Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh NO! My computer has gone psycho

That has happened to be twice now.
    My PC only *soft* powers off, perhaps a surge in the power supply could bump the PC back online?

I'd put it down to crap electrics!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I've studied this for many years and I think it's due to demonic possession. What you need to do get a few drops of holy water and sprinkle it in a circle round the pc. If this doesn't work there maybe no other choice but to get a stake and drive it through the harddisk.
    As a last resort call your local bible thumper and ask for a excorsism.
    Or it might be due to intense solar activity?
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yup I reckon it's demonic influance since it my reply disappeared for a while before suddenly reappearing.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It could be that your cat or other pets walked over the keyboard.

But I go with the Pit's theory. It must be demonic possession !! Sprinkle some holy water in the inner sanctum of your PC while its on

I have a lamp that goes off all the time...

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

[font size=6]Burn the PC![/font]
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

HTML is difficult

Check the code, Pat. <font size=6>Burn the PC!</font>
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Oh NO! My computer has gone psycho

OK, my computer has decided to go psycho. Last night, 5 minutes after shutting down I was getting ready to go to bed when suddenly my computer decided to turn itself back on.

Hmmm... This was most spookey because it has never done this before. Why did it do this? My suspicions can only point towards one thing. Looking at my caller-id box, I noticed that somebody had tried to call me at that time. (I turn the phone ringer off at night because the braintrust in this town does not know how to punch in the right number. Yes, it was ANOTHER wrong number.)

I know that several ATX mobo BIOSes, mine included, have an option to power on when the phone rings. I do have this turned off, though. I know this because 2 people tried to call me while I was at work yesterday, yet my computer was not powered on when I came home.

Why did it decide to turn itself on this time? Anybody else had similar experiences? Maybe I should not have watched that Alfred Hitchcock movie last night.

Comment

Dang! I forgot to pay my exorcist, and my computer got repossessed.

I have a dog, but he is not allowed in the computer room, and I know that he was not in the computer room when it turned itself on.

Maybe it's past time to reinstall Win9X. I didn't mention that it failed to completely bootup w9x when it turned itself on. I had to use the reset switch...

Over 10 years ago at my folk's house, we had a microwave that was possessed. It would spontaneously type "6"s across the microwave display, and every so often it will just beep as if it finished cookin something. A few years ago we talked with the previous owners, and they said that they sold the house because it was haunted. I've seen some weird stuff at that house, but not as weird as they have said. They heard footsteps walking up the stairway at night when nobody else was there, etc.

Comment

Their ghost prolly haunted your PC

But footsteps on stairs... I hear that all the time, but it's neighbors banging up the stairs

We have an oven that will beep in the middle of the night, even though we didn't use the timer for 2 weeks... so it might be just shortcicuited
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Although the idea of a haunted computer seems plausible, I had this happening to me once. I too tracked it down to waking up on a phone call.

Turned out upgrading my motherboard's BIOS was necessary for the wake on ring feature to work reliably. That is, turning it off in BIOS setup really disabling it.

As a workound, you might pull either the power cable or the phone jack out of your PC at night. (Or simply turn it off using the switch at the back if you have one.)

Comment

Jordâ„¢

Comment

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
                        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

<font size=6>DOH!</font>
                          cheers Jord!

Comment

look familiar?

[This message has been edited by Dilitante1 (edited 24 April 2000).]
                            cant get it to auto load.......dammit.....

[This message has been edited by Dilitante1 (edited 24 April 2000).]
                            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

hmm, let's see...

When I chose to go out
                              I always leave the light on
                              when I have to stay in,
                              you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
                              now that I'm living on my own,
                              and while they've never been more right,
                              can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

Working...
                              X