Man, am I a proud Papa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, am I a proud Papa

(Please realize the folowing is tounge-in-cheek)

I don't mean any disrespect to my 2 human children. But, since I am a male of the species, I am genetically incapable of experiencing the joy of creating life.

Hence, I build computers.

Back in the fall of 1998, I built my first computer: G200, FIC PA-2013 1MB, 128 PC100, K6-2 333@350 (a modest overclock), 6.4 GB WD ATA33, SBlive! Value, 3Com ISA Winmodem.

I was very proud. Good in games, except OGL. Excellent in desktop.

After a year I grew tired of the MVP3 chipset and it's idiosyncracies. So I swapped out the chip and mobo for an Asus P3B-F and a celeron 400, which I clocked to 500. Rock stable, and I'm happy.

But now, I need new functionality. I want to do more. So... I swap out the G200 for a G400, a very, very nice upgrade. Soon, I add a RR-G. (Anyone considering one, but are unsure, get it. Unless you want something hardcore in the RT2000 vein, you won't be disappointed). Then I add a few "grey market" software apps, and I feel I'm rocking along nicely.

But, soon I'm storage limited. Luckily, for Christmas and my birthday(which are close together), my lovely wife gives me a new ATA 66 harddrive. To this I add a Promise U66 controller. I'm happy.

But, as all things go, soon I'm thinking about upgrades. So, I sell my 2 PC100 128's and buy one Crucial PC133 128. Very nice stuff. (I can even overclock is to CAS2!).

More time passes. now I'm salivating over the idea of the PIII coppermines, and how they overclock. I break down. In a moment of weakness at a local computer show, I buy a PIII 550 and a second ATA66 harddrive.

I install the PIII, and instantly have a 733 MHz computer. I then solder a resistor to my Promise card, upgrade the firmware, and stripe my two ATA 66 drives together. Now I'm RAIDing away, and am in heaven.

Some more time later, I realize that for vid editing, a lot of people recommend a separate boot drive. So I trade some stuff for an Adaptec 2940U and 9.1G IBM drive. Yet another OS reinstall, and I've now perfected my system.

Truth is, Now I'm a little tired of adding hardware. And this is from a self-labled hardware addict. I've no expansion slots left, one IRQ, and no more desire to reinstall win98. Actually, I feel rather exhuasted.

But, in spite of all the labor (its a pun, dammit), I'm very proud of my little computer. It's grown from a bargain machine built on a tight budget into a pretty decent a/v editing rig. All in baby steps. I'm happy.

Now, if only I had a little more RAM, or a CD-RW, or a ...
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

if you had more ram, you would prolly have more than two kids
    jim
    PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
    128mb pc-100 cas 2
    Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
    Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
    SB Live!
    Winblows 98se & DX7
    and 384k DSL!

Comment

Actually, the ram I have is adequate. After all, I've used it over, and over, and over...

[This message has been edited by moreau (edited 04 May 2000).]
      System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

128mb pc-100 cas 2
        Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
        SB Live!
        Winblows 98se & DX7
        and 384k DSL!

Comment

Think what would happen if you added another monitor? OMG, she'd put YOU on the pill!!!

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 04 May 2000).]
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

OH NO, i forgot what I was going to say ....oh yeah...beats childbirth!

Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Or getting it... CUT! Oy!!!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Mike's hormones are going wild I think
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Is is just me or does the RAM get smaller and smaller these days?
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Having a PC is much cheaper than having a kid.
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

It's also much faster than it used to be
                      128mb pc-100 cas 2
                      SB Live!
                      Winblows 98se & DX7
                      and 384k DSL!

Comment

Ah! The good old days!

Comment

Ya know, I have been doing the same thing here, upgrading little by little, but for some odd reason, I never have any old hardware left over.

Oh wait, I know. It's the band of ravenous leeches that raid me for my old hardware every couple of weeks

If I ever have a juman child, I'll see if I can get them to take it also. Might have to entice them with some nice P3's though....
                          A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

Working...
                          X