Olympic Screw-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Screw-ups

I should state outright that I think Sydney and Australia are doing a great job with the games. I really didn't care much for the Seoul and Los Angeles games, but I think Barcelona and Atlanta did much to restore the games' credibility, and Sydney is putting on a great show.

I can't say the same for the IOU. Led by a man who is apparently a former Francisco Franco toadie, I believe Olympic officials have once again demonstrated their relentless incompetence and a remarkable inability to be fair in the face of political pressure.

I think Women's Gymnastics, possibly the most popular events in the US, were seriously botched. The apparatus problem in the all-arounds was inexcusable, and the whole Andreea Raducan episode leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I just get the feeling that this could have and would have been handled better by officials who didn't fall so squarely into the category of "corrupt buffoons with no accountability and far too much power."

I'm fully aware that complicated situations arise in the Olympics, but just once I'd like to say to myself, "that situation was handled deftly." Instead of the wisdom of Solomon, we are treated every two years to the wisdom of Bozo.

Boo! Hiss! Shame!

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

The Olympics have died. It is meant to be about individual achievement by amature athletes.

All I see now days is team sports being played by people who are paid US$100 Million a year to do nothing but play (basketball).

What happened to the ideal of the origional games. A talented Cook running naked around a track. I bet they never thought of these full length body suits to lower wind resistence, not to mention the drugs taken now days.

I bet everybody will agree that the womans gymnastics would be much better if it was just naked sports women doing their thing.

I still cant beleive that the USA Basketball team gets paid over half of our GDP!

Well, I suppose thats the way the world is going. Whoever has the most money (or cheats the best) wins.

Comment

Actually the US was one of the last countries to put professionals in the Olympics.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

The Olympics have died. It is meant to be about individual achievement by amature athletes.

Even back in ancient Greece they had a lot of 'professional' athletes, and the winning athlete would get a lot of money from it's home town (talking about the sportive aspect of participation). This whole idea about 'amateur' athletes participating for the sportive achievement is quite twisted from the ancient games.

Comment

I was concerned the language I used here might have been too inflamatory. NBC's medical correspondent just called Olympic officials "a lynch mob" looking to catch a 250 lb. track and field star taking enormous amounts of anabolic steroids and instead nabbing an 82 lb. girl who took a single cold tablet. He then described the Olympic legal process as a "Mickey Mouse" operation.

By the way, I was pretty embarrassed by the behaviour of some US athletes. Excessive celebration. Taunting. SPITTING!! It's important that people know James Carter was reprimanded by his coach, his teammates, and his mother.

Ali's idea of the modern Olympics performed in the Helenic fashion, nude and oiled, has it's downside. Think weightlifting. Think Greco-Roman wrestling. Ick. Of course, it would make rhythmic gymnastics more interesting.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 29 September 2000).]

Comment

In addition, I would like to comment on NBC's shitty coverage of the games. I can understand that they can't broadcast it live on NBC because of all the other programs, but they have MSNBC and CNBC. Even then they still choose not to broadcast it live, instead they try to take the day's events and package them with crappy commentary. Horrible that you have to sit through all the other sports in order to watch the 10-20 minutes of the event you are looking for. I heard some channel in Canada has 24/7 live coverage of the games. In addition... NBC's website sucks. They could have used it to post up to the minute news. Instead they choose to slow most of it down to as to not take away from the broadcast. What the hell is up with that? And because they don't want to ruin it for the broadcasts, they along with the IOC are policing the net to make sure no one else posts the results ahead of time. I seriously think the IOC should sell the rights to the webcoverage separately from the television coverage... with broadband in college, I'll be all over the web coverage...

and i can't believe Karelin lost, he looked like he didn't have it in him anymore. hope he makes a comeback and ends his career the right way...

Comment

Paulcs you forgot the women volleyball players
              Oh yes, and what about nude horse riding?
              I do pity the athletes legs if they had to do so

Comment

I thought about volleyball the second after I posted! Nude volleyball has a long tradition.

Race walking might be entertaining as well. Not to mention synchronized swimming and trampoline! The possibilities are endless.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Damned... I was just about to post the volleyball thingy.

Well now that we are on the olympic subject:
                  Am I the only one who thinks that 10 M air pistol shooting is the lamest diciplin ever?

And how about the speed walking (or whatever it´s called)... what´s the fun in seeing who can go faster while walking like a stupid duck with a limp?

------------------
                  Too bad you can't buy a voodoo globe so that you could make the earth spin real fast and freak everybody out.
                  If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Chris B, I do not know if it's really as lame as you think.
                    I've shot from 3 m "hammer" standing to 300m not mentionning the 20 m full auto, using air guns, 22 long rifles and 5.6mm.

And I can tell you the performance those guys achieve are more than "athletic". I know it's maybe not the most entertaining thing in the world to watch but rapid fire is something that gets my complete estim!

Speed walking is something really weird you right

[This message has been edited by Vlip (edited 29 September 2000).]

Comment

Vlip... what do you mean "rapid fire" ?
                      I was watching the womens 10 m air pistol shooting, and that was definately not rapid fire.

PS: I´ve done my share of pistol and rifle shooting too, and I know it´s not easy...and every sport has the right to be represented at the olympics. It´s just not very action packed to watch (just as you pointed out yourself)
                      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

I don't really watch the olympics carefully, but I saw one rifle competition that got me interested.
                        It's 10 m airpistol shooting, they have 5 targets and they have something like 4 seconds to shoot all of them.

That's a little more action packed

Comment

The trick with NBC is that they payed something like 1.2 billion USD to secure exclusive rights for first coverage of the olympics in the US. If they air something live at 4am and something cool happens, thats it. The first thing the following morning ESPN, ABC, FOX, or whoever can air highlights. Meanwhile, if they don't do that, then no other network is allowed to air anything until NBC has done so. Meaning that NBC can air anything thats really cool during prime time coverage.

So the problem, is that NBC is in this for the money. The CBC is not, they paid only like 7 million CD$ for the rights for the next 4 games or something. They hardly have to recoupe anything. NBC has to recoupe around 250 million USD for EACH of the next 4 games in order to make a profit. If they aren't airing during prime time, they can't do that.

On a seperate note, womens nude volleyball would be quite the sport to watch.
                          Primary System:
                          MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                          120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                          Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                          Seccondary System:
                          Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                          3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                          Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                          Tertiary system
                          Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                          Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Hello,
                            My 2 cents......NBC single handidly screwed up the Fall Season TV schedule and delaying the start of many shows, on all networks, thinking we care. We don't, I am not anti-sports, there are some sports I love, but they screwed up the beginning season show dates and times, big time here in the USA< or at least here in San Diego, Ca. And the way they do braodcast the events is a total joke and cannot understand how anyone could be excited enought to suffer through their lame attempt at Olympics coverage. I hear that the broadcasters had to agree to a very bad extorted contract and then the phony drug tests are a joke, they write the rules as they go with no brains in sight or use. What a disgrace! I love some winter sports and hope the Winter Olympcis are not butchered. But, the scandals that where involved in the planning of the Winter events probably destryed those too, long before they have begun. Sad that so many bad people where put in the positions to destroy a special event. Really sad.

[This message has been edited by stevenscott (edited 29 September 2000).]
                            ------------------
                            stevenscott
                            (ramstein@virtualairforce.com)
                            http://www.virtualairforce.com/
                            -----------------------------
                            My Photo Website (they really clipped the free goodies, badly):

http://community.webshots.com/user/skialps/
                            ----------------
                            ==============
                            Home:
                            Network
                            --------
                            D-Link Router
                            -----------
                            USB HUB with power Indicator lights
                            -----------------
                            Computer #1
                            Com21 Cable Modem

HP OfficeJet Pro 1175Cse 4/1 printer/Scanner/Fax/copier
                            HP Photo Scanner
                            -------------------
                            Video Camcorder (digital):
                            JVC GR-DVF31U
                            ================

----------------
                            Computer(s)
                            8-17-03

my computer profile:

=========

Ramstein
                            F4, IL-2FB, EAW, CFS2
                            -------------------
                            Ramstein's Computer:
                            Asus P4P800 Deluxe 800 FSB
                            P4 2.4c 800 FSB CPU
                            256 PC3200 Kingston DDR Ram
                            PowMax case with 400 Watt Power Suply
                            ATI Radeon 9000 64MB
                            Saitek X36 USB Flight Control Stick
                            Windows XP Pro
                            Shamrock 17" Monitor (old but still working perfect).
                            Mitsumi 4801TE 4x8CDRom Drive Burner
                            Panasonic 32x CDRom Drive
                            2Cool PC Cooler (Fan)

=====

My New computer
                            Ramstein
                            F4, IL-2FB, EAW, CFS2
                            -------------------
                            Ramstein's Computer:
                            Asus P4P800 Deluxe 800 FSB
                            P4 2.4c 800 FSB CPU
                            256 PC3200 Kingston DDR Ram
                            PowMax case with 400 Watt Power Suply
                            Matrox Marvel G400 Video Card (old but good).
                            Saitek X36 USB Flight Control Stick
                            Windows XP Pro
                            Shamrock 17" Monitor (old but still working perfect).
                            Mitsumi 4801TE 4x8CDRom Drive Burner
                            Panasonic 32x CDRom Drive
                            2Cool PC Cooler (Fan)

==============

Newegg.com

Asus P4P800 Deluxe MB
                            P4 2.4c 800 FSB CPU
                            Windows XP pro Full
                            = $455 shipped

Kingston PC3200 Daul DDR Ram 128 MB x (2) = $70 shipped

Maxtor 120 GB Hard Drive $120 - $60 in rebates = $60

PowMax case with P4 400 Watt Power Supply = $30 out the door.

Total = $615
                            -----------
                            the rest I already had..

======
                            ====

Comment

Lamest Olympic 'sport' ever: Syncronized platform diving. I couldn't believe that was on last nite.

Overall, the Olympics aren't interesting to me in the least. I'd rather watch the end of the baseball season. Who gets home field advantage is much more exciting to me than two women hitting the water at the same time.

Naked female sports I'd like to see: tennis, judo (naked women wrestling...mmmmm), and soccer.
                              PIII 550@605
                              IWill Motherboard VD133
                              VIA Chipset
                              512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                              G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                              DirectX 8.0a
                              SB Live! Value
                              8x DVD (Toshiba)
                              6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                              Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                              3Com CMX Cable Modem
                              Optiquest V95 19"