MX400 Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MX400 Rant

OK I guess I just want to see if anyone else is getting these problems which is why I'll be posting this to the General Hardware forum aswell although it is really a rant. I sent this to Diamond technical support and want to see what you guys think. It is by no means articulate (wonder how that's spelt).

Computer Specs:

P3 500

64MB PC100 RAM

48x AOpen CD-ROM

Asus P3B-F

Matrox G400 MAX

Generic Floppy

Logitech keyboard yadda yadda yadda

Soundboard ID: 4000

Release Version 1.02

Ok here goes, first off I'm using final edition WinME, if you don't yet support it please let me know, I can be patient.
    I installed my retail MX400, all went well, I was quite impressed with how simply it worked, I played an MP3, I was quite impressed I then heard another sound, I think it was an ICQ message or something, I don't know what the feeling was, a sickness almost, when I realized the MP3 volume went higher for a second then back to normal after the ICQ wave had stopped playing. And this continued with every windows sound or anything played. I heard the Canyon3D had problems with this sort of thing in the beginning, I thought by now the issue would've been fixed, I got the latest drivers and installed them, things went well, I still have that problem though. Anyway moving along, I opened up my fav. game of the time. Unreal Tournament, things went well, very well the first map I played was an Assault map call Guardia, I was in spectator mode as you are when you first start and there was a waterfall sound coming from somewhere in fron of me, I had 4 speakers plugged in, "flew" around the source and was amazed at how well it the sound moved around me, I thought now I'm glad I bought this sound card so I started playing, the sound was to put it bluntly very screwed, I don't know why but whenever I fired weapons I could bearly hear them, the only things I could hear were peope that were right next to me, if this is that HRTF or whatever crap then it sucks cos I couldn't hear a weapon in my hand properly, how close does it have to be, the only weapon that was loud was the eightball (rocket launcher) it would load up the rockets then fire them and I would hear them fire for half a second or so very loudly which was cool then they went quiet. So I opened up Counter-Strike, I went to Audio and selected both A3D and EAX, I then joined a server which was playing Estate, all I could hear around the entire map was a damn cricket, aswell as the occasional proper sound like gunfire that I couldn't see. I tried Team Fortress 1.5 and I could hear sound again from guns that I couldn't see, I'm guessing and this is only a guess that people in other areas of the map were firing their weapons and HRTF or whatever was stuffing up and playing them loudly near me. Now for some reason whenever I try to use the Audio InControl tools I double click on the little musical note icon in the system tray and nothing happens, I can no longer right-click on the icon and click on about monster sound which I could do before ie. it freezes and I have to end task on it meaning I now have no control over whether or not I'm using 2 or 4 speakers etc. not that I get much control using this thing, I would really like to disable this Senaura thing, the sound of the Sensaura being detected and that little image makes me cringe when I try out the latest game demo or anygame with any effects because I know I will not be able to hear the audio properly, for instance I started playing the recently released demo of Deus Ex the Sensaura took over and all I could hear was music and every now and then some very very crackly effects, whent he tutorial dude spoke I heard some crackles and could just barely understand him and occasionally I heard what sounded like footsteps. Are these issues going to be addressed or is it just me? I feel that if this is the way Diamond products are headed I'll have to stop buying them, and indeed warn my friends and colleagues (who come to me quite often to talk about hardware) away from all Diamond products.

okie doke that's all
    P3 500 @ 600
    256MB PC133 RAM
    64MB PC100 RAM
    Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
    Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
    WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
    G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
    Monster Sound MX400
    512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
    Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
    ASUS P3B-F
    Logitech X1 Speakers
    Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
    Logitech Internet Keyboard
    19.1G IBM 60GXP
    8.4G Seagate
    1.57G Fujitsu

Aw.. Can you honestly expect anyone to read through a paragraph that long without any formatting and spacing? I pity the tech support personnel.

Anyway, I never heard anyone say a single positive thing about the mx400. By the way, hasn't Diamond closed its door some time ago? I suppose S3's main interest is the Rio now.

Comment

fds, they shut down the graphics division only.

I gave up on Diamond Multimedia Systems back before they changed their name from Diamond Computer Systems. They have absolutely the worst tech support/crappiest drivers, etc. of any hardware group on the planet!

Werda, your best bet is to toss that POS card out the window and never, never, NEVER buy anything from that company again!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe... I once tried a VideoLogic SonicStorm PCI (with ESS Maestro-1 chipset).

I can only say one thing:

AAAAARRRRGGGG!!!

Stay away from anything called 'ess' or 'videologic'.

Oh, and I was very happy when I found out that Diamond planned to _NEVER_ write Win2k drivers for their first SoundCard (which I owned), called the MonsterSound MX100.

That's when I decided never to buy Diamond Stuff again.

And once I bought a Hercules Terminator Beast, which had the S3 Savage3D chipset...

soon I found out that the Savage3D actually was a beta version of the later released Savage4, and it had some hardware design faults, so bad that S3 didn't even dare to release the hardware specs to 3D parties so that they could write linux/beos drivers for it. And that was when I decided I would NEVER buy a s3 powered card again.

In my opinion, stay away from these brands:
        - VideoLogic
        - ESS
        - Diamond
        - S3
        - and many others which I wont put here, because it would take up too much space

Comment

Werdna - I get the same sound effects as you describe when I turn on the "Use Surround" or "Use 3D Hardware" option in UT. The only mode that sounds correct to me is:

UseSurround=False
          UseStereo=True
          UseSpatial=False
          Use3dHardware=False

Try turning off any 3D hardware options and see what happens. I don't know how to fix this, but at least this allows me to play until I figure it out.

------------------
          800e PIII @ 950 MHz (1.70 V) w/Tennmax P3 TF heatsink, ABIT BE6, 2X128 MB Mushkin PC133 (Mosel REV2 PC133 222) + Hercules Prophet II 64 MB, CL SB Live, Netgear FA310TX Ethernet, IBM Deskstar 34GXP (13 GB, 7200 rpm ATA66) HD, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM Ultrastar 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WD Enterprise 4360 4.3GB 7.2k UW SCSI HD, Pioneer 303s SCSI DVD, Plexwriter 8/4/32A, Win2K all in a modified Supermicro SC750A case, also Sennheiser HD-600 headphones, Sennheiser DSP360 Dolby processor, and a Shure FP22 headphone amplifier.

Comment

Greebe, are you sure that Diamond is still gonna make/support (if you can call what they do support) sound cards from here on out? I'm pretty sure that the last I heard, they were dropping computer audio and video, not just the video. (Not that I'm ever wrong )

------------------
            Ace
            "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
            Gainward Ti4600
            AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Diamond has never supported their products anyhow, so what's the difference?

Comment

Rags...LOL!

Can't agree more.

John

Comment

You're quite right Ace they've dropped the lot here's what I got in reply...

Dear Valued Customer,

If you already have the driver package from our website, I'm not sue what
                  else we can offer. It just may turn out that the MX400 is not the best sound
                  card choice for your system. Perhaps a Soundblaster Live would be a better
                  choice. S3 has recently decided to close it's video card and sound card
                  divisions, so I cannot even begin to speculate on when/if a Windows ME
                  driver will be available.
                  Talk about faith in their product, recommending a competitors product, I can't believe this, what happens to all the retail stores that bought the card to sell. oh well. I am definetly staying away from Diamond now, I trusted ESS to a certain extent after how long my old ES1869 ISA sound card lasted.
                  P3 500 @ 600
                  256MB PC133 RAM
                  64MB PC100 RAM
                  Primary: Gateway EV700 17"
                  Secondary: AcerView 54eL 15"
                  WinXP Professional Build 2600 (with Plus!, it's prettified!)
                  G400 MAX (@ 171, 228)
                  Monster Sound MX400
                  512/128 DSL from SMC EZ Card
                  Samsung 8X DVD-ROM
                  ASUS P3B-F
                  Logitech X1 Speakers
                  Logitech Cordless Mouse SE
                  Logitech Internet Keyboard
                  19.1G IBM 60GXP
                  8.4G Seagate
                  1.57G Fujitsu

Comment