Yet ANOTHER Anime Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet ANOTHER Anime Thread

Ok, folks - this is a slightly different Anime thread...

It's basically a call for information on which anime I should bother buying on DVD.

See, I love Anime. But I can't buy VHS any more (my VCR broke and I have no intention of ever buying another one).

I already picked up the first Evangelion (1-4) and the first Escaflowne (the one just called "Escaflowne"). What else should I pick up? I mean, I'm not even going to bother sorting through the mess of Macross and whatnot, despite always having loved the series. *sigh*

And Akira isn't out yet, and I'm waiting on the second Evangelion, and I have yet to see Project A-Ko or Oh! My Goddess (or Ah! My Goddess, depending). Have I not looked hard enough?

Make recommendations of good DVD's. And no, I don't consider anything in English only or with ANYTHING removed to be "good".

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Have you checked all the Japanese sites already, Jason?
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Ahem, no.

I asked here because y'all seem to have fairly good taste in Anime. I saw on my last trip to the mall that there are a lot of "classics" now out on DVD, but I wanted to know which were done right and which weren't... and also which were good enough to deserve their status as "classics".

- Gurm

------------------
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

http://home.chello.no/~teggen/starwarz/starwarz.swf

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Dude. 2 places to go. First hit www.animeondvd.com and check out the reviews and such. Once ya see what looks good, hit www.dvdexpress.com and start ordering

Personally, I have a lot of Anime (142 distinct DVD's) plus all my regular stuff, but anime is just awesome on DVD. Personal fave's are the BubbleGum Crisis series as well as Trigun is lots of fun so far. Cowboy Bebop is pretty cool, and for those nights when your feeling funky, Lain: Serial Experiment
          A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

Iria: Zeiram the Animation

Princess Mononoke

Whisper of the Heart

Grave of Fireflies

Perfect Blue(unique)

Record of Lodoss Wars

These are among my favs. You should have no problem whatever if you look on eBay.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
            ASUS A7N8X
            Corsair 1GB PC3200
            Parhelia 128MB
            EIZO L685EX

Comment

The Suncoast near me (I'm in the Replay Club so it behooves me to buy from them) just wised up and expanded their Anime section to several hundred DVD's (up from a paltry 20 or so), so I'm sitting pretty. Guess I just have to read reviews and pick 'n' choose.

(Stop this rhyming now, I mean it! Anybody want a peanut?)

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

AMINE!!!! CAUTION, LONG POST AHEAD!!!

Action Anime on DVD:

Neon Genesis Evangelion - The next DVD comes out next month. Be sure to pre-order it from DVD Express at least 2 or more weeks in advance if you want it on opening week.

Ruouni Kenshin/Samuri X - Anything with these titles on it, BUY IT! Kenshin rocks. It's about a bad @$$ samuri and his various adventures. ADV has the OAV's (Samuri X) and Media Blasters has the TV series (Rurouni Kenshin). Both are very, very good.

Cowboy BeBop - The last DVD comes out next month, pre-order it now if you want it any time soon. BeBop is a really cool show that you just have to wach to understand. It's about near future bounty hunters in our ever expanding solar system. It's really cool.

Trigun - Starts more comical than it does action. Once you get to episode 12 it's all action though, and VERY good.

Gasaraki - The first 2.5 episodes are boring, because they build a lot of story. After that it's really cool. Kind of like Eva, but not really. If that made any sense.

Escaflowne - You have the first DVD so no need to rant more about it.

Comedy Anime on DVD:

Martian Successor Nadesico - HILARIOUS and then some. The first DVD comes out next month. Go and pre-order it RIGHT NOW! And it has a lot of action in it too!

Dual, The Parallel World - Picked that one up last week, and it's AWESOME. It's got a lot of action, but in it's heart, it's all about comedy.

Tenchi Muyo - There's about a million of these. They're al pretty funny. You can watch them on Cartoon Network (albeit edited...courtesy breasts taken out) before buying any.

Slayers - There's a whole hell of a lot of these, too. Very funny, if you like mid-evil magic's and fantasy stuff. Action and comedy make this one great.

Adventure Anime on DVD:

El Hazard - The first OAV's aren't out yet (I don't think), but when they are, get them. Then get The Alternate World. Just get all the El Hazard you can, except for the Wandererererers (didn't like it).

Fushigi Yugi - More of a girl anime, but it has a really good story. I persoanlly like it a lot. It comes in two box sets. The first is out the second comes out soon.

Record of Lodoss War - There are 2 different Lodoss'. The original OAV's and the TV series. The TV series is coming out in a box set called Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. I haven't watched all of it, but it seems pretty good. The dubbing kind of sucks though.

Anime Movies and One shot deals that are worth it on DVD:

Battle Angel - A classic and very, very good. Action packed and the works. It's too bad they never made the anime for the rest of the manga.

Akira - Not out yet, but I just want to make a few notes. Akira will be out next year. It is being digitally remastered, both audio and video. The audio will be in Dolby Digital 5.1 for both English and Japanese. And they are re-doing the English dubbing. Oh, yeah, and it will be wide screen with an anamorphic transfer.

Anything Miyazaki - Graveyard of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke, Castle of Castilegro(?), My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Laputa - The Flying Castle, Nausica... if it's Miyazaki and on DVD it's good. Period. End of story.

uh.... that's enough for now, I'll post more later.

Jammrock, the Anime Phreak.

------------------
                Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                X