IE 5.5 install rant (vent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 5.5 install rant (vent)

What did I do for 2 hours Friday night? Was I having a great time fraggin with the [MU]? Reading the latest cheese thread? Nope...I was enjoying the "upgrade" to IE 5.5. I can't believe this. Is this some kind of joke? I figured just an incremental upgrade, so how bad can it be? I tried the full install and got caught in an idiot loop installing Shockwave ("you must down load this" => download => "not all components were downloaded, continue?" sure. Download again....again again...). OK, I'll pass on Shockwave. Finally install IE5.5. Outlook Express works, but Explorer? Trys to connect to some MSN site...then that's the end. Can't do ANYTHING IE-related without getting invalid page faults in kernel32. Try the IE5.5 repair. Does nothing. Try reinstall 5.5. Same. Again with fix. Same results. I've had it. Use the handy (I thought) uninstall. I was using IE5.01, but the unstall bumps me back to 4.0 (so they mean restore to the previous rev. level, not the previous version you had installed?). So guess what? Yep. Outlook Express was left at rev. level 5.0, so it won't work, and now I get the joy of re-installing Office 2000. Reinstall IE 5.0 and I'm almost back to where I started.

OK. Thanks. I feel better.

Thats because you need to purchase an IE 5.5 adaptor from Bill. I can sell you one for £20?

(or you can help me get my network working so i can join the big boys!)
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

D@mn, that's the saddest story I've heard in weeks.

I feel for you, man.

-----------------------------
      Holly

Comment

Ah, the weirdness of installing MS software.
        Use Windows Update once when you want to go utterly crazy

I want to download a Security Update that's only 2100k big
        guess, oh guess what happens next...
        Download starts... 6890k

I went back a couple of times to find out if I was crazy, or if I was misreading the amount of Kb's !! Nope, Nope and Nope.

Oooookay... so start downloading. After 4790k it installs something, asks me to reboot the system (you can't say NO!!) and upon return I have to make a new connection to the internet to download the initial 2100k that I wanted to download !! Hmmmmm, so what did it install in the 4790k that I installed? God only knows... hmm, yes, and maybe some spook at MS.

Same happened with d/ling the Internet Explorer 5.01 ... Options: Full install, 18.4Mb ... Custom install, 8.9Mb

Let's try the Custom install. After going through a couple of more windows and choices etc. I start the Custom install: 20.9 Mb

Errrrm... Custom install, 8.9Mb -> 20.9Mb ??
        Errrrrrrrrrmmmmmm.... HELP?

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

I installed IE5.5 w/ Shockwave via Windows Update last night ... no problem, yet.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Jorden.....yep. Too much! Isn't that whole situation a pain in the rump! How big IS that download anyways?

But check this out....I couldn't believe I'm the only having this problem so I headed over to the Microsoft IE newsgroup. One of the MVPs was stating that the MAJORITY of the time you're having problems with invalid page faults in the kernel is due to problems with the graphics card drivers, contact technical support of your graphics card, etc. Hah! While we all expect a lot of Matrox, I certainly wouldn't expect this. Sifting through more posts, I found one from a woman who was having the same exact problem and tracked it down to a problem with Reget and IE 5.5. If you're unfamiliar with Reget, it's a great little Freeware program for managing downloads. Surprising powerful and the price is right. She uninstalled it, and no problems. I prefer having it to IE 5.5, so I'll stay where I'm at.

So I invision poor Haig having to deal with the "it's clearly your graphics card drivers, call tech support of your card" folks, although most Matrox users are wiser, when it's really this nice little program.

John

Comment

Hehe. I spent two hours completing the download on my main machine because of the Not all components were downloaded.. Continue.. Retry.. loop. Each time I restarted, I got a little more, then BAMM!! all over again.

Surprisingly, on the other machine (both going through the same hub to a cable modem, with only IPs different, other than the PC hardware itself) took like 5 minutes to download all of IE5.5, and another 5 or so to install it. THAT's the machine with my G400Max and the P3 in it!! The system with the problems has the GTS and a Celery2 in it, and I still haven't figured out what the real problem is.

------------------
              Ace

"..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600
              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Guess I'm damned lucky then, for the update completed in just 10 minutes in W2k and about ~30 mins for Win98SE and everything works fine.

I was also happy to see the choice of downloading the whole thing for all the other flavors of Windows. (Only allowed this in Win98SE, not in 2k.)

OE remains 5.01 in W2k, only IE gets updated. In Win98SE you get OE 5.5 as well, though I fail to see anything different other than the version number.

Jord, that was probably an updated Java virtual machine or whatever.

Comment

I upgraded my IE at work to 5.01 (Win2K). I refuse to beta test 5.5 heard too much shit about it, and Millennium Crapped out on my machine due to it
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I'm running Win98. I've noticed some visual changes in IE and OE 5.5. In OE, the message contents pane will show a shaded empty pane (in my case a solid grey) initially when selecting a new message, then the message will appear after an instant. In IE, the inter-line spacing is initially excessive ... it will then scrunch down to its proper spacing. Haven't looked for (or noticed) any new features yet.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Isn't the install a major hassle? Anyways....

I sent a little message to Reget asking if they knew of a problem with version 1.6 and IE5.5. Within a day I got a response (keep in mind this is free software) telling me there was a problem, and the version 1.7 beta fixed the problem and was available for download. Pretty encouraging, eh?

But I think I'll stay where I'm at since I've heard of many graphics problems too.

John

[This message has been edited by Johnny Ray (edited 20 July 2000).]

Comment

Hmmmm.... I've upgraded to IE5.5 since I set my new comp up, and I haven't had it crash yet. No problems whatsoever. But my friend downloaded it, and it crashes his system ramdomly... I guess that microsoft for ya... By the way... check this shit out: I'm sure you guys have seen this, but who knows? Do you know what game this is from?
                        McRhea

Comment

LOL. Looks a little like I did several times last night.

------------------
                          Ace

"..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                          Gainward Ti4600
                          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I have to ask this question,
                            Is anyone dumb enough to go to the MS site and do an update with "copied" or "hot" or "from work" or any MS software installed on their machine that is not legit? Because if you do you will get smoked everytime!

Just asking!

Comment

Well, I was too curious.....uninstalled Reget, and sure enough, IE5.5 installed flawlessly. Thinking about it in hind-sight, I guess it's not surprising, since Reget is pretty heavily integrated in the browser.

LAMFDTK...and even though your post is tongue-in-cheek, I still take offense to it. I purchase ALL the software I use, and I spend a lot of money on software. I don't work for free, and I don't expect software programmers to work for free for my enjoyment. I'm sure most that visit this site feel the same way.

In fact, I just today PURCHASED VB 6.0, and what's hilarious is when I went to uninstall VB 5.0, it brought up the "are you sure you want to uninstall IE 5.5 and restore your previous browser?" I couldn't believe it and checked that I hadn't hit the wrong key. Too funny.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X