Ever wondered about 11 and 12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever wondered about 11 and 12?

The names for 11 and 12, namely, eleven and twelve, have always been a source of curiousity for me. I know that in some languages, these follow a pattern that fit more closely with the rest of the number system. In English, however, they don't. I've thought of a number of ways to remedy this, and the most interesting one I've thought of so far is to change the word for 1. The names for the numbers 10-19 ought to follow the same scheme as all the rest, such as 20-29. However, onety sounds to similar, and is likely to cause confusion. To alleviate this, a slight change I think is in order. One should become fun. This then allows 10 to be funny. 11 would then be funny-fun. The advantages of this would be numerous. The stigma of being single would be alleviated drastically, as 1 is now "fun." It would also make it much more enjoyable for young kids to learn to count to 10. Would you rather know your funny times tables or your ten times tables? It would also solve the problem of the numbers 11 and 12 making no sense at all, and 13-19 making only marginal sense, when compared to the names of the rest of the numbers.

WHAT are you smoking? And why aren't you sharing it??

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Actually, I was eating Chinese food....

Comment

It would be very unusual for that to include cheese.
        chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

It'll be the kung POW that did it...

Comment

there is no such thing as a bad acid trip, well i might take that back after reading this
            msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
            it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

whoa dude,
              I need to take a nap after reading that
              PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
              128mb pc-100 cas 2
              Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
              Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
              SB Live!
              Winblows 98se & DX7
              and 384k DSL!

Comment

I think the number naming has something to do with the English system of measurements.

Comment

somone with far to much time on their hands!
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

but at least you can spell!
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Oneteen and twoteen, or even firstteen and seconteen (omitting the d is clearer ) doesn't sound right
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Sigh, I tried to tell him he was on crack whe he informed me of this idea. (Elyas lives just down the hall from me) But would he listen?

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

And you all don't have to deal with him daily! This is just the latest of his ridiculous ideas! Although I think this is the stupidest one he has come up with yet... well, this or his idea to walk across the US, buy a Harley and bike back.

I tell you, this boy is completely and totally INSANE!!!! (of course I can't be to far from the same since I haven't got the good sense to stop hanging out with him )
                        Primary System:
                        MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                        120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                        Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                        Seccondary System:
                        Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                        3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                        Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                        Tertiary system
                        Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                        Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

No - as 13 is thir-teen (from third-teen) and the others are similar (four-teen from fourth-teen), 11 and 12 would be first-teen and second-teen which also doesn't work.

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Is there anyone from foriegn locales/who speaks multiple languages that could let us know what 11 and 12 are in other languages, and whether or not it makes sense in yours?

Comment

and yes, I know cracksmoker err... Elyas IRL. And yes, he explained this theory to me... and yes, my head is still spinning, and yes, he has plenty more 'good' ideas where that came from...

Yveva

------------------
                              If you can't convince them, confuse them
                              If you can't convince them, confuse them

Comment

Working...
                              X