some Tech support horror stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some Tech support horror stories

Well, everyone here has some idea what those are, basically i found this web site while doing searching for school stuff, and i found this link: http://www.techtales.com/ttales0499.html

i haven't and likely wont read them all, but there are some real funny ones in there that i have read. Have a look and let me know what you think...i'll include one to whet your appetites...its an april fools call, but here it is:

Working for an ISP nets you some interesting stories, but this one just blows me away.

Our tech support deparment was pleasantly surprised during this April 1st. We had an unusually low volume of calls on a day of the week that usually is pretty busy. We sat around the office wondering what was going on when one of our customer service reps comes in and says she just got a very odd call.

A customer had called in and asked if she could use the Internet today. Our rep asks why, the customer replies that she'd heard on the radio that the Internet was being shut down for maintenance.

Sometimes you just wanna scream....
    added
    this is another good one, actually a few, but have a look see

[/b]Operating a Computer Under The Influence...[/b]

People should not be allowed to use a computer when drunk, blitzed, stoned, stupid (and not under any influence), etc..

You may be wondering why I say this. As a tech for the big COMPuter store in the USA, I get lots of strange calls. Today I got an entire sequence of them..

[Normal greeting garbage omitted]

Call 1:
    Me: And what can I do for you today?
    User: The Internet is broken!!!
    M: Um... (rolling eyes) Alright, could you please clarify that?
    U: The internet is broken! I double clicked on Browse the Internet, and it gave me an error!!! I demand that you fix it!!!
    M: Is your computer plugged into the telephone line?
    U: It needs a telephone line?

Turns out that the l/user had never hooked up the machine to the telephone line. Let alone setting up the necessary account with an ISP, etc.

That wasn't all that bad compared to the next call.

Call 2:
    M: What can I do for you, sir?
    U: (blearily) Uhh... my Mac can't print.
    M: OK, what kind of Mac, and what type of printer?
    U: (more blearily) Uhhhmmmmm it's a... a.... a... a..... iMac. And it's an Epshun Sev-sev-seven-fort..y.
    M: Have you installed the drivers for the printer?
    (brief exchange about what exactly drivers are)
    M: OK, please get out the Software Install CD that came with your iMac.
    U: Ohhhkay.. I gotta reach over and get it.....
    (THUD) (SNORE)
    M: Sir? Sir? Are you okay?
    U: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    M: Sir?
    U: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

At this point I disconnected the call. I heard back from him later, though, through another tech. It seems he'd had way too many that night, tried to get his iMac fixed, and when reaching for the CD's had passed out.

Call 3:

M: What seems to be the problem, sir?
    U: My iMac screen is all messed up! It looks like someone spilled a paint set all over the screen.

Now some iMacs had a video problem, so I started walking him through the troubleshooting procedures to eliminate a software problem. As I proceeded, I noticed these descriptions of his iMac...

U: My iMac is such a pretty green color.

U: I like this blue iMac.

Hmm, say I, light finally dawning. Could be just that he has a blue-green (Bondi!) iMac and can't decide what color it is. I decide to run a test on him a couple of minutes later...

M: And what color is your iMac, sir?
    U: It's a cool orange.
    M: (!!!!) Alright, sir, you can stop what you're doing. What's going on is perfectly normal and the colors will go away in a few hours. If they don't, turn that iMac off and come back tomorrow afternoon. It should be OK by then.
    U: You sure, man?
    M: (stifling laughter) Yes, I'm sure it'll be okay.
    U: OK, thanks man!
    (click)

I don't know what he was on, but it appeared to be some good stuff.

And the capper, so far today:

Call 4:

M: And what's the problem today?
    U: My iMac has a blank screen.
    M: Have you plugged it in?
    U: I thought this thing ran off a battery!!!! It even shows you how to replace the thing in the manual.

Of course, what he was referring to was the clock battery. Took 20 minutes to explain that that was not the main power source for the machine.

[This message has been edited by Frankfurt (edited 13 June 2000).]
    Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
    WinXP Professional SP1
    Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
    3COM 905C

I heard a story of a woman calling a helpdesk for a copy of internet on a floppy. Laughed my ass off...

Probably some standard story, but funny nevertheless.
    In case it's a harware problem:
    PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
    Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

Ever wonder why Gateway tower cases (and many others) are rounded at the top?

Have a friend that worked for Gateway tech support. His funniest story was from a customer that wanted a new case for his computer. After some troubleshooting he found out that he had a mid tower case and had placed the monior on top if it. He wanted a shorter case so he could see the screen better.

Jammrock

------------------
      Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Heres another pretty stereotypical one, but it's funny just the same. Other people have probably had this happen to them as well, but my dad worked in tech support for a brief period of time. One day about a week after christmas he got a call from some lady who had bought a new computer for christmas. She said that everything seemed to be working ok, except for the foot pedal.......
        (pauses)

I really hope you get that, because if you don't I'm going to have to smack you.

Ian
        Primary System:
        MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
        120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
        Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
        Seccondary System:
        Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
        3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
        Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
        Tertiary system
        Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
        Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Not a tech support story but I was in a meeting w/my department head yesterday. We were talking about web design and how it has to cater to the least common denominator when it comes to users.

He struggled with the right words for 'dumb user' for a while before coming up with:

"unencumbered with knowledge"

Man, he's good.
          PIII 550@605
          IWill Motherboard VD133
          VIA Chipset
          512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
          G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
          DirectX 8.0a
          SB Live! Value
          8x DVD (Toshiba)
          6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
          Intel Pro/100+ NIC
          3Com CMX Cable Modem
          Optiquest V95 19"
          HP 812C Color Ink Jet
          Microtek flatbed scanner
          Intellimouse Explorer
          Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
          AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

I had a 60year old women with 875 meg in her recycle bin on a 1.6 gig HD....

Comment

Please define "had".

Comment

Wow You had SEX with a 60y old woman?!?!?!
                Eeeeuuuwww!

In case it's a harware problem:
                PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
                Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

Better than sex with a 60 year old man.

[This message has been edited by Genom (edited 15 June 2000).]
                  A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

Kinda related:
                    I was helping someone set up his computer, and he wanted to create a login
                    password.... now you have to understand he's got somewhat of a rebellious
                    attitude and goes for the shock effect... so when the computer asked him to
                    enter his password, he keys in "penis"...
                    I nearly fell off the chair from laughing so hard when the computer replied:
                    *** PASSWORD REJECTED. TOO SHORT *****
                    Jan

Comment

Now that's funny!!!
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                        and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                        and burped out a movie

Comment

About 3.5 years ago I helped set up and man the helpdesk at the Jr. College I was attending.

While there a teacher called and asked if the Internet was down. Now working with a lot of computer illiterate teachers (lots of them!) I understood that he meant the connection for the campus. I sad no and started the normal trouble shouting questions and such. Quickly I realized he didn't log into the network but hit cancel (win95). I started to explain to him why he needed to login to the network when he blew up and in a condescending voice told me "I know all that, I'm a computer science teacher!".

I hung up...

My boss understood...

I was a tech for the university for a bout a year and I’m now a sysadmin and webdude for a teacher, so I still work with teachers on a lot of projects. I am still amazed at how little most of my teachers know about modern technology.

Get your doctorate, stop learning and remind everyone how smart you are as much as possible

Jeff

------------------
                          Remember when naps were a bad thing?

-------------------------------
                          You stop learning when you are die, and some people just don't know the're dead yet!
                          -------------------------------
                          ABIT BP6 - 2 x Celeron 500 @ 533 - 196MB PC100 - MX300 - 3Com 509c -Kingston 10/100 KNE110tx - Creative PC DVD 6x - G400 DH - DSL (True Love Here) - Win98 se - Win 2000 pro

-We stop learning when We die, and some
                          people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                          Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                          - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                          - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Working...
                          X