What should i expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should i expect?

Dont know if this should be in General, or here... Since its kind of a poll, im putting it here.

Im getting cable tommarow, and they are makeing me PAY them 100 bucks 'installation fee'. Im getting RoadRunner. What should i expect to get/have to deal with when the tech comes to mess with my system?

Are they going to try to jam a crappy NIC in my system and through my IRQ's out of whack? Also, anyone have any experiance with RR? Thanx guys... Im sooo happy about tommarow, but also incredably scared of what might happen...
    BTW ive already got an extra NIC installed and ready to go...

------------------
    PIII 450 @ 504
    generic BX motherboard
    G400 MAX : )
    GlobalWin VOS32!
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
    Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
    Creative 36x CD-ROM
    96 megs PC100 RAM
    128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
    NetGear 10/100
    Soundblaster 32 AWE
    Diamond SupraExpress 56k
    Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
    1 92mm Sunon Fan
    4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Thanx Gurm(1 hour till install!)
    Hopefully the three monitors on my desk will frighten him sufeicantly enought that he will relieze im not stupid...

BTW, they just started rolling service out last week in my town!

Comment

I got my cable modem installed from @home the first week it was available and you can expect the first 3 or 4 days to be great. However after that it really took a nosedive for about 2 months and the service really sucked. but for the last 2 months now it has been GREAT!! My guess that one of the routers was bad ( I had called tech support and told them i was getting really high ping times to the gateway and they checked it out and told me it looks like there was something wrong) So my guess is they fixed it because about 3 day after that is when the download speeds were what they should be which is an average 100 to 200k. So I hope you enjoy it!!
      Flux capacitor overclocked to 1.31 jigawatts

Comment

Dyre, posting for the first time w/ Cable!

Comment

Congrats Dyre. It's nice isn't it.... Did they screw up your system at all? I imagine not too badly as you're using it currently... lol

Dimitri
          "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
          --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

might be a little late...but a friend of mine (technically my brother) who also has a cable modem was getting really bad service from Rogers @home...my isp. and when he called about it they said there was nothing they could do about it until winter was over...turns out that the router was waterlogged...thus dead and they had to completly replace it
            just something i thought ppl might be interested in.

Frankfurt
            Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
            WinXP Professional SP1
            Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
            3COM 905C

Comment

Grrr boo hisss

Obligatory jealous post
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Grrr boo hisss

Obligatory jealous post

U /\/0 3y3 h8 joo 411 d51 \/\/h0r35

Well at least I'm back up to a 45kbps+ connection. Rockwell chipsets suck, Cirrus Logic (CL MD5650) handles bad line conditions better. NOw if I could just get back the second telephone line....
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Well...

1. They will probably be ok with your netgear 10/100.

2. They will, unfortunately, rearrange your protocols. Nothing you can't fix.

3. If you stand over them, and say "NO!" in a loud voice, you might be able to convince them NOT to install their crappy versions of Netscape and Free Agent.

4. The service, when your local router isn't having issues, is quite nice. Be sure to call them when you are down, though - they will credit you for any missed days (or parts of days).

- Gurm

------------------
                  Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

One problem. I removed my Modem(IRQ 5) and the G400 promptly grabed the IRQ.... DAMNIT

And it wont go back. HL and CounterStrike works fine right now... Damnit Damnit Damnit

Ohh wait, i have cable. Tee Heee!

Comment

In your motherboard's BIOS, set IRQ 5 to ISA/Legacy only. Set PCI slot 1 to whatever IRQ the G400 was on previously.

If you know all this stuff, sorry.

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Yeah, did that, no help.

guess im going to be swaping some slots here....

Comment

wireless desktop?
                          how does that work? IR
                          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

its a radio signal. Mouse and Keyboard. Ive stopped using the mouse, as the 50hZ refresh is too damn slow.

The keyboard rules though. I can type half way across the house.

Comment

Working...
                            X