Finally bit the bullet and installed W2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally bit the bullet and installed W2K

Installed on a new HD. Kept the Win98 drive installed (SCSI) for emergencies. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Good Luck Brian

And welcome in the win2k MURC team ;-)

Vlip

Comment

Good going, Brian. How do you like it?

I have mostly SCSI, so I still dual boot with Win98 SE, Win98 SE Experimental (the drive I mirror to for lets try this..) and Win 2000 Pro.

Still waiting for UMAX 2400S scanner support in Win 2000, last hardware holdout for me.

Software wise waiting for patch to allow installing Adaptec Direct CD 2.5 as you need version 3.1 for Win 2000 support. Won't let you install ver. 2.5 on its own. If you try the 3.1 patch first, it asks you for the CD, reads and installs, but no joy.

I also had to upgrade to Partition Magic 5.01 and Drive Image 3.0 for Win 2000 support. So the upgrade has cost me some.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 21 May 2000).]
      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

Question Scompy?
        Quote:
        "I have mostly SCSI, so I still dual boot with Win98 SE, Win98 SE Experimental (the drive I mirror to for lets try this..) and Win 2000 Pro."

How are you mirroring the 98 drives? With a utility or just copying it? WinNT has mirroring built in for SCSI drives but I never heard of 98 mirroring.(would save me some headaches tho =D )

TIA

-Dil
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Looks like my choice of words was bad Dilitante1.

I use PowerQuest Drive Image to copy my working drive, and restore the image to the "test" drive. I call it a mirror image, though I see it may not be technically correct to those of you who are savvy to all this stuff.

All I know is this utility has saved me many times over from destruction in my quest to experiment. You just cannot copy to the same partition as you are saving. It allows for up to 50% compression, so depending on the size of your image, you would need adequate space. You can split your image up into specified segments too, like for copying to CD R/RW.
          MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

So far, so good. I haven't found anything it won't do. I'm not a very demanding user, other than Q3 and UT. My biggest concern was whether or not the new HD (IBM ATA66) would live at 124 MHz fsb. No problems so far. I just change the BIOS to boot from HR66 or SCSI to change from W2K to Win98.

If anyone asks, I'd say changing wasn't worth the trouble for me, other than the exercise of adding a new OS. I hope I have time to learn something from W2K.

Comment

Happy to ear you didn't get into any troubles.

I either wasn't really impressed the first few days but as time past I felt more and more how this OS is great. Now my Win98 partition has been nicknamed TVOS (no drivers for my tv card on win2k right now).
              That's all I use it for.

Vlip

Comment

Merchant - I have a hard time telling the difference between it and Win98. If you start digging in to it, it is quite different. But from outward appearance and function, it is very similar. It may run a little faster than Win98. My impression. I would suggest you try it. It is a good idea to make sure your hardware is compliant with it before you install it. Get the up-to-date drivers from your add-ins.

Good luck

Comment

I have a Hauppage TV card and the drivers for Win2K are crap!

Is this something to do with overlay?
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

ive been thinking of trying win2000 but i don't know anyone with a non beta version. so i don't know if im going to like it or not.

my dads work may be gettting a copy or too so i may get too try it soon yet.

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 22 May 2000).]
                    msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Merchant:

Your local retailer has several non-beta copies. In addition, you could log into any popular site on the internet with a "Z" in its name (ultrawarez, superwarez, warezaholicz, lithwarez, etc. etc.) and download it in under 10 minutes.

- Gurm

------------------
                      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

don't like or trust warez too much.

got a copy from work, (original with books) they bought 3 machines each with its own copy and i talked the system admin into letting me use one for a few years (untill its replaced or i dont need it no more (ie forever)
                        msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                        it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Well, I did it. I trashed W2k. Dead, dead, deadsky. I tried to change my type of computer from vanilla to ACPI-compliant. No way, Jose. Had to reload the OS. My BE6 allows use of ACPI (which I enabled during OS loading), but I guess it's not 100% compatible. Well there goes the evening.

Comment

Not so!

Flash the BIOS of your BE6 with the latest beta BIOS from Abit, and your problems will disappear! No need to even reinstall!

- Gurm

------------------
                            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm - where is this BIOS file? Do you have a link? I didn't see anything later than last November on the ABIT site.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 26 May 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X