Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G800 or G900...you make the call.

<Jammrock steps up on his cast iron soap box>

Matrox recently announced the G450, which is an improved version of the G400. This raises a dillema. Since the next card out is the G450 and if Matrox keeps their current naming standard (double the number of the previous chip) then will the next chip be the G800 or the G900? Or will they completely abandon the whole G-thing?

If Matrox calls their next gen chip the G800, then people may think that the chip is based off the inferior G400. So it would be logical to call it the G900. But several sites and people already think of the next gen chip as the G800, so changing names now could cause name recognition problems.

Its all so confusing...

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

First, we can't be sure what the next chip will be called (the Matrox rep I spoke to a few weeks ago would only call it "the next chip").
    I think there is a later revision of the G200 called the G250, or 225 and only aimed at OEMs, no ? And it didn't change the G400's name. Or it would have been called the G450, and so the G450 (the one revealed today) would have been the G475, and you would have asked if the next card would be called G900 or G950.

By bet on G800.
    ------------------
    Corwin the Brute

[This message has been edited by Corwin_Brute (edited 25 April 2000).]
    Corwin the Brute

Comment

I would vote for Millenium III

Comment

nah, call it "The NEXT Millenium"
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

One problem for Matrox is that the domain Name www.g800.com is already resigered already....I was bored and wanted to see if they got that domian name.

Scott
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

release it next year and call it the TRUE Millenium.
            msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
            it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

but was there a year 0?
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Ack! Maybe they can choose another M-word.

In any case, there was/is a G250. They ended up in some HP machines. This is from Matrox's press release:

"Powered by the speed-graded Matrox G250 chip, the Millennium G250 is 6 percent* faster in 2D and 19 percent** faster in 3D than the Millennium G200. This increase in speed offers mainstream corporate desktop users higher performance in graphics-intensive applications such as Web browsing, while also future-proofing their systems against obsolescence. An AGP 2X card with 8 MB of SGRAM, the Millennium G250 is equipped with all of the productivity-enhancing features that won the Millenium G200 the 1999 PC World "World Class Award"."

See? It's "future proof." Remember when that was the big buzzword?

So there were G100 (Productiva, Multi-Monitor), but no G150, at least four G200's (Millenium, Mystique, Marvel, and Multi-Monitor), a G250, three G400's, and now the G450. (In addition I believe the G200 Mystique first shipped with SDRAM and then with SGRAM, and there was an SDRAM OEM version of the G200 Millenium. There are also 16/32 MB, DH/SH, AGP 2X/4X permutations of the G400. Collect them all!)

The pattern has been, from chip to chip, to double the number and add 50 to the enhancement. So the next chip should be the G800.

These are marketing decisions, and therefore completely arbitrary. The problem is, as the numbers get higher, things start to get messy. Sticking with the pattern would result in a G850, a G1600, a G1650, a G3200 ...

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Why not skip all that and just name it the G-2001 ... I think it'll have at least one HAL again, wouldn't it? In true SF thinking, the name jumps out. Arthur C. Clarke-ish maybe, but who cares?

Matrox G-2001 ... there's a name that sticks out

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

It'll probably something that involves the name of a snake, a latin word, or a large carnivorous bird.

hmm. 3dfx has Voodoo, why not Santeria?

-phizneedstoupgrade
                    Ami Y. Koriuchi - MY EMAIL IS DEAD

SYSTEM1
                    Asus K7V266 - Athlon XP 1800+ - GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB -
                    1024 MB PC2100 DDR -
                    200 GB UDMA100 7200 RPM - 60GB LVD 160 10K RPM

SYSTEM2
                    Asus A7V133 - Athlon 1.4 - G400Max
                    768MB PC133 - 75 GB of 10k RPM SCSI UW

HI SOMETiMES I GO AWAY FOR LONG TIME AND COME BACK YEARS LATER HI!

Comment

Working...
                    X