back orifice and the likes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back orifice and the likes

Ok, figured I'd consult the wisepeople of the MURC for some info on this one.

I suspect, although I'm not really sure, that my system may have been compromised over the weekend. It is also possible (unlikely too) that someone sat down physically and is just playing a joke or whatever. But one way or the other....

What I'm wondering about is any convenient way to detect such programs as back orifice and other proggies that do similar things. Just in case.

Or even better, anywhere that I should really be looking right now to maybe tell if the system was hacked or not.

Running Win98SE. Main security hole I see being the problem was that I left AIM up over the weekend....big mistake.

Thanks a lot for any helpful info.

b

[This message has been edited by spoogenet (edited 07 August 2000).]
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

You should install Zone Alarm, it will tell you if a program tries to access the Internet (and it's a pretty nifty firewall as well).
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

And how well will this work on a corporate network?

b
      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Should work, a good virus scanner is also a good idea..

Well if the problem is from wthin your company : DUMP WINDOWS 98 and get your self a real os! Shame on you... ;-)
        If it's from the internet: Your firewall sucks! You DO have a firewall don't you?!?

And what's AIM?

Grtz

Comment

BO and Netbus will work if you have the corresponding trojan installed on your system. These trojans will get installed when you run these small exe joke games like pie gates and stuff. Once you run one of these exe's, the trojan installs itself on your system while you are playing the game.

I don't know about BO but the trojan for netbus is called keyhook.dll.

Netbus uses port 12345 and BO uses port 31337. You can use any port watcher you want or you can get netbuster which will detect and clean out your trojan if it's allready installed. Hacking sites also have a similar program for BO.

Haig

Comment

Working...
          X