Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, what is the oldest game you have in your possesion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, what is the oldest game you have in your possesion?

I still have a copy of the original King's Quest back from 1983-ish. The game came on a single 5 1/4 720k floppy in a non-standard sized plastic box. The best part is the system requirements:

IBM Color Display or television

or

IBM PCjr
    128KB of memory

Woohoo! 128K of memory. I actually had a PCjr back then along with the original Microsoft Flight Simulator which came out that Christmas. OH, and look! the copyright is from 1983. <sigh> I remember when Sierra was a great company...

Anyone else got something stashed away?

Dave

------------------
    I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Got one of the first Indy Cars games. Indy 500. Played it on my P3 and errr quit pretty fast as well... that game is for slow computers

Try any of your old games on your Super PC of today It'll scare the hell out of you

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Yeah, no kidding Jord. I have one of those indy games too, although I have recently lost it. I could hardly run it on my 300 system. It was crazy!!! Anyway, I think the oldest game I have is Dune 1 (ok, who's surprised on THAT one.... lol)! You should try flying around with the ornithopter on a 750Mhz.... WOW! BTW, if anyone wants it, it's only like 2.5 megs or so.....

Dimitri
      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Corrections added

I have Adventure in Serenia.
        This is Sierra's first color game.
        Considered the first color Adventure game.
        It's on a single sided 160k disk.
        It came packaged with the original IBM PC.
        It's a self booter and can't run on anything past a 286.
        It's like the old text based "Adventure" for mainframes but with rudimentary graphics.
        (If I remember correctly. Obviously, it's been a while since I had a computer it would run on.)
        chuck

PS If we're talking about PCs I don't think it's possible to go back any farther.

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 24 April 2000).]
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I have a copy of the original Civilization that I picked up in 1992!

Chuck
          P4 2.53GHz, Intel D845PEBT2, 1GB Ram, G400 Max, Adaptec 19160 running, 2 Maxtor 18GB 10KRPM HD, Toshiba 40/10 SCSI DVD-Rom, Plextor 32/12/10 SCSI CD-RW, Seagate 80GB Barracuda IV, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Viewsonic G790 19" Monitor

Comment

Rogue. Still a great game with the simplest of graphics.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I seem to remember a command-line Dungeons and Dragons type game that you had to program into your TI-99 with BASIC. You'd walk into a room and some random monster would come at you. This was actually fun then.

I also remember something we played in college (whoa this dates me) before that which was basically the same thing, but we played it on the school's mainframe from the computer room in our dorm, connected with a good old-fashioned external modem that you crammed a telephone handset into! Network gaming circa 1980..

------------------
              Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

KvHagedorn, also sounds like Rogue or its predecessor, Hack.
                I've still got an old Star Trek game on paper tape from one of those old TTY terminals: ran it on the California State University CDC Cyber system at Northridge in the mid-70's (I was dialing in from Cal Poly, SLO). BTW, the handset mount was/is called an acoustic coupler.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 24 April 2000).]
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I have an old game but I may lose on a technicality...

About 5 years ago, Activision released a disc containing all the Infocom text games.

How about Planetfall or Deadline or Zork 1?

Games are old, but the disc is a re-release, does it count?
                  PIII 550@605
                  IWill Motherboard VD133
                  VIA Chipset
                  512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                  G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                  DirectX 8.0a
                  SB Live! Value
                  8x DVD (Toshiba)
                  6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                  Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                  3Com CMX Cable Modem
                  Optiquest V95 19"
                  HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                  Microtek flatbed scanner
                  Intellimouse Explorer
                  Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                  AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

the oldest pc game? wizardry 1 (runs off a 5.25 floppy. whay do i stall have it (the box looks nice. yes i still have the software insude.)

i must toss it out when i get home (as well as some other ol;der computer game stuff (comador64 games in a stored in a box)
                    msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Do Apple IIe games count? How about TI 99-4a games, I got some of those?

As for PC...I don't have many of my old games for PC any more. The farthest back I go there is 688 Attack Sub or Star Control 2.

Jammrock

------------------
                      Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

If we're gonna open it up beyond PC games, I've still got the cartridge for the VIC-20 version of some Adventure-type game set on a pirate island. I'll have to dig it up and get the actual name. Have no idea where the computer (for lack of a better word..) is but the topic IS 'oldest game in possesion'!

Also, I think somewhere I still have Lode Runner from my old Apple II+ (WITH the 16k memory card, total 64k thank you very much!)

Somebody's gotta have an old Xerox 8" floppy with a game somewhere, right?

Andy
                        PIII 550@605
                        IWill Motherboard VD133
                        VIA Chipset
                        512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                        G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                        DirectX 8.0a
                        SB Live! Value
                        8x DVD (Toshiba)
                        6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                        Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                        3Com CMX Cable Modem
                        Optiquest V95 19"
                        HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                        Microtek flatbed scanner
                        Intellimouse Explorer
                        Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                        AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

I have two cartridge for my c-64 (doesn,t work anymore). Jumpman Junior by Epix and Maze master by HesSoftware. (doesn't make me younger....).
                          Athlon64 4800+
                          Asus A8N deluxe
                          2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                          eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                          X-Fi Fatality
                          HP w2207

Comment

BTW, if anyone wants it, it's only like 2.5 megs or so.....
                            I want it Dimitri

(think it can go with an e-mail ?)

Comment

hmm.. let me see..

- bard's tale(i had it first on my apple IIe, then i found out the pc version is better.. *grumble* then i got it for the pc version when i got a real pc *no flames please*)

- king's quest(got i spend many many hours on that. i didn't a hmm.. 'online version' where me and my buddy would be on the phone and tell each other what we were doing and find the clues together :P )

- alot of cracked games.. too many to name :P

in the 80's, while i was still in high school. we would have a list of all the games we have and start trading. we either borrow or just go home and make copies, then go back to school the next day to make the trade. god that was like heaven until the cd comes around (2x cd PLAYER was like $1200)in the very late 80's to the early 90's. we were 'force' to buy games. :P

let me go to the attic and see if i can find any 'older' games. heh

Glarec
                              ------
                              bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X