@Home and the UPLOADS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Home and the UPLOADS.

Well, as all of you with @Home know we have been capped on the uploads. I hear that some of you out there haven't had it implimented in your area yet but the email that they sent out said that it was a Nation wide cap that they were implimenting (so it's comming). I have heard that there is a way around it, but I have been unable to find it. What have you heard?

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

What the hell are you talking abaut?

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Mail this to the bastards!

My complaint about @HOME
      As much as some people may disagree with the following observations, I stand firmly by them. I guess I should start by saying that @HOME ignores a breathtaking number of facts, most notably:

Fact: I'm simply trying to explain @HOME's bad-tempered tendencies as well as its spineless tendencies as phases of a larger, unified cycle.

Fact: For @HOME, credentialism is the name of the game.

Fact: @HOME desperately wants to be fashionable.

In addition, I didn't want to talk about this. I really didn't. But if you don't think that @HOME has no soul, then you've missed the whole point of this letter. If I said that those of us who oppose @HOME would rather run than fight, I'd be a liar. But I'd be being thoroughly honest if I said that what was morally wrong five years ago is just as wrong today. But there's the rub; baleful nonentities (like @HOME) are not born -- they are excreted. However unsavory that metaphor may be, the gloss that @HOME's co-conspirators put on @HOME's values unfortunately does little to warn the public against those narrow-minded bigamists whose positive accomplishments are always practically nil, but whose conceit can scarcely be excelled. If @HOME continues to galvanize a dirty hysteria, a large-scale version of the two-faced mentality that can defy the rules of logic, I will surely be obliged to do something about it. And you know me: I never neglect my obligations. Someone needs to respond to @HOME's threats. Who's going to do it? @HOME? I think not.

@HOME is against everything and for nothing. I know because I have experienced that personally. @HOME's shock troops have learned their scripts well, and the rhetoric comes gushing forth with little provocation. Many people who follow @HOME's methods of interpretation have come to the erroneous conclusion that freedom must be abolished in order for people to be more secure and comfortable. The stark truth of the matter is that it is out to encourage and exacerbate passivity in some people who might otherwise be active and responsible citizens. And when we play its game, we become accomplices. Even if I agreed that @HOME's splenetic shell games were of paramount importance, it would still be the case that @HOME's stories about absenteeism are particularly ridden with errors and distortions, even leaving aside the concept's initial implausibility. Of course, I'm generalizing a little here. But that's only because someone has been giving @HOME's brain a very thorough washing, and now @HOME is trying to do the same to us.

By that, I mean not only in the strictest sense, but also the whole spectrum of related meanings. Make no mistake about it, if you've read this far, then you probably either agree with me or are on the way to agreeing with me. Others have stated it much more eloquently than I, but barbarism is not merely an attack on our moral fiber. It is also a politically motivated attack on knowledge.

Whenever @HOME tries to reward those who knowingly or unknowingly play along with its musings while punishing those who oppose them, so do the worst sorts of illiterate deviants I've ever seen. Similarly, whenever it attempts to jawbone aimlessly, sententious unctuous buffoons typically attempt the same. I do not seek to draw any causal scheme from these correlations. I mention them only because because of its obsession with obstructionism, @HOME says that its vices are the only true virtues. That's a stupid thing to say. It's like saying that human life is expendable.

It may seem difficult at first to preserve the peace. It is. But @HOME says it's going to create an atmosphere that may temporarily energize or exhilarate, but which, at the same time, will pose the gravest of human threats faster than you can say "auriculoventricular". Good old @HOME. It just loves to open its mouth and let all kinds of things come out without listening to how power-drunk they sound. @HOME's hastily mounted campaigns command as much respect as the tales in the supermarket tabloids. To pretend otherwise is nothing but hypocrisy and unwillingness to face the more unpleasant realities of life. @HOME has refused to make a public apology for its tasteless screeds. So what's the connection between that and @HOME's put-downs? The connection is that it should work with us, not step in at the eleventh hour and hog all the glory. The funny thing is, I do not find agendas that are pigheaded, socially inept, and dictatorial to be "funny". Maybe I lack a sense of humor, but maybe @HOME insists that it is beyond reproach. This is a rather strong notion from someone who knows so little about the subject.

@HOME's epithets are a load of bunk. I use this delightfully pejorative term, "bunk" -- an alternative from the same page of my criminal-slang lexicon would serve just as well -- because I am tired of hearing or reading that colonialism can quell the hatred and disorder in our society. You know that that is simply not true. Conformism doesn't work. So why does @HOME cling to it? In classic sophist fashion, I ask another question in reply: What is it about our society that makes malign psychopaths like @HOME desire to vilify our history, character, values, and traditions? I've never gotten a clear and honest answer to that question from @HOME. But what is clear is that its worshippers argue that it is its moral imperative to confuse the catastrophic power of state fascism with the repression of an authoritarian government in our minds. These are the same amateurish self-promoters who crush the will of all individuals who have expressed political and intellectual opposition to its sermons. This is no coincidence; @HOME goes ballistic every time I so much as hint that there are lawsuits in its future. We can therefore extrapolate that I feel that it has insulted everyone with even the slightest moral commitment. @HOME obviously has none, or it wouldn't oppress, segregate, and punish others. I see how important @HOME's neurotic-to-the-core vituperations are to its lieutenants and I laugh. I laugh because it presents itself as a disinterested classicist lamenting the infusion of politically motivated methods of pedagogy and analysis into higher education. @HOME is eloquent in its denunciation of modern scholarship, claiming it favors rancorous smarmy-types. And here we have the ultimate irony, because if we let @HOME convince the most lascivious loonies I've ever seen that there is absolutely nothing they can do to better their lot in life besides joining it, then greed, corruption, and cameralism will characterize the government. Oppressive measures will be directed against citizens. And lies and deceit will be the stock and trade of the media and educational institutions.

If you read @HOME's writings while mentally out of focus, you may get the sense that university professors must conform their theses and conclusions to @HOME's insane prejudices if they want to publish papers and advance their careers. But if you read its writings while mentally in focus and weigh each point carefully, it's clear that I want my life to count. I want to be part of something significant and lasting. I want to expose the connections between the brain-damaged problems that face us and the key issues of chauvinism and authoritarianism. At first, you might be unsure as to whether the most perceptive members of our society respond positively to my message that @HOME considers it fair game to boss others around. But on deeper inspection, you'll indeed conclude that I need your help if I'm ever to establish democracy and equality. "But I'm only one person," you might protest. "What difference can I make?" The answer is: a lot more than you think. You see, @HOME's stooges believe that we should avoid personal responsibility. Although it is perhaps impossible to change the perspective of those who have such beliefs, I wish nevertheless to knock some sense into @HOME. One thing is certain: @HOME thinks that arriving at a true state of comprehension is too difficult and/or time-consuming. Of course, thinking so doesn't make it so. Although @HOME would like us to believe that all literature which opposes stoicism was forged by money-grubbing dangerous crooks, it has given us neither good reason nor credible evidence to believe that. Its ideas, on the other hand, give us good reason to believe that by refusing to act, by refusing to debate the efficacy of its disdainful fork-tongued comments, we are giving it the power to treat people like the worst kinds of psychotic renegades there are.

You should never forget the three most important facets of @HOME's expositions, namely their ostentatious origins, their internal contradictions, and their tendentious nature. @HOME's patter is smooth and quite practiced. It can fast-talk you into believing you'd be better off if you participated in its effort to take us all on a totally reckless ride into the unknown. However, its scribblings fall apart upon reflection. It's precisely because a desire to wear a cloak of status and prestige is the only explanation for @HOME's otherwise inexplicable behavior that @HOME's "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude is beer-guzzling, because it leaves no room for compromise. This much is clear: I am intellectually honest enough to admit my own previous ignorance in that matter. I only wish that @HOME had the same intellectual honesty.

One of the enduring effects of @HOME's views is the way they will condition the public -- or, more precisely, brainwash the public -- into believing that no one is smart enough to see through @HOME's transparent lies. When was the last time you heard @HOME mention that it bickers and argues over petty things? Probably never. That's why it and I disagree about our civic duties. I feel that we must do our utmost to speak out against behavior and speech that is intended to break down traditional values as expeditiously as possible. @HOME, on the other hand, believes that skin color means more than skill and gender is more impressive than genius.

You may not be aware of this, but if I withheld my feelings on this matter, I'd be no less brainless than @HOME. Pardon my coarse language, but @HOME has, on a number of occasions, expressed a desire to dominate or intimidate others. On all of these occasions, I submitted to the advice of my friends, who assured me that its stratagems are as troubling as its insistence that a plausible excuse is a satisfactory substitute for performance. But what, you may ask, does any of that have to do with the theme of this letter, viz., that it always gives noncommittal answers to questions? Well, we all know the answer to that question, don't we? But in case you don't, then you should note that I would honestly like to comment on its attempt to associate sectarianism with vandalism. There is no association. @HOME's janissaries all have serious personal problems. In fact, the way it keeps them loyal to it is by encouraging and exacerbating these problems rather than by helping to overcome them. So you see, I hold fast to the view that @HOME should be responsible for its own actions.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 14 October 2000).]
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

There is no way around it. It is set by the head end of the node (I think) and the cap information is sent to your cable modem, which caps your speed. The upload channel on cable has much less bandwidth than the download (I think), so this cap is necessary to keep things consistent.

Capping the uploads, however, will limit your download speeds. Downloading requires the sending of ACK (acknowledgement) packets to the sender to let the sender know that the packet was received (this is only in TCP; it does not happen in UDP, but UDP would not be ideal for downloads, you would probably end up with a corrupted file). So as you download more, you have to upload more. 6% of the download speed in kbps is the speed required for upload in kbps. According to some quick calcuations, at best, you will get 2.1mbps with the 128kbps cap (still fast, I know). But this has a side affect of destroying your download speed when you upload something. When you upload at full speed, you won't have any upstream bandwidth left for the ACK packets, so your download speeds will drop.

BTW, here is where I got my info: http://www.dslreports.com/speed
        Excellent resource. Also some tweaks for increasing speed.

[This message has been edited by Liquid Snake (edited 14 October 2000).]

Comment

Guru:
          @Home is the cable internet provider that I use (and many others use it also). We get wicked fast download speeds, 150kbps is not uncommon. We use to be able to UPLOAD at the same speed but the @Home network in their infinate wisdom has decided that we don't need to upload stuff that fast. I assume that they are trying to discourage people running huge servers on their cable modems and thus sucking the bandwidth from others (it's a shared thing in an area). Like I said, I have heard that there is a way around it, but I can't find it. I was wondering if this was a rumor or a fact.

[This message has been edited by Kindness! (edited 14 October 2000).]

Comment

How come your message was transfered? to the last place in this post?

------------------

Comment

I made a minor change and I accidentally deleted it. (That's why I always save them before I submit )

Comment

yes, there is a program that does this, it somehow changes the network address of your cable modem and some other stuff... i dunno how it works... i tried it, with the help of my german speaking friend to translate it.. but it didnt work...

but i think i really wont need more than 45k/sec

------------------
                P5A-B AMD K6-266@300
                Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP (oh, lets party)
                Creative SB Awe32 (a classic, superb card)
                Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                64meg Ram
                Ali V agp chipset
                ICQ UIN: 24730025
                <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
                VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
                Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
                128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
                Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
                Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
                Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
                Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
                Actima 36X CD-Rom
                Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
                Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                Windows 2000 (primary)
                Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

Yes, the programming exists. It spoofs your ARP table such that the router thinks the packets aren't yours. It's called (don't censor me it's a program name, dammit):

****UPC

And you have to get the one specifically for your brand of cable modem. Mine was a LanCity modem so I got the LanCity version, worked very well. I was uploading at 2.0 mbps, unlike the 500kbps that Media One tried to foist on me.

- Gurm

------------------
                  Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

yes, thats it, phuckupc (replace ph with f)

i think my problem was i may have got the one for the wrong modem, i also got lancity modem...

------------------
                    P5A-B AMD K6-266@300
                    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP (oh, lets party)
                    Creative SB Awe32 (a classic, superb card)
                    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                    64meg Ram
                    Ali V agp chipset
                    ICQ UIN: 24730025
                    <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
                    VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
                    Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
                    128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
                    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
                    Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
                    Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
                    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                    Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
                    Actima 36X CD-Rom
                    Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
                    Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                    Windows 2000 (primary)
                    Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

Working...
                    X