Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could someone who lives in or near San Francisco give me some CPU and memory prices ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone who lives in or near San Francisco give me some CPU and memory prices ?

My uncle is coming to visit on June 12 and a CPU (550-750) or an extra DIMM or two could come in hand.

I'm mostly interested in the slot 1, 100 fsb Coppermines and Corsair and Mushkin 128 DIMMs. Although Athlons are cheaper, Purple Haze's mobo story scared me.

I can give you some UK prices for comparison
    Try here

-cheers for the URLs in the other thread btw
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

He's also going to LA in a few days, so prices from there would be apreciated too.

(thanks Paddy, still searching for answers to Q2)

Comment

Not a single soul got hit by a suicidal person while surfing on the cold waters under the Golden Gate ?
        Not a single soul that lives in sillicon heaven (that type of sillicon) ?

Common guys, have a heart, take a minute to think at pour 2K and his upgrade dreams

Comment

I buy a lot of parts from online vendors, and I suspect you're going to have to get the Mushkin DIMM's directly from Mushkin.

I've found the walk-in store with the best prices in the city is Spectrum Peripherals on Clement in the Richmond.

Spectrum Peripherals
          1541 Clement

Phone: 415-387-6362

The local online vendor with the best Intel retail boxed CPU prices is an outfit called Googlegear in Newark. I've never used them, and I've heard complaints about them, but there retail CPU prices are very competitive.

Googlegear
          38929 Cherry Street
          Newark, CA 94560
          Tel: 510-739-1890
          http://www.googlegear.com/

Atacom in Fremont is advertising 750 MHz OEM PIII's on Price Watch for $334.00. You might want to call them ahead of time and ask if they will honor the price.

877-428-2266

Another place in Fremont, Avlogic.com, is advertising retail boxed PIII 750's for $349.00 on Price Watch. Call them, as the price on their web page is different.

888-881-8358
          510-249-0878

Again, I think you should get your RAM outside the Bay Area and directly from the source.

Good luck.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 04 June 2000).]

Comment

Thank you !

Comment

Paul.....we're bound to run into each other one of these days......

I picked up my P3B-F from Spectrum (you're right...best prices, plus I kind of like the place for some reason).

Got a case recently from Atacom (good prices, but tough to deal with)

And I can't believe I actually bought my PIII750 from Googlegear. Got a great price. Not sure I'd buy non-retail from them.

John

------------------
              PIII750 => 840 MHz
              Asus P3B-F (BIOS 1.04)
              G400MAX(PowerDesk 5.52)
              Win98
              DirectX 7.0A
              384 MB CAS 2 PC133 memory
              Aureal SQ 2500 (Vortex2, 2048 drivers)
              Klipsch Promedia V2.400 speakers
              Adaptec AHA-2940U2W Quantum 9/1 GB Atlas 10K
              Plextor UtraPlex Wide Plexwriter 8/20 CDR
              the last ISA modem

Comment

We should get all the Bay Area Murcers together for drinks sometime. Maybe invite the LA chapter.

Atacom is weird. If you go to their site now, they have *ten* different prices for the PIII 700. One pays a premium for the new stepping.

I don't think I'd buy anything but boxed CPU's from Googlegear either.

You might want to try Computers4Sure. You have to go fishing, but they will have bargains and they have a warehouse in Fremont. They ship the same day, and UPS Ground usually takes a day from the East Bay to San Francisco. I've gotten stuff in less than 24 hours.

Occasionally, you can get a deal at Central Computers on Howard Street. I got my Addtronics case there for less than I've seen it anywhere else.

I do like Spectrum Peripherals, though. Maybe because it's kind of a hole in the wall. The prices don't hurt and some of the kids there actually know what they are talking about. (Unlike, let's say, CompUSA, where nobody knows what they're talking about.)

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                X