nVidiots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nVidiots

I was in the mood to get pissed off, so I began perusing alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia. Some guy named Jerry gave a fairly good explanation of why enabling AGP 4x should really enhance performance. He was clear, concise, citing examples of when AGP texturing actually comes into play, etc.

Some guy named Marius responded. This young genius has upgraded from an overclocked PIII 450 to a 700 MHz Althon at spec. Convinced that CPU speed doesn't really effect Quake3 performance, he assumes his 55 FPS increase is due to AGP 4X transfers. Here's his post:

"Whatever you say.

"This does not change the fact that on my P III 450 (2xAGP mobo) I got 105
    FPS if I overclocked both CPU and GeForce.

"With my 4XAGP (Athlon 700 - but CPU does not play that large a role in
    Quake) I have gotten 135 -160 FPS on same settings with NO OVERCLOCKING.

"(Stability is still an issue on the 7kZA regardless of the AGP settting...
    but I'm trying to find the problem.)

Marius."

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

hehe, I know this kind of stuff.... best thing to do is to ignore these people, since you cannot convince them of the truth anyway.... they will go at great lengths to defend their original statement, even if that means they will make a fool of themselves to all other people (and they know it).

To ignore is the best countermeasure

Comment

omg i know there are a lot of stupid people but not that stupid ......

noel

"where is the any key!!!! i can't find the any key! my keyboard is defective!!!!"
      msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
      it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Hi Noel,

the 'any' key is hidden underneath your keyboard ...
        Just grab it and examine real closely its backside ...

chances are close to 100% that you'd incidently press down a key while picking it up and looking at the backside

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Comment

Bwaaahahahahaha ... where did you get that keyboard, Hunsow ???

How much was it ?
            .. I could need it for my girlfriend, you know ?

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Hehe, Paul. This just reinforces the statement I made in MHW as to why I rarely post anything over in the nVidia newsgroups. W-AA-AAAYY too many folks like that frequent those groups, although there is the occasional bright one, too (which is why I bother even reading them). Same thing seems to go for most of the 3DFX sites.

All in all, this place (MURC) has the most responsible, rational people, or so it seems.
              ------------------
              Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 23 June 2000).]
              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600
              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Sometimes, Ace ... sometimes

I think those nVidiots will find this error message on their screens a couple of times a day:

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

I once made the mistake of using the idiomatic expression, "the book on...," in response to a guy named "Stooboy" who had uploaded a proud post about the amazing results he had gotten from opening his AGP aperture to 512 MB. I responded that "the book on AGP aperture" was one should set it to half of system RAM and not double, although, of course, sometimes you have to set it to 256 for stability and/or optimal performance with some configurations. (He had 256 MB of RAM installed, by the way.)

One of the GeForce fansite webmasters informed me that Stooboy disabled AGP altogether with this little maneuver. I considered suggesting a couple of other things he could have tried before doing something that drastic, but he emailed me the following response, and I decided against it:

"book? nobody gets their best performance from a book.If my system is running like a dream do you think that i am going to change it because some geek has written a book on agp aperature sizes?the bloke probably still has a spectrum!"

I'm near certain, given the quality of his posts, that he wasn't being facetious.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I give most of them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are just kids or newbies.

Comment

You're a better man than me.

We were all newbies once, and I think they should be given every consideration. A simple IRQ conflict can be an absolute nightmare to someone who doesn't know how to deal with it.

Genuine, bonafied fools and incompetents have a tendency to think they're experts and know better than anyone else. There is a certain bluster (which frequently translates to out and out rudeness) that I find offensive.

Teenagers, I think, have to be given a little bit of slack. I suspect a lot of nonsense posted by teens can be attributed to impulsiveness, gracelessness, and the inability to establish cause and effect relationships. However, some people are just jerks. They were jerks when they were teens, and they remain jerks as adults.

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I look at it as an exercise in self restraint, good practice if you ever had to deal with a bunch of 5 years olds running around the house, yelling and shrieking.

Comment

Hehe. That's cute Jord. Sure hope I don't have to see that. Bout the only time that error occurs for me is right after I make a post here, and realize I misplelled several words, and left a few out. Then I gotta go edit the post. Funny how I never catch them while I'm typing/proofreading the first post.

------------------
                          Ace
                          "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                          Gainward Ti4600
                          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

<slaps forehead> That was my problem all along! I still had a spectrum! ... I assume he means, had spread spectrum enabled. Yoy.

No, no this was simple monkey logic, Paul.

"is bigger number. Bigger good! Bigger make faster!", a.k.a, 'well, ours go to eleven.'

Now, heh I dunno if I count as an nVidiot because I did get m'self a GeForce... But I guess I don't understand the mantra of overclocking and never have :|

Since I've got my 900, i've had plenty of people say "Why didn't you just get a 750 and overclock it???" ... I dunno. Part of me would just feel kinda tainted if I did that. I'd have to start running Be, or something.

this is kinda like the guy who told me that MP3 "took the best from MP1 and MP2" ...

[blinks. nods.]

I know this post is disjointed and makes no sense. This is Ami, pre-coffee. ung.

[This message has been edited by PurpleHaze (edited 27 June 2000).]
                            Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
                            Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
                            1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
                            200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
                            Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
                            768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Comment

Working...
                            X