I need help with my Intellimouse Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with my Intellimouse Explorer

Could someone that has an Explorer look in the device manager, under the mouse device, and tell me how many drivers you have installed there?

For some unknown reason... I have a HID-compliant mouse and the regular Microsoft USB Intellimouse Explorer (Intellipoint) installed.

Whenever I remove or disable the HID drivers, the mouse stops working. Whenever I remove the Explorer drivers, the damn thing stops working. And the funny thing is, at 9:00 PM earlier today, it was WORKING FINE!!!!!

Can someone give me a clue as to WHY in GODS name this is happening? I've tried removing every mouse driver I can find from Windows Safe mode, but to no avail.

I've tried to hook my mouse up to a PS/2 port using the adapter, same thing.

And as of 9 PM, the thing STUTTERS like mad whenever I most the mouse fairly fast. I know that Optical mice do this, but it has NOT happened to me since I got this thing 1 month ago. And then all of a sudden it installed the HID drivers, and stutters like MAD. WTF?

I'm really pissed off at this damn thing, what can I do about it?
    McRhea

If you plug it in USB it's normal with the HID (Human Interface Device) thingy and the normal driver. I've allways had it this way.
    I don't know about the stutter thing, other than acceleration and optical don't agree with each other.
    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info, but then why haven't I noticed the HID driver there before? I'm not 100% sure that I DIDN'T see it, but I don't remember seeing it until about 5 hours ago... any clues?

By the way, can you do me a favor? Can you see what the drivers for the HID device are? Mine are:

C:\Windows\System\Mouhid.vxd
      C:\Windows\System\Vmm32.vxd (ntkern.vxd)
      C:\Windows\System\Msmouse.vxd
      C:\Windows\System\mouse.drv

Is that normal?

I can't stand this damn stuttering!! Why did it start stuttering all of a sudden? ARGH!
      McRhea

Comment

All the settings/drivers you have listed are exactly the same as mine. The mouse works perfectly for me, none of the stuttering you describe.

I'm guessing something got screwed up when you removed the drivers. Have you tried reinstalling the newest drivers for the mouse?
        Rob, a great fan of the Aerobed

Comment

SHIT! I don't know what I did, but now my mouse won't even show up under the mouse tab in Device manager, instead it shows up as a HID-compliant mouse under the Human Interface Devices tab. WTF? If I remove the HID-compliant, then my mouse won't even work. Before I messed it up, there were 2 files in the mouse tab. One was the HID-compliant mouse, and the other was the regular Intellimouse Explorer. Now the mouse tab is gone, and if I force Windows to install the Explorer, the mouse doesn't work anymore. This is really fustrating... what do I do?
          McRhea

Comment

Not sure what happened on your side, mine has always worked fine.
            It's an IntelliMouse Explorer on USB.

Here's what I have in Win98SE:

Human Interface Devices ->
            USB Human Interface Device

Mouse
            HID-compliant mouse

The actual type "IntelliMouse Explorer" only gets mentioned in Control Panel - Mouse.

(In Win2000 I have IntelliMouse listed with the system components along with this HID stuff. )

I'm using IntelliMouse 3.1, the first release which supported Win2k. (AFAIK the new version only adds WinME comptability which I don't need yet.)

The mouse also works well in BeOS 5 except for the extra two buttons and the wheel (people tell me the wheel does work if you have the mouse on PS/2).

Comment

This is what I have in Windows soMEthing:

Maybe you should unplugg your mouse, remove all mouse related drives in safe mode, replugg your mouse and se if Windows can detect it from scratch.
              Good luck.

Edit:
              Hrmph, hadn't suspected the white boxes, but this was made in haste mind you.
              Of course I know how to do these things properly, I just didn't have the time, really I didn't, I uhm sigh.....

[This message has been edited by Sisyfos (edited 01 August 2000).]
              Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Ok, Sisyfos, that's how my system used to look, when I first started this thread.

I don't know WHAT I did, but now that Microsoft USB Intellimouse Explorer (IntelliPoint) does NOT show up.

And the drivers for the HID-compliant mouse are from the Windows\system directory, not the system32 dir... what the hell?

Ok, Now I see what's going on... On MY system the HID mouse, and the Explorer have SWITCHED driveres. In Sisyfos's pics, the HID mouse has drivers, except for one, from the System32 directory, and the Explorer has drivers from the regular System dir.

Mine are switched. I've tried pulling the mouse out, booting to safe mode, removing all drivers, and then seeing if Windows detected it properly, but to no avail. I was up until 7:30 this morning trying to get it to work...

Right now, all I have is the HID mouse in my device manager...
                McRhea

Comment

Oh boy, it seems like one of those: 'Is it more time consuming debugging this than a total reinstall?'.

If you choose reinstall, you 'may' get it up and running but none the wiser.

Btw, which OS are you using?

'Total Reinstall' how's that for a new movie with Schwartzenegger? You get to see some stunning visual effects, one where Arnold takes his computer out on the surface of Mars after which his head explodes. Not because of the missing atmosphere, but because Windows still doesn't work.

Comment

Hey, I just popped my WIndows 98 (NOT SE) in and reinstalled over the original. The thing properly detected my Explorer. It now lists it under the Mouse tab in Device manager correctly. Except, when I check under drivers, it only lists two, the Mouhid.vxd, and the VMM32.vxd (ntkern.vxd). The driver version is also different then yours, the Mouhid.vxd file version is 4.10.2223. It says the info for the other file is not available.

And the HID mouse is still listed under the Human Interface devices. When I check the drivers for that, it says it's not installed. ??

I'm afraid of getting rid of the HID mouse, because last time I did, my mouse stopped working. How do I get that damn thing down to the Mouse tab?

I have gotten the lastest Intellipoint software. It's version 3.2.
                    McRhea

Comment

Oh yeah,

I have the 3.2 drivers, right? When you install it, it installs to the Windows\Temp dir. So when I go to device manager and use update driver on the Explorer (that only has 2 drivers installed), point the thing to the Temp dir where the drivers SHOULD be, Windows gives me a Rundll32 error, and it crashes the device manager. It's really annoying. This happened before I reinstalled Windows, so I don't know why it's doing that. Any ideas?
                      McRhea

Comment

Version 3.2? Hmm, I've been there before http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002280.html
                        Anyway, this was more about the software version but it migt explain why you got the stuttering in the first place.
                        As pertains to my drivers listing, they are from WinME. In Win98 I think I remember them being in two places (HID & Mouse), so that sounds right.
                        What I don't understand is the placement of drivers in TEMP. If I run eng.exe, the self extractable will automatic launch the setup.
                        Do you have a version of the drivers, that only extracts and leaves the updating of drivers to you manually?

Comment

No, when I run the ENG.exe it runs the Intellipoint software for me, and also installs the IPfilter.cat to the Temp file. Is that wrong?
                          McRhea

Comment

Ummm. I formatted my drive, and used the 3.1 drivers that came with my mouse. In Device manage under the Mouse Tab, it only lists the HID compliant mouse. Should I update the drivers? Or just leave it the hell alone?
                            McRhea

Comment

I've never experienced any of the problems most people have (jumping/skipping, bad install) w/my Intellimouse Exp. Also, I use the PS/2 port for my mouse (USB ports are full).

I did read that later versions of the mouse driver aren't necessary as long as you've got something 3.0 or later.

If it ain't broke...
                              PIII 550@605
                              IWill Motherboard VD133
                              VIA Chipset
                              512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                              G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                              DirectX 8.0a
                              SB Live! Value
                              8x DVD (Toshiba)
                              6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                              Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                              3Com CMX Cable Modem