backing up emails(outlook express)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backing up emails(outlook express)

I would like a clean format cause i just found out c:\(my main drive) only has 200mb left and damn that is why it was F* slow.
    so how do i backup emails w/ outlook?
    i want it so i can restore the mails to outlooks

inbox
    sent items ect..folders

*before i backup just by draging the mails and just dumping them on a folder..but the problem w/ that is when ever i want to look for a certain email i have to search thru them in that folder..it wouold be better if i can put the mails back to outlooks folders anyone?

the way to back them up is to drag them into folders, and when you've installed windows again, just drag them back into the outlook application

Comment

Hi Blades,

I don't know if this is easier but I allways just backup the folder "identities" which is located in C:\Windows\Application Data.

The "identities" folder contains more than one folder if you are using the "multiple identities" setup option in Outlook Express 5. The folders with strange "coded" names like "{9EE5FB20-42AB-11D4-94B5-B7D8F5924675}" contains the subfolders "Microsoft" and "Outlook Express" where the actual files for each identity are located.

After a clean Windows install you can import the emails again by choosing "File -> Import -> Messages" and selecting "Outlook Express 5 -> Import mail from an OE5 store directory" in the wizard. All you have to do then is browse the path to your backup of "identities" and locate the files in the "Outlook Express" subfolder. After that chose the "Import all folders" option.

You can also export your account settings, so you won't have to type them again after a clean windows install. This option can be found in "Tools -> Accounts" from the menu in Outlook Express 5.

Also I allways backup my address book using the wizard in "File -> Export -> Messages". I allways use the "Text File (Comma Ceparated Values)" method as I have experienced problems with restoring it later when using the first option to make a backup of the Adress book file (*.wab). Later import is done in same way as export from the "File" menu.

I hope this was of help to you.

Regards,

Jake
      Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
      ----------------------
      Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Blades,

Or, here you go-a step-by-step web page on the topic:

http://www.tech-review.com/review.pl?id=144

John

Comment

thx..i like dZeus way casue im lazy
          but i never knew that i could just drag and drop it back just like that i think i did tried that before but it didnt work..but now it does!?

Comment

Working...
          X