Any Excel gurus out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Excel gurus out there?

I've got a sheet with aprox. 1000 cells with just plain numbers, ie. 291740, 244917 etc.
    What I want to do is apply =424* to all these cells in one sweep.
    Is there any way to do this outside of making a macro and editing the Visual Basic to make the references relative? Eg. I recorded the macro "F2, home, =424*, ENTER" on the first cell. F2 to edit the cell, home to get to start of cell, =424* to apply the function, ENTER to go to next cell.
    This only results in "=424*291740" being applied to all cells.

Any suggestions?

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team!
    View the exciting stats
    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Yup, try using something like this : =434*A1 and apply it to all the cells, it should automagically change the numbering for you.

Rags

Comment

Another way of doing this is to type 424 into a cell and then copy this number into a group of cells you can copy over your data. Copy the matrix of cells with 424 as the values and "paste special" this matrix onto the data using the OPERATION "multiply".

Comment

I think the simplest way would be to put =A1*424 in columb B, maybe, then CTRL+C that cell, then highlight B2:B1000 and CTRL+V it in, should automatically multiply all the cells.

b
        Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

He implied he wanted the result in the original cells. You would still have to copy the results back.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

Brian, yes I wanted the results in the original cells, but it is was more a case of "unfruitful" thinking, and it led me to miss the obvious.
            Of course I should have thought of applying the formula =A1*424 in B1 and then "pulling" the cell marking to include the B1:B1000 range like Rags and spoogenet suggested.
            As I didn't need the original numbers, I just hid column A to make it tidy.

I liked your suggestion though Brian, it works beautifuly, but I was done with the sheet when I read it.

Thanks to MURC and its collective brain powers

------------------
            Join the MURC SETI team!
            View the exciting stats
            P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
            Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Thanks to MURC and its collective brain powers
              Is that an insult?
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
              X