So, who won the 2nd debate??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, who won the 2nd debate??????

The 2nd debate's winner: Jim Lehrer (for struggling to find a difference)

WASHINGTON, DC -- After watching George W. Bush and Al Gore discuss policy issues in their second presidential debate on Wednesday, the Libertarian Party has declared a clear winner: Moderator Jim
    Lehrer.

"Three cheers for Jim Lehrer," said the party's National Director Steve Dasbach. "Time and time, again the moderator challenged Bush and Gore to explain how their policies differed with one another
    during this 90-minute Agree-A-Thon.

"But Lehrer's challenges drove home the point that trying to find a difference between Bush and Gore is like trying to find a difference between Coke and Pepsi. Lehrer, like the rest of America, had to struggle mightily to discover even a microscopic difference between the Democratic and Republican candidate on most issues."

Take just the following three topics, Dasbach said.

* The Middle East conflict. "Both unleashed cookie-cutter answers about the desire for peace and wanting the U.S. to serve as an
    'honest broker' -- spurring Lehrer to ask: 'Is there any difference?'

"Where was the candidate with the courage to say: The real victims in the Middle East conflict are American taxpayers -- who have
    been forced to fork over $5 billion a year in foreign aid to Israel and the Arab nations, and $150 billion over the past three decades.

"That money has purchased one thing: More war, as the current killings in the West Bank demonstrate. The expensive and obvious lesson is that foreign aid and U.S. interventionism, like other government
    programs, simply don't work."

* Gun control. "Both Bush and Gore unholstered their so-called solutions: Background checks for gun buyers, taxpayer-financed trigger locks, enforcing the stratospheric number of gun-control laws, and 'keeping guns out of the hands of kids.' "

"And again Lehrer had to hound them to reveal a difference: 'Back to the question about the differences on gun control,' he said. 'What are they, governor, from your point of view?'

"Where was the candidate with the common sense to say: The solution isn't to enforce gun laws, it's to start repealing them -- and restoring your right to defend yourself from murderers, robbers, and rapists."

* The environment. "Both proposed massive new government intervention on the issue, prompting Lehrer to ask Gore, 'Where do you
    see the basic difference...between you and the governor on the environment?'

"But where was the candidate with the wisdom to say: The only way to protect the environment is by rescuing it from government control and turning it over to private property owners who will care
    for it like their own, because it will be their own?"

Throughout the entire debate, Bush and Gore sounded like "a couple of pet shop parrots," said Dasbach.

"The candidates mimicked each other's proposals for more government involvement in prescription drug coverage, in running the
    school system, in fighting racial discrimination, and countless other
    issues," he said. "They disagreed only about some small details, and about the size of their modest tax cuts.

"By the end of the so-called debate, it wasn't just Jim Lehrer, but tens of millions of other Americans, who were wondering out loud: Aren't the two candidates in a debate supposed to, well...debate?"

In other words, Jim Lehrer's questions were more insightful than Bush's or Gore's answers, Dasbach said.

"And that's why the PBS newsman won the second presidential debate hands down -- and why the American people lost."

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 15 October 2000).]
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

It's nice to see that somone finaly realised that! Now lets hope the rest of the
    "Americans" understands that to!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Wow, now that's a neutral point of view Joel

Comment

Softballs...

I want all 5 canidates in there! But I guess I am too extreme! Watch Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" Then look at this debate crap! Make a grown man cry.

Comment

Humorous article, Joel(he didn't write it, Brian...sigh)

Overall, I thought Dubya did a much better job this time around. I'm willing to bet that the gloves come off for the last debate.

As for adding all the 'contenders', I think that would be a big waste of time. People deserve to hear what the POTENTIAL WINNERS of the election will do when (if) elected.

However, how do the non-contenders get their messages out? It's a catch-22. Pollute the debates with people who have no shot of winning (and therefore no effect on my life for the next 4 years) or let only the major candidates into the debates (and prevent us from hearing alternate ideas).

I'm not 100% sure which I prefer. I try to read up on some of the more prominent non-party candidates and their views (most of which make no sense to me whatsoever, from a common-sense point of view), but most people will not go out of their way to learn and therefore never hear the messages of other parties.

To whom should we cater? Those who will DEFINATELY affect our lives the next 4 years or those who MAY influence our future choices?
          PIII 550@605
          IWill Motherboard VD133
          VIA Chipset
          512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
          G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
          DirectX 8.0a
          SB Live! Value
          8x DVD (Toshiba)
          6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
          Intel Pro/100+ NIC
          3Com CMX Cable Modem
          Optiquest V95 19"
          HP 812C Color Ink Jet
          Microtek flatbed scanner
          Intellimouse Explorer
          Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
          AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Pollute the debates with people who have no shot of winning (and therefore no effect on my life for the next 4 years) or let only the major candidates into the debates (and prevent us from hearing alternate ideas).

This is garbage my friend! Jesse Ventura proves this theory to be quite incorrect! He was trailing in the ---<cough>--- Polls big time, and AFTER he debated he won his support. How can you defend the 2 party monopolies? The control the debates and give us to "potential winners".

WHY have all those teams in baseball? Just have the top teams and forget the rest...

Bud and Miller no others...they are the top sellers right?

3 networks and the top 10 shows (AHHH) on TV

Coke and Pepsi

Microsoft and nothing else?

Ford and Chevy...maybe that "other" firm if they can see 15%

Burgers and Dogs

Nvidia and 3dfx hahahahah

Forget everything except what is the most popular! Can you imagine if BUSHANDGORE had to sharpen their skills against Buchanan, Nadar, and Browne? All three NEVER use notes when they speak or Teleprompters or earpieces. Let the American "free" people decide not the Democrats and the Rebubs.
            How do you KNOW??? Voting will be the lightest in history this election. And the winner will not have a majority. I want the Choice to see my candidate and for others that support the 3rd party to also see their candidate in the debates.

Remember how the US always sends in Jimmy Carter to supervise a fair election in 3rd world countries? What about this election?

There are THREE political parties in the US that are recognized, the two, and the Reform party. All three get taxpayer monies. Your money! And yet you cannot hear what the Reform party has to offer next to BUSHANDGORE. That is wrong. America the land of the free? It’s a rig job and if you research it you will find who the debates are “sponsored by” and it not the American people.

Let forget elections and let Zogby decide…

Comment

I wish there weren't a 3rd "debate". They're poorly named anyway. They're shutting down my campus so that two corporate-sponsored puppets can talk in the gym. I'll be down the street listening to Nader, since he's not even allowed on campus. Democracy at work.

[This message has been edited by Wombat (edited 17 October 2000).]
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yah, what a load of crap.

People have the nerve to call people like buchanan, Nader, and others radicals. Hell, what's more radical: Sticking to your views and values, or the media with it's selective reporting?

Fact is that these people don't want to sway from the Status Quo, because it threatens their very source of power. We, as citizens should DEMAND that they show ALL sides to every story. We should INSIST that all candidates get their say in debates.

Rags

Comment

ya know in canada.... we have all 5 parties go head-on.... i think in federal elections but im 100% sure for provincial elections..

unfortunately, u can see the disadvantages here....
                  there's 5 ppl, only one gets to talk, its hard to compare 5 people like this

------------------
                  P5A-B AMD K6-266@300
                  Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP (oh, lets party)
                  Creative SB Awe32 (a classic, superb card)
                  Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                  64meg Ram
                  Ali V agp chipset
                  ICQ UIN: 24730025
                  <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
                  VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
                  Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
                  128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
                  Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
                  Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
                  Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
                  Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                  Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
                  Actima 36X CD-Rom
                  Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
                  Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                  Windows 2000 (primary)
                  Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

"WHY have all those teams in baseball? Just have the top teams and forget the rest..."

Sounds like pre-expansion. Some people would think this is a good idea. No Milwaukee Brewers. No Bud Selig! Good riddance!

"3 networks and the top 10 shows (AHHH) on TV"

This might not be a bad idea. As long as we don't count Regis and the "reality shows." I can do without them as well.

"Microsoft and nothing else?"

I thought you were talking about an alternate reality.

"Coke and Pepsi"

This is fine with me, as long as the diet variants are included.

"Sex with the same woman."

Ooooooohhhhh! I'm tellin' Mrs. LAMF!

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcomnet

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 17 October 2000).]

Comment

I wasn't necessarily defending the two party debate structure. I was raising the point, what serves the general population better? Hearing from those who WILL shape their future or those who MAY help them change their views.

Is a Presidential Debate, 3 weeks before the election the best place to hear from guys who won't even be on the ballot? Keep the grass-roots thing going - get them on the ballot.

Your beef should be with people not willing to be open to hearing from these folks LONG before the primaries, not with those of us who want to learn as much as possible about THE CANDIDATES this close to election.

If anyone really believes Buchanan has ANYTHING to do with the Reform party other then their matching funds, you have *no* idea what a 3rd party is about.

Prior to the primaries, I listened to what EVERY major (ie, 7 or 8 of them) possible candidate had to say. I loved the way Alan Keyes spoke and his passion in his beliefs, his message scared the hell out of me. I'll never understand why people take Ralph Nader seriously as a presidential candidate. Make sure my car is safe to drive, but stay out of my politics.

I guess the point is, I'm intelligent enough to have whittled down my choices to the two party candidates for both their platforms (and my beliefs) and because one of them is gonna win. I'd much rather concentrate on choosing the one best for what I want (or who will wreck things the LEAST) than concentrating on write-in candidates this close to the election.
                      PIII 550@605
                      IWill Motherboard VD133
                      VIA Chipset
                      512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                      G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                      DirectX 8.0a
                      SB Live! Value
                      8x DVD (Toshiba)
                      6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                      Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                      3Com CMX Cable Modem
                      Optiquest V95 19"
                      HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                      Microtek flatbed scanner
                      Intellimouse Explorer
                      Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                      AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

The point is that the 3rd-party people need our votes to move up in the world. If the libertarians get enough votes then they will have matching funds, and can stage a real campaign.

If the reform party gets enough votes they might actually show up on most polls.

This is what we need to remember. Unfortunately, I'm so scared to death that Al Gore might become president that I'm tempted to vote Bush.

- Gurm

------------------
                        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                        X