making recovery disk w/ ghost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making recovery disk w/ ghost?

Ok just toget things clear! Under windows you want to make a image file on a cd-r(w) disk? If that is the case then the answer is easy couse Norton ghost can bee run from a normal bootdisk!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Here's how the Jammrock makes his Ghost recovery disks. Make your Ghost image, if it exceeds 640 MB make sure you span the image across multiple files. The command to start ghost with spanning enabled is: ghost -split:640

Once your Ghost image(s) are created, get a Windows 9x/Me boot disk. Now get a good CD-R program like Nero Burning ROM. Put the boot disk in the floppy drive and start a Bootable CD session. Nero will automatically default the bootable CD to the floppy disk.

Now add Ghost.exe, Ghost.env and the first part of the Ghost image to the first CD-R. Burn the disk. Burn the rest of the ghost image to normal CD's.

To restore your drive, all you need to do is set the BIOS to boot to CD-ROM, put in the bootable CD and boot up. Once the startup stuff is done go to your CD and type in Ghost. Point Ghost to the image and restore your drive.

Jammrock

PS - There are lots of other ways to do it automatically by modifying the autoexec.bat, but that would take too long to type.

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanx Jammrock! I could not have said it bether myself!

------------------
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

no offence guys but shouldn't this topic have been posted in general hardware for the widest audience views & comments?

Comment

No offenc taken eayoub_ibrahim. But I don't see a single hardware related problem in here!

------------------

Comment

Or, to be even more flash, you edit the config.sys & autoexec.bat so that it only loads what is needed, and the runs ghost with all the command line parameters so that all you do is hit OK and it does everything else for you.

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

ok thx guys
              ill try editing the config and auto later on ill try and get the easy way to work first

Comment

making recovery disk w/ ghost?

can someone pls guide me thru this? i can make an image w/
                Symantec Norton Ghost V6.5 Enterprise

but how will i restore it if i format my hd. and dont have ghost installed?

if you know of a site that gives a tutorial ect.. pls heelllpp

Comment

This is a trick Q. right?

------------------

Comment

hmm i have no idea what to reply

it is not why?

i do have a cdr
                    (mitsumi 4804te) and have nero juggler and cdrwin installed

[This message has been edited by blades (edited 17 October 2000).]

Comment

I've got a bootable CD that formats the HD and then throws everything back on (via ghost). Its all completely automated (just got to remember to take the CD out of the drive afterwards! Doh
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                      X