Temporarily Disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporarily Disabled

Due to problems with my master harddrive, and Holly's harddrive having problems with ACPI in Win98SE on my motherboard, we're temporarily offline.

You can email & ICQ us, but don't expect an answer soon. Partition Magic decided to eat my primary partition, and we're trying to get it back ASAP.

I hope we can get it back, otherwise I'll need at least Mark's help for all of the UT maps again

Ofcourse, this isn't an invitation to wreak havoc in the 'Box. Ant will be looking out for us, and may kick & ban you all

So, where do I write this from then? Work.
    Back to copying the calendar.

See you all soon, we hope.
    Kisses from Holly to the boys, and from me to the girls

Jord & Holly

------------------
    "What goes up, must come down..."
    "What goes in, must come out..."
    "What can go wrong... will go wrong..."

Jordâ„¢

Your hardwhat???? is disabled...LOL

Just goes to show ya that you shouldn't overclock some "things" without proper cooling

sorry couldn't resist, hope you two are having fun.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Oh yeah, right... no PC... that's fun??

Pauly, Pauly... tsk tsk tsk [shaking head sadly]

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Oh I'm sure you can find something to do after all, you have a toaster
        jim

------------------
        Abit BE6-2 with P3 700(cb0) @ 7*143=1002 using an MC-1000!
        15.3 gb Maxtor ata66 and Twinmos 128mb pc-133 ram
        G400 vanilla 32mb @ 168/210 @ 2x
        Sblive with Altec Lansing speaker combo
        384k DSL and Realtek nic
        Windows 98se with DX7a
        Worn out reset button :O)

PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
        128mb pc-100 cas 2
        Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
        Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
        SB Live!
        Winblows 98se & DX7
        and 384k DSL!

Comment

partition magic completely screwed me over too. i almost lost 20gb of mp3s, fortunately their program Lost and Found was able to recover almost all of it. just let me know if you need this program at a highly discounted price

Comment

Heres hoping that you dont go crazy without your home computer
            well, i can certainly try to send you the files again, although i get the feeling that that period of great speed when i transferred those files to you is over, and they can only be transferred at 5.6 k max

Frankfurt
            Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
            WinXP Professional SP1
            Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
            3COM 905C

Comment

Any excuse to spend more time with Holly
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Partition magic never screwed anybody, they screwed themselves by deciding not to make a backup first.

Comment

Ouch that hurt yep you should always make a backup before you piss around with your hard drive. Now wheres mine I haven't done one for two weeks.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ahhhh, so THAT'S what they call it over there.... :P

Dimitri
                    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Comment

OK well then Seagate screwed me over because they made my DDS2 tape backup so freakin slow

Comment

Wow. Sorry to here about the problems with Partition Magic. I've used it and Drive Copy a lot and have never had a single problem.

John

Comment

*cough*PartitonMagic*cough* wasn't the problem. I've used it for years, and in fact their tech support was helpful in solving part of the problem.

Now, Jord is going to get PO'd, but I can't stand him telling this story like it's the whole truth.

I thought that (since I had to leave my mobo et. al. in NYC), that we could dual boot from either his drive or my drive using System Commander. We installed it on his drive, and while we could see my drive on his drive (which was already wrong, since my drive was supposed to be hidden), we couldn't boot from my drive. We installed PMagic to see if we could see what the problem was.

I've learned from hard experience not to mess with Jord when he's working on a PC (we always fight about technique), so I left the room. When I came back, he was implementing what even he said was not a good idea... but still not unrecoverable. He had set his main partition as hidden, then back to active, then started the batch file to do this procedure.

Had the batch file completed, I suppose that we would have been back where we started.

But it didn't... it seemed to hang, and <u>Jord rebooted the PC</u>.

Not a good thing.

So for some time, his C: drive was not readable, being set as PQrp by PMagic, and my drive wouldn't boot due to what we later found were various HW conflicts.

PQ Tech Support was able to tell us how to set the drive back to a readable drive (pay for your software, people!!! This is why!!), but then PMagic found a couple of errors, which it fixed... but then only a couple of the folders (containing .jpegs, weirdly enough) were readable, the rest were in Greek. I think that could have been fixed too, but Jord decided to reformat and reinstall, and as I said, I don't interfere with his ideas about PC's since I would like to see my gd wedding day one day .

So I don't think it was actually PMagic to blame, but more a lot of issues that we didn't even realize, like the stupid ACPI that wouldn't let my HDD boot (thank Heavens I never put any data on the twin HDD that I had bought... right now it's holding my new C: drive without crashing after a clean install of Windows).

The PIT is right... we shoulda done a backup. I would say "who knew?", but then again that's why you make a backup ...

Ah well, all is mostly solved at this moment, but for setting up the network and proxy server so that I can log on without using Jord's PC...

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a b*tch, I just want to set the record straight, so that people don't get the wrong idea of PMagic, which in fact is a great program, that I have never heard of anyone (either in person or in reviews) having any problems with whatsoever, until Compton just now.

That's all.

--------------------------------
                            Holly

Comment

She's right, you know?

In about everything she said up there, so what should I be PO'd about?

But for:
                              like the stupid ACPI that wouldn't let my HDD boot
                              It wasn't the ACPI thingy that prevented booting, but booting from the Iwill controller card doesn't work in this new, or my old PC.

And in her new PC it was interfering with the MX300 soundcard (same IRQ#5), thereby crashing Windows, thereby supposedly corrupting the fonts. Which in the end let to a nice black screen with a "Windows Protection Error, Reboot your PC" message.

I removed the MX300, and her PC boots.
                              I also will be reformatting my second drive and reinstalling UT on it, then setting it up anew. Want to bet I'm back in UT some of these days?

Jord.
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X