AMINE!!! or is it anime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMINE!!! or is it anime?

For those who don't know, I am a big anime phreak. Anywho, I just picked up a new anime called Ruro[u]ni Kenshin. WOW! One of the best animes I have ever seen, and it isn't supposed to get REALLY good until after episode 26...of 94. eek.

If anyone is interested, other good 'new' anime series are:

The Vision of Escaflowne [HIGHLY recommended]
    Cowboy BeBop
    Trigun
    Record of Lodoss War
    Fushigi Yugi
    Mobile Suit Gundam Wing W [the same on Cartoon Network, but on DVD you get the uncut version, which makes more sense]
    El Hazard

There's more, but that should do for now.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

You have my attention, Jammrock. Where do you find these DVDs? Especially the Gundam Wing W, as I've been trying unsuccessfully to follow the cartoon network series for a bit now.

------------------
    Ace

"..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

<a href="http://www.netflix.com/ec_browse_header.asp?sid=3&ct=browse&dt=generic&fn =title&fv=Gundam+Wing+W&ln=50&dvd=Y&inc=Y&fc=Y&str =0&grp=&med=&sub=N&si=flixfinder" target="_blank">NetFlix.com</a> has Operation 1 and Operation 2 (the link takes you to the page containing the links to these 2 DVDs).

------------------
      JamesA: Just a Dumbass MURCer
      System Details

&quot;Have you had any licorice lately?&quot;

<b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Comment

Oops. Just found out they are out of stock. Somebody rented it out.

<b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Comment

My favorite place to buy DVD's online is at Express.com. All pre-orders are 40% off! Shipping is a bit much compared to other places, but they ALWAYS ship on time, have an EXCELLENT stock (haven't seen them run dry on anything yet), a ton of different titles and good customer support (they should be paying me for writing this).

Follow the link and then go to the Browse Title drop down menu. Select Anime and click go! It will bring you to their selection of anime on DVD, which is pretty damn big. Most pre-orders run you $17.99-$19.99 (except boxsets) and shipping is $5-$10. I HIGHLY recommend you ship via FedEx 2-day Air. It cost a bit more, but it gets to you in a timely manner (USPS is slow as hell shipping small packages for some reason). So for a typical pre-order you pay about $25, get it before your local Suncoast does, and pay $8 less than buying it at Suncoast.

And that's why I wear the bowtie.

Jammrock

Comment

I was wondering when an anime thread would hit the Soap Box.

It's been a couple years since I stopped following anime in earnest, but I've started to get interested again. Some of my favorites include

Kimagure Orange Road
            Maison Ikkoku
            Neon Genesis Evangelion
            Fushigi Yuugi
            Urusei Yatsura
            Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
            Anything by Miyazaki (but I'm particularly fond of Whisper of the Heart and Nausicaa)
            Yawara! A fashionable judo girl

I know. Girlie stuff. There are a couple of embarrassing shoujo titles I could have put on that list. I have nothing against giant robots, however. I could have used one when I was twelve.

Here's a bit of ancient trivia. The Rumiko Takahashi character, Lum, was inspired by the first Clarion Girl and the mother of all "bikini idols," Agnes Lum. If your curious, here's a page with a picture:
            http://photojpn.org/books/bikini/agnes.html

Here's a picture of Ms. Lum in all her bikini'd glory:
            http://www.chem.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/work...s/AgnesLUM.JPG

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

You have now heard 80% of Shinji's dialogue from Neon Genesis Evangelion. I can't believe I fogot EVA! The first DVD is out, the second is delayed, but Neon Genesis Evangelion (EVA) is a must! It makes you look deep down inside and say, "huh? WTF, is going on?" I had to re-adjust the Wierd-$#!*-O-Meter after watching this show and the End of Evangelion movie.

There's nothing wrong with a little shoujo (basically, girly anime). I added Fushigi Yugi to my original list. If you like it, who cares. I liked Akira, I hated Ghost in the Shell, so sue me.

Some more title to check out are:

Ninja Scroll (very violent with some very unhappy moments)
              Akira (the classic 'guy' anime)
              Fist of the North Star (extremely violent. This show started the fourth rule of anime that says, "All anime characters have 12 gallons of blood stored under high pressure in them.")
              Blue Seed (more shoujo, but good)
              Those Who Hunt Elves (hilarious)
              Sorecer Hunters (funny)
              Tenchi Muyo (on cartoon network right now)
              Dargonball /Z (never got into them, but people seem to like it)
              anything by Miazaki/Ghibli studios, like Princess Mononoke, Castle of Casteligro (sp?), Kiki's Delivery Service, etc.
              X (comes out on VHS soon, DVD later)

I'll think of more later. Yes I have seen a lot and I'm proud of it!

Jammrock

Comment

ya where do you get the good anime.

i saw record of the lodos war, loveed it i got to get it on dvd, (amazon.com has it and they are takeing pre orders on the sequial) but they dont have some of the others you named. so give up the link (please)

noel
                msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Thank you very much, Jammrock. Now I gotta go weedle the extra spending money, but at least I know where to find them!

------------------
                  Ace

"..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                  Gainward Ti4600
                  AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

What's the difference, all anime looks the same! (All bow down before my crusade against big-eyed, wierdly animated cartoons! )

Comment

Those are fight'n words Jon P. Inghram! The only people who don't like anime are people who have never seen any, don't know what it really is and people who are messed up in the head. Next you're going to say you didn't like the Princess Bride and Star Wars, I bet.

I'll have you know that some of your childhood favorites were anime's. Transformers in anime, bet you didn't know that. Robotech is anime, I bet you watched that, too. Speed Racer, anime. Pokemon...it's anime, just kids anime like Digimon.

And if you are crusading against "...big-eyed, wierdly animated cartoons!" you are losing. Pixar, the people who made Toy Story 1/2 and A Bug's Life, are admitted anime fans. They said in many of their interviews that whenever they needed inspiration they would watch Miazaki movies (Princess Mononoke, Graveyard of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, etc.). Disney themselves are switching over to big-eyed characters, too. Look at Tarzan, they all had big eyes and wild facial expressions, just like anime.

The moral of the story...anime is here to stay. Your crusade is already dead. Bow down to superior animation and like it, damn it!

Jammrock

Comment

Ok, I grew up in Hawaii from the ages of 10-16 and when I was about 12, there was this kick ass cartoon on TV and I can't remember the name of it, but it was definitely anime. I'm hopoing someone here can help jog my memory. OK, what I remember is very, very vague, so please bare with me:

I think it was called something-blazers and it was about this quest to find someones brother who was believed to be captured and taken far away. It took them a year(literally) to find the borther and bring him back(or did they?). Anway, they built this cool ass spaceship witth this big ass photon style gun on the end of it that f*ck up antyhing(almost) and the ship could warp light years at a time. OK, I know that's vague and I apologize, but all this reading got me thinking again. BTW-I'm 28 so if anyone is around my age and watched the same cartoon(early 80's), and can remember the name, please let me know

Thanks,

Dave
                        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Hehe, I just love giving people a hard time about anime for some reason, probably because my brother and all his friends like it... It's just never really done anything for me.

And you're right about watching "anime" as a kid without realizing it, except Speed Racer (why, oh why does that awful thing still show up on TV now and then?). Plus it's rather hard to play any RPG on console systems if you can't handle the "Big eyed, goofy haired look". (Well, FF8 did move a little way from that, but it's still obviously "anime" based.)

I guess my opinion might change about the animation quality if I watched newer videos, but it seems many are rather poorly animated, IMHO.

I humbly submit to the will of the masses... Anime is here to stay!

Comment

Helevitia,

STARBLAZERS!!! Talk about a blast from the past. Here's a link for you to check out to make sure we're on the same page. I think they did a Startblazers movie in Japan using new style animation. I read about it somewhere. That or they were going to make one. I'll check into it.

Jon P. Inghram,

Some of the older stuff is pretty bad animation wise compared to today's standards. Check out Escaflowne when it airs on Fox Kids this Fall (don't know actual air times yet). The story is excellent, the animation is well above par for any TV animation and it's just all around really damn cool.

I don't know what kind of anime you can get in Wichita, but I know of a few places in KC (where I live) where you can get some good stuff.

Jammrock

Comment

Starblazers!

They were trying to find some machine to fix the earth after nuclear radiation had messed it up beyond repair.

Very good stuff.

I also loved Force 5...

Gai King, Danguard Ace, Starvengers, The 3 Spaceketeers, and Grandeizer! Yah, baby!

- Gurm

------------------
                              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X