Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another Anime thread...because I'm bored.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Anime thread...because I'm bored.

Hmmmm... what's new in the US anime world?

The uncut, not the Fox Kids crap version of Escaflowne is finally coming out on DVD. I highly recommend picking it up. The series is awesome and the DVD transfer is excellent. That and you can turn off the annoying US dubbs. WOO HOO!

The last Cowboy BeBop DVD comes out next month, so those who don't like watching incomplete shows need to start picking it up. Bebop is very good. It was even the number one selling anime of 1998 in Japan.

uuuuuhhh...Anyone who likes the more violent, action, bloody anime needs to pick up Samuri X (aka Rouroni Kenshin OAV) from ADV Films. Very cool show. Start collecting the TV series from Media Blasters, too (but called Rouroni Kenshin).

ADV finally started Neon Genesis Evangelion on DVD back up. The second DVD comes out in November. The DVD will not have the overlays, and will use subtitling instead.

If you like comedies you NEED to see Martian Succesor Nadesco! The first DVD comes out next month, and the VHS release is up to 5 tapes (10 episodes). This show is like Ranma in space. It's hilarious beyond belief.

Other shows to look at:

Trigun (just wait until episode 12, when things get REALLY good).

El Hazard (there are a bunch of these. Avoid the Wanderers and get the rest).

Gasaraki (it's on my, 'has good potential' list. Think EVA, but using Shinto instead of the Dead Sea Scrolls).

Outlaw Star (It's coming out on DVD in 2 collector's sets at $40 a pop, unless you pre-order then $30 +shipping. 9 episodes for $30 makes the show worth it.)

Things to come:

Spriggan. Looks like Akira meets Indiana Jones.

Escaflowne the Movie. Got a DivX version of it, and man this movie ROCKS! Can't wait to get my hands on a DVD copy of it. The soundtrack and visuals to this are GORGEOUS!!

The EVA movies. Manga has the rights and are supposedly doing the voice overs right now. Since ADV doesn't have the rights they should be out before ADV is done releasing the EVA DVD's...thanks goodness.

Berserk. Just the title makes me drool over this one.

Well, that's enough for now. Any anime fan feel free to post. Non-anime fans, feel free to post. Just don't ask why we like anime, because unless you watch it, you'll never know.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I´m playing Shogo and I find it very cool. I love the soundtrack, as I´m downloading it through Napster®

------------------
    Don´t you just love naked girls?

Comment

Local Wally-world has the Gundham Wing series on VHS....is it worth getting? I see most buy on DVD but I too poor for that (right now anyways)

any recommendations?

-Dil
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Just to give some historical information on and my impressions of one of the more interesting series Jammrock mentioned (and I'm relying on my sometimes unreliable memory) ...

Escaflowne or "Vision of Escaflowne" is adapted from manga of the same name. There were actually two series by two different artists. The first, not very well known outside of Japan, was a boy's manga. The second, which inspired the animated series and movie, is technically shoujo: a girls' comic. Good thing. The shoujo manga version is a lot nicer to look at.

The animated series has a lot to offer to boys, however, and I suspect its creators intended to attract boys as well as girls. There's plenty of action. Mecha (in this case, giant robots) are a key part of the story, which is pretty unusual for shoujo, although I think they are powered by mystical rather than mechanical means.

Like most shoujo, the lead character is female, there's a fair amount of romance, and no panty shots or courtesy breasts that I can remember. It's an unusual and interesting series, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to the hardcore mecha crowd. Thumbs up.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

"courtesy breasts"?
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

"Courtesy breasts" refers to the gratuitous nudity in some anime. Presumably, it is done as a favor or courtesy to the fan.

Some people think the expression sounds Japanese (albeit translated into English), but I think it is rooted in US-based anime fandom.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

paulcs,

I haven't met and anime fan, girl or guy, who has not loved The Vision of Escaflowne (the DVD's are simply called Escaflowne, to follow the Fox Kids naming convention, but if you buy on VHS make sure you get The Vision of Escaflowne, otherwise you get the crappy dubbed/edited Fox Kids version). I would say there are 2 main characters, as the story revolves around two people. Hitomi is a tad more important, but Van is definately cool.

There is a lot of mecha combat for guys. There are also a few huge battle scene's which are very well done. The story is really good, even if you don't like romance stories (the story is huge and complex). And the bad guys are just plain evil. I think Dilandau is one of the most demented anime characters of all time. A must see for all anime fans.

Dilitante1,

Gundam on VHS...hmmmm. I have not watched any on VHS (all mine are on DVD), so I can only say what I hear. There are two, maybe three, versions on VHS. The Cartoon Network dubbed and edited for TV version. The uncut, Japanese language with English subtitles. And there may be an uncut dubbed version, but I'm not sure. All the DVD's are uncut with both languages.

Gundam Wing is a really cool series, and I highly recommend it to all mecha anime fans. The story lags at times, but over all it's great. I would also recommend getting the uncut version in the language of your preference. Another highly recomended series.

If anyone wants to see a prime example of 'courtesy breasts', pick up the uncut Tenchi OAVs (The ones simply called Tenchi Muyo). Every other episode has one of the Tenchi girls topless. Cartoon Network had to draw swim suits on them for the TV air, but made it obvious for anyone who has seen the originals.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
              X