Not quite back yet....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not quite back yet....

I have an interview for an IT helpdesk job.
    I have done this sort of thing before, but never had to do a 3 hour interview before.
    Anybody got any *tips* that I should be aware of?

Cheers all,
    (The move was acomplete nightmare - will tell you later)

Patrick
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

welcome back

A few tips...

Never lie. Especially in a technical interview. I always down play what I really know and then when I explain it to them they are very impressed.

Tell them that teamwork and attitude are the most important things of any job.

Make them believe that you want to work for them forever and that it has been your life long dream to get a job sch as what you are inteviewing for. Make them feel special, like they are doing you a huge favor by interviewing you and that you are extremely appreciative.

Show more enthusiasm then you are used to.

I know all of this sounds extreme, but I interview people all of the time and this is the minimum standard I follow when interviewing people.

As far as technical stuff is concerned...study hard my friend

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

When I interview people, I look for the following:

1) Train of thought - can you answer a multiple part question in order and completely?

2) Get a feel for how they work with others

3) Have them walk thru a hypothetical problem and solve it at a high-level

4) See how they work in adversity

I don't ask many techology specific questions. If you made it to the interview, you're probably pretty smart - we can teach you what you need to know. I'm more interested in what you're going to bring to the team that we don't already have.

Best qualities as far as I'm concerned:

Dedicated, intelligent, patient, fun, willing to contribute to a team effort.

Personally, I hate it when recruits suck up to me - I'm smarter than that and it's an insult to my intelligence that you think I'd be swayed by it... Don't be arrogant, but don't grovel either. It's a calm confidence I look for.

People are always amazed that I don't ask more technical questions. I'd rather see if you have the tools to work the technology than have the technology alone.

Good Luck!
      Andy
      PIII 550@605
      IWill Motherboard VD133
      VIA Chipset
      512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
      G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
      DirectX 8.0a
      SB Live! Value
      8x DVD (Toshiba)
      6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
      Intel Pro/100+ NIC
      3Com CMX Cable Modem
      Optiquest V95 19"
      HP 812C Color Ink Jet
      Microtek flatbed scanner
      Intellimouse Explorer
      Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
      AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

My tip is...

Never go for a job which involves a 3 hour interview.

Work in bookies, it's much more fun!

Although, if you really want the job, just don't suck up. And if it's for a help desk, don't tell them that Harold Shipman taught you everything you know.(< that is a joke)

[This message has been edited by bacon (edited 18 June 2000).]

Comment

I think Patrick's a med student. Should he admit this?

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Depends on what IT stands for in medical terms...

Oy, Patrick, is there IT in medical terms?

Probably something like Internal Terminolgy.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

I will admit the medic bit, wont do any harm!

I have the experience (and it is an easy job!) - easy money!

Its just things like "What does TCP/IP stand for?"
              I know its an internet protocol, i know how it works, when to use it etc... i just dont know what it stands for. Nevermind.

There are only 3 other people going for the job, and i have the most experience.....

I just know my limits, and in a 3 hr interview, they are going to know mine too!

wish me luck guys!

---
              glad to be back, although i have to use an AOL freebie (dont do it!)
              When i get my cable account sorted (could be 3mths) ill be here for good!

Cheers
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
              X