• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquarid meteor shower

NASA Science News for May 2, 2000

The eta Aquarid meteor shower, caused by bits of debris
    from Halley's Comet, will peak on May 5-6, 2000. Lunar
    observers will be watching the Moon on the nights after
    the shower for possible signs of meteorite impacts.
    FULL STORY at
    http://www.spacescience.com/headline...ast02may_1.htm

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Well, since I won't have much to do at that time, but for watch some TV and go to bed early, what time is that again, Mike? Or all night long?

Just hope the rest of the flat doesn't block my view... I'll try to make some webcam pics, if and when my PC is up anyway

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Okay thats two more cloudy nights coming up.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Aye Jord, the updates I recieve are included in the above post. My best guess would be in the pre-dawn hours as this is the time the earth is swinging into the debris field. These will appear to radiate outward from the constellation Aquarius, but that also depends on where the field is when the earth passes through it. Bottem line, when it's dark.

Don't bother with your webcam. I highly doubt it has the senitivity neccessary to capture them, well unless there's a rather large meteoroid burning up. Then you better duck! LOL
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Better yet... "Our planet will join the moon, sun, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn in an approximate line for several days beginning Wednesday.

Some prophets of doom expect the worst: cataclysmic floods, earthquakes, tidal waves and volcanic eruptions triggered by gravitational forces from Earth's neighbors.
          "

We're doomed?

Read about it on http://cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/05/02...ent/index.html

Jorden.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Why is there never any good stuff happening over here.
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Actually Jordi the planets will align themselves on the otherside of the sun... thus lowering the effects of gravity.

NASA Science News for May 4, 2000

Tidal forces on Earth caused by other planets in the solar
              system will be at a low point this week when Mercury, Venus,
              Mars, Jupiter and Saturn "line up" on the far side of the
              Sun. The alignment won't be visible to the naked-eye, but
              there will be a meteor shower that could produce a nice sky
              show. FULL STORY at
              http://spacescience.com/headlines/y2000/ast04may_1m.htm

Space Weather News for May 4, 2000

The planets Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn have entered the field of view of
              instruments on board the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory as they
              approach the Sun for Friday's much-touted conjunction. Animations of this
              rare event include two coronal mass ejections with three planets in the
              background. For more information, please see http://www.spaceweather.com

Comment

Working...
              X