Shak.

He went out about the third hour. --Matt. xx. 3.

Note: This use passes into the adverbial sense.

5. In concern with; engaged in; intent on.

I must be about my Father's business. --Luke ii. 49.

6. Before a verbal noun or an infinitive: On the point or verge of; going; in act of.

Paul was now aboutto open his mouth. --Acts xviii. 14.

7. Concerning; with regard to; on account of; touching. ``To treat about thy ransom.'' --Milton.

She must have her way about Sarah. --Trollope.
    Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

About \A*bout"\, adv. 1. On all sides; around.

'Tis time to look about. --Shak.

2. In circuit; circularly; by a circuitous way; around the outside; as, a mile about, and a third of a mile across.

3. Here and there; around; in one place and another.

Wandering about from house to house. --1 Tim. v. 13.

4. Nearly; approximately; with close correspondence, in quality, manner, degree, etc.; as, about as cold; about as high; -- also of quantity, number, time.
    ``There fell . . . about three thousand men.'' --Exod. xxii. 28.

5. To a reserved position; half round; in the opposite direction; on the opposite tack; as, to face about; to turn one's self about.

To bring about, to cause to take place; to accomplish.

To come about, to occur; to take place. See under Come.

To go about, To set about, to undertake; to arrange; to prepare. ``Shall we set about some revels?'' --Shak.

Round about, in every direction around.
    Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
    <hr>
    About adj : on the move; "up and about"; "the whole town was astir over the incident" [syn: about(p), astir(p)] adv 1: (of quantities) imprecise but fairly
    close to correct; "lasted approximately an hour"; "in just about a minute"; "he's about 30 years old"; "I've had about all I can stand"; "we meet about once a
    month"; "some forty people came"; "weighs around a hundred pounds"; "roughly $3,000"; "holds 3 gallons, more or less"; "20 or so people were at the
    party" [syn: approximately, close to, just about, some, roughly, more or less, around, or so] 2: all around or on all sides; "dirty clothes lying around (or
    about)"; "let's look about for help"; "There were trees growing all around"; "she looked around her" [syn: around] 3: in the area or vicinity; "a few spectators
    standing about"; "hanging around"; "waited around for the next flight" [syn: around] 4: to or among many different places or in no particular direction;
    "wandering about with no place to go"; "people were rushing about"; "news gets around (or about)"; "traveled around in Asia"; "he needs advice from
    someone who's been around"; "she sleeps around" [syn: around] 5: in or to a reversed position or direction; "about face"; "brought the ship about";
    "suddenly she turned around" [syn: around] 6: in rotation or succession; "turn about is fair play" 7: (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite
    accomplished; "the job is (just) about done"; "the baby was almost asleep when the alarm sounded"; "we're almost finished"; "the car all but ran her down";
    "he nearly fainted"; "talked for nigh onto 2 hours"; "the recording is well-nigh perfect"; "virtually all the parties signed the contract"; (`near' is used informally
    for `nearly' as in "I was near exhausted by the run"; `most' is used informally for `almost' as in "most everybody agrees") [syn: just about, almost, most, all
    but, nearly, near, nigh, virtually, well-nigh]
    <hr>
    Geez.
    Jordâ„¢

Well sorry Mr. Perfect!!!!!!! Would you like me to write in a different language that I know better! Shall we all start posting in let's say swedish or finish? Then lets see who makes more errors you or me?

I think that as long as you understand what I'm trying to say it should be enough!

Now let's see...

abut no
    ablaut no
    about maybe
    abaft no
    Abut no
    Ablaut no
    About hmmm
    Abaft nop
    abut is that A but?
    ablaut huh
    about no
    abaft no
    BAUT no
    ABAT no

Just Translate it to A BUT everytime you see me writing from now on if you like!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

LOL, I knew you'd throw a fit at me while I posted the above

Btw, it's a butt, while you're at it

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jag tror att nån "fittläpp" här borde ta och läsa forum survival guiden!

------------------

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

sounds like a load of greek to me!!

Comment

Hey. The last time I and swampy corrected Jordan's grammar, we got crap from a few of you. Dave??????

Ciao

Comment

hmmm...? Sounds like trouble. Hang on, I'm going to get my fire retardant suit and put it on.....nah, not worth it. I mean..er..yes! I recall something along those lines but my memory evades me I say we all just try to forget about it and not bring it back up again, deal? DEAL! While we are correcting grammar, it's Jorden, not Jordan All in good fun of course

dAve
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Start the sprinklers!!

Comment

Halon system's charged and ready!
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

aaaahh! who stole the oxygen!??!? Greebe!

Comment

I actualy don't mind if someone corects me if I keep making the same mistace many times!
                      But this I think was going a litle bit to far! I don't like people making fun of someone when they are trying their best! I hope you understand that English is not my first language Swedish is and my second is Finish!!!! I think that before you know how
                      to write in Swedish or Finish as good as I you should not make fun of my speling mistaces (you don't see me making fun of yours)! Jorden have you read the forum survival guide?

...belittling people because they don't have perfect English is strongly discouraged.
                      Well if it's soo that some people don't have to follow it and others do then.....

------------------

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 21 October 2000).]

Comment

I think I should have, Guru. I'm living together with the person who wrote the darn thing

P.S: I had translated half of your Swedish message above. But what did the army have to do with anything?

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Originally posted by Jorden:
                          I think I should have, Guru. I'm living together with the person who wrote the darn thing .
                          Well I know that thats why I thougt you would have read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Jorden:
                          P.S: I had translated half of your Swedish message above. But what did the army have to do with anything?
                          Directly translated to Eng. it reads:

I THINK SOME PUSSYLIPP OVER HERE SHOULD READ THE FORUM SURVIVAL GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW WHERE THE **** DID YOU FIND SOMETHING ABOUT ( THATS A BUTT FOR YOU) AN ARMY???????

NOW IF YOU COULD NOT EVEN TRANSLATE 6 SIMPLE WORDS IN SWEDISH THEN I THINK YOU SHOULD STFU!!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 22 October 2000).]

Comment

Oy ... first things first: If you have a direct complaint at me personally, you could direct it at me personally through email.

Second, I use a Bablefish program to translate things. AV's Babelfish told me this: "I am believing that [nån] "[fittläpp]" army ought capture and peruse [forum] [survival] guide!" ... you tell me more, ****ole

Third, I am now allowed to call you whatever names I like as well, since you directly translated something from Swedish or Finish to me. I use plain English, and it could be worse, I could use Dutch, lul.

Fourth: For someone who just came looking in the forums, you have a pretty big mouth
                            There's always the saying "Please God, help me to keep my big mouth shut, until I know what I am talking about"

Jord.
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Tss and to think I voted for you once in a most helpful MURCer poll!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X