Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 professional

Hello, people.

I am running W98SE and I´m intending to install Win2000 Pro and make my system dual-boot because of graphic design stability (and speed).
    What software doesn´t really run on this platform? Does Photoshop 5 and Freehand 8 work well?

I´d like some opinions on what advantages might Win2K bring to my system, both in gaming and in graphic work:

Celeron 433@459Mhz
    Intel Atlanta 440LX motherboard @70.7 FSB (Bios 14)
    Soundblaster PCI 128
    128 Mb SDRAM 100 Mhz
    Matrox G200 8Mb SDRAM AGP @103/137Mhz (Bios 2.6.20)
    4.3 Gb Western Digital Caviar EIDE
    Iomega internal 100Mb Zip drive
    Sony HMD-A200 17" Trinitron
    Windows 98 SE portug.

[This message has been edited by Alec (edited 17 May 2000).]

I notice that you have a G200. The only warning that I would offer to you is the the Win2000 drivers from M aren't entirely up to snuff yet. I'm not saying that they are bad, they are stable, but I have had a little trouble from time to time.

As far as the software you're inquireing about, well, one of my friends in my dorm is running 2000 and Photoshop 5.5 and he hasn't had any trouble so far. I don't have any direct experience myself though. In case you want a hardware reference point for stabilty concerns, he's got an Athlon 650@761 (117 FSB) on an MSI K7Pro with a G400 and he has had no troubles at all so far.

Good Luck
    Ian
    Primary System:
    MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
    120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
    Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
    Seccondary System:
    Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
    3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
    Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
    Tertiary system
    Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
    Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Thanx, Ian.

Any more views on this?
      Guys?

Comment

Hi Alec,

Photoshop 5.5 works fine for me, but I don't run Freehand.
        Regarding dual-boot, it would be an idea to have a seperate partition for W2K - this keeps everything nice and seperate. I personally dual-boot to W2K and Millenium (for beta testing), and it all works fine for me. I'm happy with W2K.

Comment

My list of successful apps:

Photoshop 5.0, Pagemaker 6.52 (some problems though), Dreamweaver 3, Paint Shop Pro 5, Office 95, 97 & 2000 and lots more lesser stuff like WinZip etc.

Unsuccessful:

Any attempt at DVD videos!

Sys: P2-350, 256Mb, Super P6SBA, 20Gb, Pioneer 10x DVD, Pioneer 36x CD, Yamaha CD-RW 6416, IDE Zip 100, TNT2, SBLive!, 3Com 10/100 NIC, Advansys SCSI, 56k modem.

Hope this helps,

Paul.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Olá Alec!

Go to www.ntcompatible.com
            They have a very nice database about hardware and software NT 4.0/5.0 compatible.

E força aí com o windows 2000, é como da noite pró dia depois de se estar habituado ao win98

Comment

When you install Win2K MAKE SURE YOU DO IT FROM WINDOWS 98!!!!!

The setup reported that it could not determine win Win version so i had to install from DOS, and the bugger upgraded 98 to 2K - no option to dual boot.

DOH!
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Yes, but if I use Norton System Commander 2000 to install Win2K, it´s OK.

Comment

Alec:

1. I don't recommend Norton System Commander.

2. I haven't yet found an APPLICATION that doesn't run at least 90% on Win2k. Most run 100%.

3. Games are a crapshoot. Most current DirectX games run just fine. Quake and Quakealikes seem to run ok (a bit slower though). Older games are a toss-up. VERY old games run perfectly, for some odd reason. Better than they did under Win9x.

4. Don't dual-boot. Just ditch Win98.

- Gurm

------------------
                  Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Ok, you convinced me.
                    Clean install or over Win98?

By the way, how much does W2K eat up in the way of resources?
                    Win98 system after boot up eats up 20-35 MB RAM generically, depending on the computer. WIN2K?

[This message has been edited by Alec (edited 18 May 2000).]

Comment

Start fresh, clean install.
                      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                      Matrox P
                      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                      LianLiPC70

Comment

If you are uneasy about moving right over to a new OS such as Win2k, do what I do. Buy a new HDD, and install it clean on the new hard drive, and use your bios as your boot manager.

Rags

Comment

The W2K CDROM is a bootable CD, so assuming you have a bios that has this function you can go straight into the setup program without resorting to DOS or Win98. If you want to dual boot grab a copy of Partition Magic and give yourself a second partition after the win98 one.

Comment

I would dual boot first or at least use a different partition. You never know wha secrets Mr. Gates has in store...
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                            X