X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrrrr. Creative

Right,

I want to buy a new soundcard.
    My Awe 32 is fine at the mo, but i want to be able to record onto my minidisc placer without using an analogue cable.

What soundcards are out there with an optical out?

I found the Live, only if out want the optical out you need to get the 'drive bay'.

Which means spending £120 on a £40 OEM card...

I wish large companies like creative would start selling their products seperately...

oh well.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Have a look at a review on 3dsoundsurge.com of the creative digital i/O daugter card. Might still have to get a Live! but not the Live Drive (which they're apparently starting to sell seperately also).

Hope that's some help.

Uberlad

------------------
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of ten referred to me by name.
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Cheers,

God i love this site!
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Go to your local computer shop and pick up a Sound Blaster Live! VALUE for $50 USD. Then go to Hoon Tech and pick up an internal daughter card.

Or you can grab a Live Drive.

The Digital Optical I/O card may not be in production any longer. You will need to call Creative and ask, as I could not find it on their web site. I ordered one for a computer once and it works great.

Jammrock

------------------
        Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It looks like you can get the Live!Drive I and II from Creative directly at www.soundblaster.com/accessories/livedrive/ . This will take up a drive bay. You can also get the Optical I/O card from them directly at www.soundblaster.com/accessories/optical-io/ . That's what I've got with my SBLive! Value (the first version) and it seems to work pretty good. I don't get full functionality of the card, but I do get digital in and out in both optical and S/PDIF Coaxial (which is why I bought it). It looks like the newer Value card enables full functionality of the add on card. This will take up a slot in the basck of your case, but doesn't actually use an ISA or PCI connection. You could probably rig something up and mount this somewhere else.

This setup works great with my Sony MD player (don't remember the model number) using the optical in and outs on it.

Good luck!
          A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Comment

Working...
          X