Looks like Denmark will vote NO...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like Denmark will vote NO...

to the European Monetary Union (EURO)...

45,9% YES, 54,1% NO right now.

How do you feel about this?

I'm sad !

But It's not over yet. Only 6,5% of the votes have been counted now and these votes are from the small towns where people are known to vote in a negative way towards the EU.

Regards,

Jake
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

don't stress yourself Jake, you don't yet know the definite outcome!!

Comment

92.7% votes counted.

46.9% Yes, 53.1% No.

Sad, really sad...

Regards,

Jake
      Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
      ----------------------
      Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

If I was a Danish citizen I would vote against...

since I am a Dutch citizen, and we didn't have any voting for the Euro, I am even stronger against it. How can you make such a decision without asking what the citizen think of it? Of course in a democracy the elected leaders can take decisions, but not all decisions, and certainly not ones like these.

Oh, don't think I am against a 'Euro', but I am against one as you find in it's current form. Countries like Italy and such (no harm intended) should not be allowed to participate into a common currency until the stability of their economy has reached a certain level.

Looking at the current value of the Euro, I am not the only one think like this.

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 29 September 2000).]

Comment

Living in the US where some of our states are as big as some of the Euro countries, I can not imagine what it would be like if all of our states used different currency. Having to try to remember exchange rates everytime you crossed a state line would be a real pain in the ***.

Joel
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

dzeus - I know that us danes are rather privilidged to even be asked wether or not we want to join, when most other europeans didn´t get a say in their countries. But if you ask me, this question shouldn´t have been up for a vote. The government should have made the descision for us. 95 % of the danish population don´t have the knowledge about economics to make such a descision, so instead the election becomes about things like national feeling, beeing able to decide for ourselves or just plain "we don´t want to get rid of the danish krone, cause that´s what makes us danish", when in fact it´s all about ECONOMY.

I agree that too many countries with unstable economies have been allowed to join way to soon. And that was the only reason why I had some boubts what to vote, cause if you allow italy (and others) to join.. who´s next ? But we can´t change that now, and besides I think the euro will do just fine anyways.

oh yeah... in case you were wondering... I voted yes last night!

[This message has been edited by Chris B (edited 29 September 2000).]
            If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Joel is right. Here in Europe we NEED a single currency, or we won´t stand a change against other markets. It´s just plain silly to be attatched to nonsense patriotic feelings.

But dZeus and Chris have a point to, the current Euro implementation was a bit rushed, IMO.

And I´m against popular consultation. It´s silly. The governments are elected in democratic elections, they have an election manifest, so they have to take this kind of decisions. Following that line of though then people would have to vote for EVERY law that would be aplied. Now that would be fun, right?

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 29 September 2000).]

Comment

Hey Nunno, that's almost what's happening in Switzerland

We got used to and anybody wanting to take us that right should better run fast.

We even just had an election last sunday asking us if we'd want to vote on a law, not in the old fashioned way yes/no, but even to be able to say yes or no on paragraphs of a law.
                Kinda like the americans would have to vote:
                do you accept the first point of the constitution, do you accept....

That's a little too much

Vlip, a happy citizen who has to go vote each two/three months

Comment

I'm all for it although Mr Bland doesn't agree with me though
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                  X