I Want Them ALL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Want Them ALL!

There's a nice big thread in General Hardware about the new video boards. Lot's of technical information and profanity. Maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis, but I want ALL of the new boards, and I just don't care about the specs. Let's face it:

The Voodoo5 is really really big. And it has *two* fans.

OK. The GeForce2 is tough, because there are so many different manufacturers, and I can't have them all. Now Creative Labs will have the coolest box, and that's an important consideration. However, the Guillemot Prophet II will have a blue PCB *and* blue heatsinks on the RAM. (Now, Guillemot admitted that the RAM won't be very overclockable, so I guess the heatsinks are there because they look nice.) And it has a round fan. Guillemot wins.

As for the Matrox G450, I just do the math. 450 is a higher number than 400. I'm a particularly easy mark when it comes to Matrox, and the extra 50 is enough for me.

Big boards. Blue PCB's. Fifty extra G's. These are the features I'm looking for. I want them all.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

I'm now waiting for a G1000 that has a very large number.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

What about this:

No way I'm going to let that beast near my computer.
      (0,1) Just my two bits.

Comment

IS THAT the Voodoo5? Good heavens! The card'll bend upwards with all thos fans - It'll suck itself right out of the PC, nevermind just the slot!

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Yes, and don't forget all the nice features of the last NVidia teaser ("you will have more frag counts", "you will be more productive", "you will tell your friends"...). Couldn't help but bastardize it (lower in the SoapBox), sorry...

At least, all 3DFx Voodoo 5 6k will be able to answer, "Yes, but mine is bigger than yours !"

And, as paulcs pointed, Matrox was able to obtain an enormous 50 more Gs just with the die shrinking process, which is very impressive to say the least (that is 12.5% more Gs !), whereas 3DFx has to use multiple chips to get roughly 57% more Vs (from V3 3500 to V5 5500).

------------------
          Corwin the Brute

Corwin the Brute

Comment

Does that thing come with gussets and braces to help support all that length and weight?
            MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
            Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
            512MB regular Crucial PC2100
            Matrox P
            X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
            LianLiPC70

Comment

Probably 2 sucking and 2 blowing fans to counter-effect eachother. Although I do miss the slot-bracket... how does one attach it to the PC casing? Glue it in?

Jord.
              When I chose to go out
              I always leave the light on
              when I have to stay in,
              you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
              now that I'm living on my own,
              and while they've never been more right,
              can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

I bet you that at least half of the PCs that this card will be bought for will have a hard drive in the way of the card. I know in my brother's and dad's PC this card hasn't a hope in hell of fitting!

And Jorden - Glue is only used if you have a PC by ESCOM - now, who remembers them? And who bought a PC from them?

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Hey Rowan, which card is that??? Looks like a Quantum 3D logo to the left of the Intel chip.

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

nice fit, eh?
                    PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                    128mb pc-100 cas 2
                    Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
                    Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                    SB Live!
                    Winblows 98se & DX7
                    and 384k DSL!

Comment

Four fans! And an external power connector. Now I really want one of those. I want one for free, however. $600.00 is a little steep. Now if it had four round fans and it was blue ...

Here's another picture of the V5 6000 and its four fans:

http://www.stomped.com/pics/winhec/v5_6000_1.jpg

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Say Steve, (btw, welcome back old buddy),

I owned an Escom 486, for about 8 months, then refurbished it into a Cyrix 166+, quickly saved money for a new casing with an Asus P2B with a P2-266, asked for 64Mb SDRAM and got 128Mb ( ) and after about a year all left of the original ESCOM was the case sitting forlorn in the garage with a Cyrix (bleh!) 166+ in it

I did rip out all jumpers and re-usable screws.

That about answers your question?

Jord.
                        When I chose to go out
                        I always leave the light on
                        when I have to stay in,
                        you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
                        now that I'm living on my own,
                        and while they've never been more right,
                        can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

i don't want a video card i want fron rear and side holo projectors. now that would be a game of ut/quake/counter strike /ect.....

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                          it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

There's a big bonus that comes with that Voodoo 5 6000: if anyone breaks into your house/apt., and you don't have quick access to a baseball bat or a knife, you can beat the burgular to death with the V5.

The Rock
                            www.3dforce.com
                            Bart

Comment

Oh, yes, because -- amazing, but true -- it is faster to:
                              • detatch the monitor cable,
                              • remove the retaining screw (I mean, I'll give you "the side of the case is off" for free, but ya gotta use the retaining screw!!!),
                              • unhook the power leads and cables that prevent you from moving the stupid thing more than a quarter inch (with appropriate grunting and sweating, using teeth when necessary), and,
                              • lever the doggone thing out of the tiny space you've wedged it into between your removeable drive bay and the power supply--

--- than it is to hie your butt to the kitchen and get a BFK(nife)....

No, it's true. Really. We have charts and stuff.

---------------------------
                              Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 29 April 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X