Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dont read if you havent got past the first CD on FF8!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont read if you havent got past the first CD on FF8!

I played FF7 thought it was great, nearly cried when Aeris got Killed.

I buy FF8, I think that Squall is not a very nice person. Then he goes and gets killed.
    Do i feel happy? no!

Hmmmmm.
    He can withstand a level 3 fire attack (whatever it called). He defeated Seifer without loosing any energy. He defeated the evil woman thing without loosing any energy, HE THEN GETS HIT BY A FARTY LITTLE PIECE OF ICE and dies.

(Just onto CD2) Great game!!!!

-Took me ages to realise that CD1 was behind the installation disk!

sorry, just a bit upset right now....
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

yes... and?
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Guess he wasn't as dead as he looked, eh, Patrick?

Aw, c'mon, Jord, I know you're not an RPG/adventure gamer, but surely you've played games that made you stomp around the room muttering imprecations at the top of your lungs ...

I've only played the FF8 demo, Patrick (I know I'm not even supposed to be reading this thread ), but I don't think Squall is very nice either. He's very goodlooking, responsible, hardworking and a hero and all-- but he's surly, non-communicative, and tends to use others to hide his own faults in the social graces. Probably that's why that (very, very) cute girl grabs him and teaches him to dance-- guess that myth of girls liking these (extremely) difficult guys isn't such a myth after all...

But Squall doesn't have to be "nice" to be the hero... it's Square(Soft)--who as you may know are deities to many; and FF, which people have followed for years; and a thoroughly Japanese viewpoint (afaik).... Certainly all the "Hollywood rules" are off, which is probably one reason American gamers (whether they be console or PC) love the FF series.

I just broke down and bought FF7, myself (since the price didn't drop with the release of FF8, darn it!!), and haven't even cracked the box yet. I know that in some ways it's not as good a game, but I enjoyed the demo and I hope it has at least some features that my MAX can use to advantage...

-----------------------
      Holly

Comment

Aw, c'mon, Jord, I know you're not an RPG/adventure gamer, but surely you've played games that made you stomp around the room muttering imprecations at the top of your lungs
        Oh I've been there on my C64 and on the PC (DiscWorld ). But I was just wondering what Pat was so upset about

Outside RPG's I've been clenching fists as well

Jord.
        (trying for the 20th time to put this here ... grrrr.)
        When I chose to go out
        I always leave the light on
        when I have to stay in,
        you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
        now that I'm living on my own,
        and while they've never been more right,
        can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

errr. sorry
          perhaps i was a little bit hastey!
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Im sorry, he has just got me worked up.
            I hate it when you absolutely hammer somone in a battle and then wath some FMV showing that you loose....

So you like the demo then Holly?
            I thought the backgrounds looked appaling.
            urgh! even on my lowely PII300 i dont ever use 640x480...

Well 15hrs into the game...
            better get back!

Cheers

Comment

Paddy,
              let me just say that the game gets better on the second cd things happen that will make you forget about how mean squall is...i made it all the way to the middle of cd3 and stopped playing (mainly cause i spend so much more time in win2k and it doesnt support my gamepad). when i finish the other games ive got going in win98 i will go back and hopefully finish the game

Frankfurt
              Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
              WinXP Professional SP1
              Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
              3COM 905C

Comment

Cheers,
                I must be around half-way through the second CD (can drive the Garden where ever i want).

This game is COOL.

I cant help thinking that I should have more than 4 GFs though

Patrick

Comment

i think you should have more...if i remember correctly i believe i had about 7 or so by the second CD
                  Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
                  WinXP Professional SP1
                  Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
                  3COM 905C

Comment

Finished the game this night...
                    Very, very nice ending. As usual in FFs, the scenario becomes very complicated, the characters slowly become more sympathic...

Well, I enjoyed the time I spend with it (about 100 hours), and I just wish the next one will TRULY use the PC power (FF7 was an okay conversion, but PSX graphics on PC are becoming very outdated), and that you will be able to skip the G-Forces animations (which surely look nice the 20 first times). ;-)

------------------
                    Corwin the Brute

Corwin the Brute

Comment

Few question about the game,

1) How on earth can you defend against a triple 'death'???
                      2) The phoenix pinion thing, how does that work???

- i edited the memory address for the number of point you get when winning a battle, and changed it to 65545. Now every monstor i fight appears to be level 90+! - is that right?

Sorry,
                      Patrick

Comment

Paddy, there is a magic (don't know the english name, as I have the french version of the game), which causes Death. You steal it and you join it to Status-Defense. This way you can defend yourself. BTW, the attack "Death Level 5" only kills characters whose level is a multiple of 5 (including my 3 level 100 characters :-( ).

The Phoenix works this way : you can use it, or there is a chance that the phoenix appears when your 3 characters are dead (if at least one of them has the Objects capacity).

------------------
                        Corwin the Brute

Corwin the Brute

Comment

The pheonix pinion thing, as far as I've seen it goes:

Use pheonix pinion once in a battle, calls pheonix who wakes everyone up, gives them full health and dos some damage to the bad guys.

Pheonix will be randomly called (prolly to do with Luck) when everyone knocked out as long as you have a pheonix pinion to call him with.

Also, having a high magic defence will help with resisting death, but junctioning Death to Status Defence is also a damn fine idea.

Uberlad
                          -------------------------
                          8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                          5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Cheers,
                            I am still getting the hang of the junction system

Comment

Working...
                            X