Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! My Video Tools dies on me!

Hi people!

Hmm...this is strange. Every now and then my Video Tools just break down. That is, I can't start the Matrox PC VCR remote anymore, it hangs the mashine. This happens pretty much without reason, well it seems so anyway...
    This has happend a couple of times.

*sigh*

Uninstalling VT, rebooting and reinstalling has solved the problem before a few times. Funny enough it doesn't always fix it at once. It sometimes takes some time (or number of reboots?) before it works again.

Ok...I'm running:
    Win95B
    Marvel G200 16Mb (PD 5.41.008, VT 1.52.03)
    DirectX 7.0a
    K6-2 400
    Tyan 1590 motherboard
    256Mb RAM
    9 Gb U2WSCSI-drive
    Plextor 32X USCSI

System works nicely apart from this perticular problem. Note: I reinstalled Win95 a time ago, to get rid of problems with D3D. Those Vidtools problems never happend back then. Well well... get rid of one problem, and you'll get a new...

Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Magnus Fiala

It happens "Every now and then" ... great, for me it happens always...
    Do you use English language drivers?
    I installed the new drivers "Italian" and i always get my system hang when i select video input.
    Solution for my system:
    Install PD drivers(PD 5.41.008)Italian and VT(1.52.03) Italian, after that install again PD drivers(without deinstall previous) but select "English".
    I tried a lot of combination, for my system is the only one that work. If for you does not work, you can go back to the previous drivers, for G200 there is no improvement with new one.
    Ciao
    Sebastiano

Win98SE - Marvel G200 - Pentium III 450 - Asus P2B-F -256 Mb ram - few HD for 34 Gb total

Comment

Hi Sebastiano

Well...yes I use english drivers altogether...when there are no swedish available. I solved my problem again a few hours ago. Just uninstalling VT, rebooting the mashine, and reinstalling VT fixes the problem temporary. But why does it keep coming back? It seems like the VT gets corrupted? Btw VT 1.51 is no different to me, same problem.

Greetings

Magnus

Comment

Have you run a surface scan of your boot drive with Scandisk recently?

Back when I had a Fujitsu boot drive my system started having all kinds of problems like that. Drove me nuts for a week.

It turned out the boot drive had surface errors scattered all over the place. Not fatal ones, but enough that you could write to the disk (as in restoring from backups or reinstalling the drivers) but eventually it would not be able to read the data properly.

End result: programs running OK at first then after a time crashing or not working properly.

One warranty replacement by Fujitsu fixed all.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 17 February 2000).]

Comment

When your video tools self-destruct and doesn't start, does it say video in use by another device? Under VT1.2x when mine didn't work the powerdesk properties tab showed RR-G MJPEG and TV devices in addition to the Marvel ones. I don't know if the 1.5x tools have this box as I've never had to look for it.

It was "intermittent". My only fix was to RMA the board. My board did work fine between these episodes. VT1.2x work fine after the replacement, I've since ugrated to 1.51 without problem.

Comment

Working...
          X