X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few of my favorite European things.

The Benny Hill Show,
    Dr. Who,
    The three books written by James Herriot: 'All Ceatures Great and Small', 'All Things Bright and Beautiful', and 'All Things Wise and Wonderful',
    J.R.R. Tolkien,
    The Beatles,

Just to name a few.

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

I like their deep connection with the past. The sense of history and continuity.

...and C.S. Lewis

[This message has been edited by Bixler (edited 07 October 2000).]
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Have you been served?
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Ahhh, James Herriot, what an incredible author. I haven't read those books in years. I may have to read them again, goodness knows I have no lack of time for doing so.
        Incidently Joel, you missed 2, "The Lord God Made them All", and "Every Living Thing".

C.S Lewis and J.R.R Tolkien, who with any good sense doesn't like them? It's nice being among those who appreciate fine literature.

Random Fact time!!! Lewis and Tolkien were at one time good friends and corresponed with each other regularly until they got into a huge fight over religion, after which they never spoke to each other again.

Ian
        Primary System:
        MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
        120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
        Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
        Seccondary System:
        Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
        3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
        Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
        Tertiary system
        Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
        Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

BMW (NOT RENAULT! )
          Beer
          Monty Python
          The Young Ones
          Def Leppard (You could have kept the Beatles )

Comment

Incidently Joel, you missed 2, "The Lord God Made them All", and "Every Living Thing".
            I'll have to get those two.

Def Leppard
            Knew I had left out something important.

Joel
            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Their cars. (well, some of them... heh)

Their food. (umm umm yummy!)

Their wine.

Their customs and traditions.

Their architecture.

And of course Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. In fact, as another random fact, some of the characters and ideas in C.S. Lewis' space trilogy were based on a rough version of "The Fall of Numenor", which Tolkien had read to him (Lewis liked to have things read TO him for some reason) prior to publication of the war of the ring.

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

But surely you don't like these:

The French
                Abba
                Yugo's
                Dutch food (like boerenkool or hutspot EEEEEEEWW)

------------------
                ------------
                ------

Comment

I like the French. So long as they don't know that I'm an American we get along fine.

Err... yeah well, Yugos and Le Cars are a chapter of European automaking we'd all like to forget, hmm?

- Gurm

------------------
                  Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

You can't complain about LeCars (AKA Renault R5) until you've had to look up parts for them. I used to work in an AMC/Jeep/Renault dealer parts dept. Renault makes the WORST parts microfiche ever (and in those days, they only came in French). So yes, the R5 (and Renault in general) is something Europe cannot be proud too of

For a few of the things I like from that side of the pond:
                    Red Dwarf
                    Sophia Loren
                    Pink Floyd
                    Italian food
                    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Aaah... a topic where we can talk about things we like about each other cultures!

The French
                      There are some bloody good French movie-directors that make some equally good movies. They are completely different style movies than you expect from typical Hollywood productions, and therefor 'refreshing'.

Try and see one of these (you won't be disappointed, I _promise_" ):
                      - La Haine
                      - Les Visiteurs
                      - La Cité des enfants perdus
                      - some Louis de Funes movies.. they are hilarious.

They French have a very 'odd' sense of humor that I really like. Les Visiteurs is a perfect example of French humor. However, i think Mony Python humor is very good too (sometimes it is too emberassing, like Faulty Towers (but which is not a 'real' Monty Python production).

I myself really don't understand Dutch and German humor, but I think I am not alone. Avoid it at all costs .

French food also is very nice, just like Italian, Spanish and English (Roast beef with Yorkshire pudding for me! ). (or fish and chips with lots of vinegar!).

On the American side there are some very good Hollywood productions, and junk-food is a invention you can't go around!
                      NHL also is very cool to watch.. I really don't understand that ice-hockey (what you call hockey) isn't that popular over here.

Comment

Ah, Louis de Funés, perhaps the only frenchman I like, or liked, he is dead a long time now. I loved his movies, of course I was still a kid then, maybe when I see those movies now I might find them corny. But I really don't see how I could like the french in general because of a few movies.

Dutch humor? What's that. I didn't know it existed.

And german humor does exist, albeit that just one person from germany that is funny, his name is Otto.

------------------
                        ------------
                        ------

Comment

I forgot a thing, I'm really surprised, and pleased, that an american likes Dr. Who. I think I saw every episode still in existance, not quite sure though.

------------------
                          ------------
                          ------

Comment

And german humor does exist, albeit that just one person from germany that is funny, his name is Otto.
                            well... thinking about it, I am sure that there is German humor that is way better than Dutch humor... I really, _really_ like that advertisment for the German Lottery they made (De Duitsers Kommen!). Just hilarious...

Comment

Hey now dZeus, hockey is a purely canadian thing. The americans just happen to have more people, so they therefore have more teams. The vast majority of the good players are either canadian or, lately, russian/czech/ukranian/swedish etc. Very few are americans.

------------------
                              Andrew

I will not torment the emotionally frail

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 08 October 2000).]
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X