Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newer cell phones can only be used on a single network...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer cell phones can only be used on a single network...

I'm in the market for a new cellular phone and was told that a crystal is being put in each phone that is specific to a company's network (Ameritech/AT&T/etc).

What this means is that you buy your phone for $100+, suffer thru your contract and at the end, if you choose to change cellular companies, you're left with a worthless phone and have to buy a new one.

The option to change the crystal & reprogram the phone would cost about $600 (according to the tech guy).

Can anyone verify? I can see no value to the consumer in this.
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Boy Andy, we're really in synch!! First the Pronto and now a cellular. I've got to pick up a digital cellular today for the wife's BD. Several people I've talked to like the StarTAK ST7760 (CDMA Digital). The last time I bought a cellular was ten years ago and I haven't kept up on the technology or products. Haven't heard about this exclusive network "feature" but I am aware that various networks use different protocols (GSM, CDMA, TDMA) which can limit the phone's usability. I think the consumer value in something like this service tie-in is that the service provider subsidizes the cost of the phone. What would that same phone (or like functionality) cost w/o the handcuff? I usually research these things to death but a lack of time is going to force me to rely on recommendations this time.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I just got my dad the Nokia 6160 and it's quite nice. At one point, I used the StarTac but I found the buttons to be a bit small.

I've got an older Nokia (2180) now but am looking for something smaller (mine feels like a brick).

The big difference these days is the multi-network vs. the single network. I'm hearing that single network phones probably won't even roam. Cell phones seem to be going backwards in consumer usefulness...
      PIII 550@605
      IWill Motherboard VD133
      VIA Chipset
      512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
      DirectX 8.0a
      SB Live! Value
      8x DVD (Toshiba)
      6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
      Intel Pro/100+ NIC
      3Com CMX Cable Modem
      Optiquest V95 19"
      HP 812C Color Ink Jet
      Microtek flatbed scanner
      Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

Newer cell phones can only be used on a single network... but they can also be 'fixed' in those not-quite-legal-but-very-helpful phone stores with smart technicians. The operation is cheap and voids the phone's warranty.

Big + for Nokia phones is their software, especially Logomanager. Very funny.
        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

If you can get hold of the data suite cable from someone, (or make one) then there;s unlocking software available on the net.

My fave phone is the 7110 at the moment. Sure, it crashes two or three times a day, but it just looks so cool!

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

If you think about it, what does it matter if you void the warranty - if you break it, you'd have to buy a new phone to work on the different network anyway... If it works, you have beat the system.

I'm prob. going to settle on the 6160. I've been using my Dad's (he gets it next weekend, hehe) and I like it a lot.
            PIII 550@605
            IWill Motherboard VD133
            VIA Chipset
            512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
            DirectX 8.0a
            SB Live! Value
            8x DVD (Toshiba)
            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
            Intel Pro/100+ NIC
            3Com CMX Cable Modem
            Optiquest V95 19"
            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
            Microtek flatbed scanner
            Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

Hey, you guys want me to pop you over to GH (General Hardware)?

Whatever you prefer; just thought you might find more recommendations there.

No problem if you're comfortable here

----------------------
              Holly
              Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
              -Jay Bulworth

Comment

I have seen the data cables for around £5 in computer shows (UK) - i paid £40 though!

(still it lets me talk to you!)
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I can't believe I'm about to be thrown OUT of the soapbox...

This thread started out as a rant, which is why I put it in soapbox. If it starts getting serious about cell phones, I'll start a new one in GH.

Andy
                  PIII 550@605
                  IWill Motherboard VD133
                  VIA Chipset
                  512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                  DirectX 8.0a
                  SB Live! Value
                  8x DVD (Toshiba)
                  6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                  Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                  3Com CMX Cable Modem
                  Optiquest V95 19"
                  HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                  Microtek flatbed scanner
                  Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

We landed up getting a Nokia 5120 digital phone. The best feature I like about this phone is that its free. Quite a nice little phone that we only plan on using for car emergencies.

/Rant on/
                    I am really put off by people putzing around on the roads with a phone glued to their ears. Wouldn't mind seeing a crack down on this dangerous pastime. The worst is waiting in line while somebody is blabbing away on the phone at the register while the clerk is trying to wait on them. RUDE!!!
                    I think the reason these phones are free or so cheap is that the Feds are subsidizing their deployment: This way they can track our every move. 1994.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Xortam, they don't need cell phones to track us - they have the chip they implanted during the polio shot - don't you watch X-Files?!?

I'm gettting the new cell phone tomorrow (prices are gonna drop June 1). I'll probably get the 6160, but we'll see what else they offer.
                      PIII 550@605
                      IWill Motherboard VD133
                      VIA Chipset
                      512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                      DirectX 8.0a
                      SB Live! Value
                      8x DVD (Toshiba)
                      6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                      Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                      3Com CMX Cable Modem
                      Optiquest V95 19"
                      HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                      Microtek flatbed scanner
                      Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

i got a gsm phone so i could use it with my palm pilot.
                        ==
                        "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Comment

What's a gsm phone? How does it integrate with a Palm Pilot?
                          PIII 550@605
                          IWill Motherboard VD133
                          VIA Chipset
                          512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                          DirectX 8.0a
                          SB Live! Value
                          8x DVD (Toshiba)
                          6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                          Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                          3Com CMX Cable Modem
                          Optiquest V95 19"
                          HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                          Microtek flatbed scanner
                          Intellimouse Explorer

Comment

GSM is the type of wireless network, prevalent everywhere in the world EXCEPT north america where they use a different standard.

So if you sign up for a provider on a certain network, you are 'restricted' twice. One, the phone is usually locked so you can only use them, ie, to recoup the costs of the phone they are selling to you at cut-rate. And second, your phone naturally only works on that wireless network.

IE, here in Canada, we have 4 or 5 providers. All of them except one use TDMA or CDMA. Supposedly it is more advanced than the GSM standard that the rest of the world uses but so far all the devices that I have found that convert your cellphone into a wireless modem for the Palm only work on GSM.

GSM is limited to 9600bps-14400bps though i think. adequate for e-mail i think. and simple WAP (wireless access protocol) surfing i think.
                            www.option.com/snapon.htm www.globalpulse.com

as for "$600" to unlock the phone itself, bah. there is free underground software on the net that will do nokia phones. all you need is a data cable. heh heh heh.

sort of unfair and ripping off the phone company though.

[This message has been edited by rei (edited 01 June 2000).]
                            ==
                            "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Comment

So does mine 9600 is NOT ok for email!

------------------
                              Cheers,
                              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Working...
                              X