New Mexico Burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mexico Burning

Rain! Ack! I was just caught in a 2 minute downpour that dropped about an inch of rain in 2 minutes!

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

New Mexico Burning

The worst forest fire in New Mexico's history is still burning out of control. I live 60 miles away and can see and smell the columns of smoke from the huge fires. Last night we could see the glow from the fires.
    Between 18,000 and 20,000 people have been evacuated from their homes in Los Alamos and surrounding towns.

The fire started a week ago today. It's ironic that they call it a "Natural Disaster" when in fact it started as a "Prescribed Burn" by the U.S. Forest Service, which quickly got out of control from high winds.

Here's some links:
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/404782.asp
    And local links
    http://www.kobtv.com/

http://www.abqjournal.com/

Paul

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Well I hope it's not coming your way and that no one is going to get hurt. I wonder whos butt is going to get roasted over this. Forgive the pun.

[This message has been edited by The PIT (edited 11 May 2000).]
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that, but couldn't you help out a little Paul by turning your computer towards the fire? I mean, shouldn't the "wind" from that help to at least keep the fire away from your home?

Dimitri
        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
        --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

I wonder if the federal government considers burning down large portions of a state grounds for dismissal.

Here in California, we have a word for these epic conflagrations. We call it "Summer."

I had a view, from across the Bay, of the great Oakland/Berkeley Hills fire of 1991. At one point, the sky over San Francisco turned dark gray and it began raining ash. Sometimes you could tell what the ash once was. It was like bits and pieces of people's lives were falling down on our heads.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Well Pauly, at least the nuclear stuff over in Los Alamos is 'safe', or so the government says

Been reading some CNN, and they said about a 100 houses have so far been destroyed, with another 18,000 evacuated... Meaning what?
            Will they allow these to burn as well?

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

We're seeing and smelling smoke from the fire all the way up here in Denver today.

Get the marshmallows!
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

It's a pretty sad situation, fire is still out of control due to 60 MPH wind gusts. Most of the city of Los Alamos has been destroyed. Los Alamos National Labs is currently sandwiched between fires and areas of the Labs have been destroyed. An estimated 5000 to 10,000 more people will be evacuated from surrounding areas.

The rumor going is that the original fire crew attending the prescribed burn called and requested for two additional crews when they thought the burn would get out of control. They were told to call back during buisness hours. By then it was too late and the high winds did the rest.

I also need to add that FedX has put forth a tremendous effort in taking supplies up to the area. They have commited all available trucks and their drivers are volunteering to aid in the relief effort in supplying fire crews and evacuees.

Paul
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Funny the news this morning said the labs were untouched. As for being safe they've got to say that otherwise they'd cause even more panic.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

My God! FedEx doing something useful?!?! Why don't they line up all their lorries to stop the fire spreading - won't make any difference to their delivery times even if all the lorries are destroyed (with contents).

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I suppose i should be glad that we are in 'rainy' old England, eh steve?
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Rainy England. We've only had 0.2mm of rain this month. Down South they've had a quite bit more though. Have you got any you can spare.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You might want to give them a break, Pit, as they haven't seen rain for quite a while in pre-summer. I remember my vacation in the South of England when water had to be brought in from the High-Lands already (about 10 years ago), just to be sure the people seeking out Looe and further South (Land's End), wouldn't start drinking English Ale or sea-water (not much difference, neither foams ) ...

Jord.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Last night on the news they said there was another 4 fires going in the State, plus the
                            one at Los Alamos! Shit we had a small (thank goodness) grass fire about 3 miles
                            from my home here in Belen on Wednesday!

Buy the time summer is over there won't be a New Mexico around!! Just ashes!
                            Time to make the wafers!
                            Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
                            jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

up

Comment

Working...
                              X