Why is George Lucas such a.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is George Lucas such a.....

...money grubbing, hypocritical, low life twit?

OK...I don't rant that often (any more ). But this one chaps my hide.

Star Wars: Episode One, The Phantom Menace just came out on home video. But only on tape, NOT DVD. None of his SW films are available on DVD.

The guy praises the benefits of digital technologies, uses them to the extreme in the making (and re-making) of his films, then won't let the public have his films in a digital format. We might take screenshots or copy to a tape (thus the "hypocritical" label...praises digital, then won't share it).

His plan: wait until all 6 episodes are done (two more to go) then put them out digitally, with all the fanfare he can muster, and probably (at least initially) will only sell them as a package (which I'm sure wont be cheap...the "money grubbing" label).

To add to his money grubbing, when I went to the store today I picked up the movie (I've seen it once, and that was enough...but my kids just have to have it ). They had it in 2 forms: Cropped and Widescreen.
    Price for Cropped: 19.95
    Price for Widescreen: 32.95
    Of course, the Widescreen version is called the "Collector's Edition", comes in a larger box, and includes a small paperback booklet with some conceptual art and a card with 5 frames of film "from an actual movie real". Woohoo. Another 0.50 worth of materials and a few cells of used film, and they nail you for an extra 13bucks. I ended up getting the "Collector Edition" anyway, because I greatly prefer letterbox format. But WHY only make letterbox available in the "Collector's" version? Answer: $$$$$.

grrrrr.....
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Im with you Kruzin....Im really stoked about why in the hell Indian Jones isnt on DVD..Hes not making any more Indiana Jones movies so put the d*mn things on DVD!!!

[This message has been edited by R-u-Ready (edited 04 April 2000).]
    Flux capacitor overclocked to 1.31 jigawatts

Comment

It doesn't look like the stubborn bast****rd is gonna be changing his mind either.

This guy just doesn't make sense!

The real joke is a lot of people are buying the VHS versions (including EP-1), which is i think exactly what the old *** wants. Count me out, I'm boycotting the silly twat.

He puts the beauty of the Star Wars Universe to shame with his fan-unfriendly antics.

Just had to say something... not that it will do any good.
      Oh well, plenty of other films on DVD. (BTW: The Abyss = AMAZING)
      Co-Webmaster of The Matrox Sphere
      Enter The Sphere:
      go.to\matroxsphere

Athlon 700, 256Mb 7ns CAS2 RAM, MSI K7-Pro, 10.8Gb Maxtor Diamondmax UDMA, SBLive! 1024 Player + Soundworks FPS1000, Iomega ATAPI Zip drive, Pioneer slot-in 36x SCSI CD-ROM drive, Yamaha CDRW4001t 4xWriter, 56k external modem, Winbond PCI NIC/Etherlink III ISA NIC, {bold}G400 DualHead 32Mb[/bold], Iiyama Vision Master Pro450 19' Diamondtron NF

Comment

I just feel the need to flame something so I guess I'll chime in here. What the hell is the f'n sob f'n thinking!?! I mean, for f's sake, he damn well better put the f'n movie's on f'n DVD soon!!! I of course have the movies on vhs, but there's a huge difference in quality, and common, who in their right f'n mind would want to use a tv with their crappy speakers? I personally don't have a tv, if I did, I'd hook it up to my stereo too, but anyway.... hehe got sidetracked. Yeah, the f'n sob is a f'n dumb as$ mother f'er. Damn that feels good to do....

Dimitri

Why doesn't Lucas start making bioses? Then I wouldn't have to have multiple threads for my bitching!!!
        "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
        --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

My fiancee's kid told me that over the weekend, but I didn't believe him. I told him why would they make a movie like SW and not release it on DVD? He agreed that was ludicrous! Now, sadly, I have to tell him that it is 100% true Poor kid, he was looking forward to seeing it has his Grandparents house where they have the full theatre system setup. And on top of everything, the movie really isn't that great. I mean, yeah it's cool FX and stuff but it's kind of mindless.

Dave

------------------
          I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

It's kind of strange though, as I told Kruzin already, for I have since about 4 months TPM on two CD-ROMs, copied off of an American DVD !! How do you explain that then??

Or am I about the only one around with the movie on Disc? That would be odd.

Jord.
            When I chose to go out
            I always leave the light on
            when I have to stay in,
            you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
            now that I'm living on my own,
            and while they've never been more right,
            can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

What rattles my cage is what George "VHS is Supreme" Lucas is doing with the laserdisc release. He thinks that laserdiscs are dead in the US, so he is NOT releasing The Phantom Menace in the US on laserdisc, BUT the @%%h0!# is releasing the laserdisc in Japan! I know of one site that is importing the Japan laserdisc into the US, but they are charging a whoppin' $110 for it. Do I care that much for TPM? Well, no, and it is really turning this former big time star wars fan into an apathetic semi-anti-star-wars fan who was betrayed.

I refuse to buy anything else on VHS. It sucks.

Maybe the DOJ should be looking into the Star Wars universe instead of focusing their monopoly busting effors on microsoft.

Hey Blades, you're in Japan, aren't you? How much $ is Star Wars The Phantom Menace laserdisc really going for over there?

Comment

Kruzin,

The last time I checked, Lucasfilm WILL release the Starwars saga in DVD in 2006 in a 6-pack DVS special when as you already thought the episodes 2 and 3 are finised
                What a stupid thing from Lucas!!!!!
                Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

typo....i mean DVD not DVS
                  Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Actually the official word goes that Lucas want's to "add something special" to the DVD editions and he doesn't have time for that while he's "too busy with the episode 2".
                    Also DVD editions will "definitely come" but "not this year".

Not this year because then you wouldn't buy the VHS editions would you now..?

:
                    B

Comment

Ok, some corrections and addendums:

1. There will be another Indiana Jones movie. It is waiting until Harrison Ford, George Lucas, and Steven Spielburg (sp?) all have 3 months free to start shooting at the same time. The script is done, and everything is ready. Expected release NEXT summer, along with Episode 2.

2. I don't agree with the "wait for the DVD boxed set" idea, but I can see the merit... mostly monetary, mind you, but there nonetheless. I _AM_ pretty pissed off about the widescreen thing though. Damn waste of yet another $10 of my money to see some production art that I've had since 9 months BEFORE the movie came out. *sigh*

3. Jorden, the reason you have the "DVD-rip" is because those moronic VCD-pirates don't know their ass from their elbow. And it's entirely possible that the screener (which is what they ripped the VCD from) was on either a LaserDisc or DVD. I'll check with my screener sources on that one, if I can get it on a promo DVD that would ROCK.

4. Leave Lucas alone. I don't like the goddamned "Midichlorians" thing any more than the rest of you, but it was a fine fine movie. I watched it again last night and caught a whole bunch of things that I missed the first 2 times. It was a bit mindless, but HAVE YOU WATCHED THE FIRST THREE? They're not exactly brain food, if ya know what I mean.

- Gurm

------------------
                      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

I have a little inside on Video and the film industry.

Lucas and SpieL-Berg won't release on DVD because of the failure to come up with a deal with DVD manufac's. They have been quoted on the inside saying why should they Jump start the DVD industry. I hate both of them besides.(more than you can Imagine) take a look at the dig, I inserted in a promo I did on this site for a contest with the Phantom and Toshiba... www.800video411.com

I am waiting for the studio to contact me concerning the "information".

Comment

Gurm,
                          An Indiana Jones film will definitely not be released within months of the release of Episode 2. They are both expected to be blockbusters so releasing them both within weeks would be a bad strategy.

:
                          B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 05 April 2000).]

Comment

It amazes me when I see people get all bent out of shape about this.

Most of those people complaining that TPM isn't on DVD are the same people who said how bad the movie was. If it was so bad, WHY DO YOU WANT IT ON DVD?!?

Anyway, Lucas owns those movies lock stock & barrel (that's why he refused to give up control to Fox with the original and subsequent movies). He can do what he wants.

However you look at it, he's in the business of making movies to MAKE MONEY.

I'm a recent convert to digital cable and DVD is at least as big a step over video that dig. cable is to reg. cable. However, I don't believe that DVD quality makes or breaks a film - it stands on its own merits - not the 'graniness' of the transfer.

Until then, you have the following options:

1) pony up the $35 for the wide-screen (not available outside the US, I understand)

2) buy the regular version

3) buy the bootlegged LD version that is sure to find its way to DVD in the next couple of weeks (be prepared for Japanese subtitles, though)

4) don't buy anything

Either way, why complain? All it does is raise your blood pressure - you're not going to change his mind.

Rent it once or twice a year and all of a sudden, it's 2006 (or whenever).

Also, the next Indy movie isn't a done deal. Harrison Ford has said he MAY be interested but set yourselves up for a different actor if the movie goes ahead. Han Solo is getting old...
                            PIII 550@605
                            IWill Motherboard VD133
                            VIA Chipset
                            512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                            G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                            DirectX 8.0a
                            SB Live! Value
                            8x DVD (Toshiba)
                            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                            Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                            3Com CMX Cable Modem
                            Optiquest V95 19"
                            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                            Microtek flatbed scanner
                            Intellimouse Explorer
                            Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                            AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Why complain?

I think you're forgetting about 3 of the greatest movies of all time NOT being released on DVD for another SIX YEARS!

I mean...why isn't anybody at Lucasfilm using their brains?
                              These films were absolutely made to be on DVD.
                              Just imagine watching the lightsaber battle between Luke and Vader in DTS 5.1 surround and in anamorphic widescreen format...
                              wait a sec while i rip all the hairs off my head...

there.

Six years is a long long time. It is unfair and i must agree it is a betrayal especially when I think this has to do with forcing people to buy the VHS version. It's a free world (in the right places), and we've just been robbed of our well earned freedom to choose.

It may sound a bit freaky, but I think Lucas has been turned to the Dark Side :-)
                              Money luvin ^&%@$$&@

Anger Fear Agression... add Greed to that list.

"Gimme Gimme Gimme... christ almighty when's it enough!" - TLBS
                              Co-Webmaster of The Matrox Sphere
                              Enter The Sphere:
                              go.to\matroxsphere

Athlon 700, 256Mb 7ns CAS2 RAM, MSI K7-Pro, 10.8Gb Maxtor Diamondmax UDMA, SBLive! 1024 Player + Soundworks FPS1000, Iomega ATAPI Zip drive, Pioneer slot-in 36x SCSI CD-ROM drive, Yamaha CDRW4001t 4xWriter, 56k external modem, Winbond PCI NIC/Etherlink III ISA NIC, {bold}G400 DualHead 32Mb[/bold], Iiyama Vision Master Pro450 19' Diamondtron NF

Comment

Working...
                              X