Boomsticks, DVD's, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boomsticks, DVD's, etc.

Princess Bride is scheduled for release this summer. Sometime in mid-June if I remember right. Go to dvd.ign.com to get all the DVD release schedules and crap.

My rant:

ANIME ON DVD! I love anime, it's so cool. Anyway, there is a nasty trend by some anime distributors here in the US *cough* ADV/Manga *cough* to release less than an hour of material (2 episodes) and sell it for $30! Can you say rip-off?

On the good side, companies like Bandai and Pioneer are releasing DVD's with 4-5 high quality video, sound, subed and dubbed episodes with extras for $25-$30. The best part though is that if you pre-order an anime DVD from Express you can get the DVD for $18, plus $5 shipping, for a grand total of $23 for 4-5 episodes of great anime!

ADV and Manga are getting better, but watch out for older releases, as you may get screwed.

My next rant - Double DVD special editions. Is it really that expensive to produce a dual layered, double sided DVD? Why are they printing 2 DVD's for special edition DVD's, when they could easily fit it all on one DVD? I guess they really like their picture on one of the sides. I stil don't get it.

Last rant...for now - This is not about DVD's per say, but related. Why is it that Toshiba is the ONLY TV maker that is making component video inputs standard on almost all of their TV's? Although Toshiba TV's are nice, I would like a few more options under $900 for TV's with component inputs for my DVD player! This really pisses me off. Oh well. *steps down from his soap box*

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Gurm.... baby... DUNE ON DVD????

Good God, man, wouldn't it be simpler to just shoot yourself in the head??? Do you really want to hear all those voiceovers in Dolby Digital? "I am the housekeeper," indeed!!!

(Before you get on me, I saw that movie in the theater the week it was released; I knew we were in trouble when a theatre employee handed out a glossary to all of us waiting on line to buy tickets....!)

Jammrock, what's cheezing me off about anime on DVD is that many classics aren't available. Since all my videos are now useless once I get to Europe, I thought, "Hey, I just got a DVD-ROM, I'll replace them!" In fact, the only DVD I have at this moment is "Ghost In The Shell" (a great film, and good add-ons).

So I started searching, and the only thing I can replace is "BubbleGum Crisis", which is not my fave anime anyway.

Where's Black Magic M-66 and Appleseed? Where's Project A-ko (only Part 1 is available on DVD)? Where's Gunbuster and Sol Bianca and GallForce and The SuperGal (even the renamed version), not to mention Vampire Princess Miyu??? At least My Friend Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service have been released in US theaters so those might be available...

I mean, geez! These are all classic animes that have been available for years-- how hard is it to just fling 'em onto DVD? I'm not complaining about some of my favorite "bargain bin" vids, like The Wanna-Bes or They Were 11 or Explorer Woman Ray...

Every anime fan doesn't want a collection of DragonBallZ or gd Macross!!

*sigh*... maybe I'll just get Euro format videotapes instead....

-----------------------
    Holly

Comment

Jammrock
      Don't Sony Wega's have component video inputs? You may pay a bit more for the putting green screen(yeah real spirit level flat) they got on those suckers + the're bloody heavy due to the weight of the glass used in the tube.
      Cheers.

------------------
      Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @759, 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,
      Win98SE 4.10.2222A, DX7a.

Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @770, Swiftech MC370-3 peltier cooler 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,
      Win98SE 4.10.2222A, DX7a.

Comment

Holly: you might want to do the last thing, get everything on European format (PAL) video-tapes
        Pierre has about 650 video's he can copy without a problem... even Disney's videos. (Decoder for the anti-copy thing)

Jason: Everything you buy from Disney is very expensive. I wonder what Mr. Disney would do if he still lived

Jord.
        When I chose to go out
        I always leave the light on
        when I have to stay in,
        you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
        now that I'm living on my own,
        and while they've never been more right,
        can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

want devil hunter yoco, md geist, venus wars and more eck..........
          never mind that im allso a sci-fi horror nut.
          msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
          it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Ah, I'm happy as I've sussed out the DVD->VCD conversion technique. Problem is, it takes the best part of 24 hours to do on my PII-515 (win2k).

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Cancer,

The key was under $900. Min prices of Wega's are $1200. There is a nice Toshiba 27" (don't have the cash for much else) that I am looking at that have component in's and runs about $350.

Holly and other anime fans,

It kind of sucks that the older stuff isn't being released. Some of it definately should.

One more new release rant. DAMN IT, I WANT ESCAFLOWNE ON DVD NOW!!! I have all 8 tapes, but they have been watched so many times by so many people that the video/sound is already degrading. Now they pushed back the DVD release to October, because the dubbed version is airing on Fox Kids. At least this excellent show will get a shot at the big time.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Holly:

Why don't you get a VCR with both PAL and NTSC support ?

There's quite a few of them on the marked, I know that Phillips makes some, and even though they can only play NTSC tapes and not record in NTSC format, it would still solve your problem.

------------------
                P3 500, 224 MB ram, G400 16SH, SB Live Value
                Maxtor DM 40+ 30GB, IBM Deskstar 16GP 10GB, Maxtor 4320 13 GB
                8 hours avg on the last 30+ SETI WUs
                "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

OK PEOPLE!!! HOLLY, WHAT THE HELL CRACK ARE YOU SMOKIN!?! - no, I'm not being mean people (especially people in the Netherlands don't have to come over to LA and kick my ass)

... DUNE ON DVD????
                  Good God, man, wouldn't it be simpler to just shoot yourself in the head??? Do you really want to hear all those voiceovers in Dolby Digital? "I am the housekeeper," indeed!!!
                  Ummm, I don't know where to go on this one.... Maybe just read my name..... ummmm, still not sure what to say.....

DAMMIT IT'S A GREAT MOVIE!!! and a better booK!

But Gurm, why would you want the 4 hour version? I heard it really sucked!

I agree though, I want Princes Bride and Back to the Future on DVD. Also all the Star Wars but that's for a different thread! lol

I'm not a big anime fan, so I have nothing to say on that.

But I think the best way to go about getting movies now though is to wait for people to rip the dvd's and then get them on divx format and burn 1 per cd and you're set. 75 cents per movie and a day to dl it....

Dimitri
                  "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                  --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

CHHAS, I may answer for Holly. Why we're not getting a new VCR is:
                    [list=a][*] Because I have a good functioning (PAL) VCR in our flat.[*] Because sending all of her video's to Europe is a waste of valuable money.[*] Because, if even she wants to bring along the tapes, my brother can retape them to PAL format using his Sony VCR.[*] It's way easier to ask my friend Pierre to copy those movies she wants, for he has about all of them... and what he doesn't have he can hire at the videotheque [*] We need all our money for our **to be kid** [/list=a]

Jorden.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 10 May 2000).]
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I'm sorry, Dimitri... I adored the books (at least the first series, the second set wasn't as fab)... but I really can't bear that film but for Sting's big fight scene.

It bums me out, I love Sting, and Patrick Stewart, and Linda Hunt... I admit that my nick for Kyle McLachlan is "Ol' Wooden Face", but he does look like Paul.... but if one more telepath had looked up and off into the middle distance while a voiceover relayed their thoughts, it would not have taken a telepath to read <u>my</u> thoughts-- the screams of frustration pretty much summed it up.

I'm sorry, it was just such a letdown after those wonderful books, imo. I'm glad the two of you can find something to like about it.

Maybe you can teach me to see it with new eyes (or to stop smoking crack ).

--------------------
                      Holly

Comment

I agree Holly. There were too many bald women (where the hell did that come from btw!?!) who spoke to themselves.... I only liked the movie cause the books were so good. I don't think otherwise that it is a good movie. Don't worry though, I forgive you for not liking it...

BTW, Jord, what the hell is a videotheque!?! This American (maybe more but I'm not sure) thinks Holly sent you her crack so you could make up words like this.... hehe

Dimitri
                        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                        --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

videotheque = your local Blockbuster Video? (Do you have those over in americano?) (actually, didn't we (the UK) get them from you?)

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Am I the only one who caught the 'to-be kid'? Is this the next immaculate conception?!? I thought you two haven't seen each other in a while...

SteveC, you may have gotten Blockbuster from us, but only because we anticipated you guys sending us Robbie Williams & The Spice Girls...
                            PIII 550@605
                            IWill Motherboard VD133
                            VIA Chipset
                            512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                            G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                            DirectX 8.0a
                            SB Live! Value
                            8x DVD (Toshiba)
                            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                            Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                            3Com CMX Cable Modem
                            Optiquest V95 19"
                            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                            Microtek flatbed scanner
                            Intellimouse Explorer
                            Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                            AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

when you can get a movie like 8MM on dvd you really don't need anything else!!

Comment

Working...
                              X