Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has gasoline/petro prices gone up around the world like they have in the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has gasoline/petro prices gone up around the world like they have in the US?

I was wondering if the rest of the world has had a 50-70% rise in gas prices this year or has it only been here in the US?

Gee, not 50-70% but 10%+, yes. We pay too much taxes in petrol products, and the governement had a broad margin and reduced taxes for people donĀ“t suffer a big impact in they daily life (wich they did after all, gas is way too expensive compared to what people earn).

But, out of curiosity, how much is the gas there in USA?

Comment

We pay Taxes everywhere. In the U.S., you work for the goverment. If you add up every tax you pay this is easy to see!

Our Gas prices in NJ are 1.75 a gallon. up this year from 1.00. Taxes are collected for roads and services at many other places and at the pump. I was just wondering if this kind of spike has been seen in other parts of the world or was it manufactured to take cash from Americans. I could write a book here but you all get my point.

Comment

As much as I don't like the high prices either I think us in the USA should still count ourselves pretty lucky. There are other countries where they they pay as much per litter (about a quart) as we pay for a gallon and the biggest part of what we pay is taxes. Also if they would banned these gas guzzling SUV's, that will never see a back road because of who owns them, then maybe the demand for gas would not help to drive up the prices.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Prices in canada have gone from about $.50 to $.70 per litre. That's 3.8 gallons in a litre and 1.5 canadian dollars per us dollar. It works out to a change from US$1.27 to US$1.78 per gallon, or a 40% increase...

--
          Andrew

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 12 August 2000).]
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that 3.8 liters per gallon?

Joel
            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Uh, yeah, right. Damn. The math is still right, I just typed it wrong
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

All I know is that if I fill up the tank, my wallet is alot more empty than it was before. We pay about 2 guilders and 70 cents per liter these days (that's about 1.125 US Dollars), and it includes taxes, a special "environmental" quarter (25 cts per liter!!!) set by our Prime Minister and a couple of other stupid things.

And that's for the Euro 95 unleaded fuel.

And it just sucks

Jord.
                JordĆ¢ā€žĀ¢

Comment

$1.75 a gallon in the SF Bay area would be considered a bargain. I don't drive (and I may be the only Californian above the age of sixteen who doesn't), but my roommate complains of gas prices well above $2.00 a gallon.

It drives people in the Bay Area insane that our fellow Californians in the Los Angeles and San Diego metropolitan areas aways pay less for gas than we do.

Joel is correct. Outside of Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, most people pay far more for gas than drivers in the US do. Of course, this is small consolation for Northern Californian who are paying the highest gas prices in the United States.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

just come over to Holland and fill your tank for 4.275 dollars a gallon

(if I correctly interpret all the numbers here)

feel better now?

Comment

For my Euro pals, You might get slammed at the Pump but I get slammed here in NJ in so many other areas like Local, State and Fed taxes. I pay taxes at the pump at the store, when I buy and when I sell.

Yes your road taxes and tranportation taxes are in your petrol buy we pay more than you when the smoke clears.

Comment

When it comes to the price of owning and using a car, I think the Finnish, Dutch and the Danish are the the ones paying the most.

The normal everyday cars cost about 1.6 to 2 times the price in the US, which means that the engineer Joe is forced to drive around in 10 to 15 year old cars, as he couldn't buy a Toyota Corolla with all of his yearly net income (heavy income taxes).

We also have yearly taxes (penalties for owning one), from 80 to 150USD/year.

Comment

You're all wrong, here in the UK we pay the most (although there has been a slight drop in petrol prices because they're SO high lately.) We pay 80p/litre of 95 octane unleaded (I know in the US you have lower grade petrol so I'm not sure how well it compares...) That's about $5US/gallon... Plus road taxes and the whole deal. And our cars cost approximately 30% more than a similar car anywhere else in europe...

Comment

Butcher, I just had to check your claim about the car prices, and as I thought, the prices here in Finland are still about 10% higher than in UK.

Comment

Yes, you guys in the USA consider yourself very lucky, you pay half we do for the same amount of gas and you must have an average income about 4 or 5x much.

About cars, here in Portugal we have the most obnoxious car taxes (I think the whole EU must laugh at us) - the car tax is calculated based on the size of the engine. If we buy a car with more than 1.6 liter engine the tax becomes prohibitive. If we had your american style engines (2.5 liter up...) we would end paying as much taxes as the car value. Of course, there are people who can aford it, but definitly not the average Joe.

That creates some silly situations, I remember in a recent past a Honda Vtec 1.6 with 160 hp payed like half the tax a VW golf 2.0 with 115 hp...

Comment

Working...
                              X