• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS2 military hardware?

From CDRInfo.com:

------8<------
    Is PlayStation2 a military weapon?

"..Japan has slapped export controls on Sony Corp.'s new, hugely popular Playstation2 video game because the machine is so sophisticated it could be used for military purposes, media said Sunday. The law requires the trade ministry's approval for the export of restricted products worth more than 50,000 yen ($472). Thus, the export of more than two consoles would be controlled because each is priced at 39,800 yen.

Military analysts cited the example of a Tomahawk missile that needs to "see" where it is going until it strikes its target and must process graphic material at high speed to keep to its target. PlayStation2's graphic processing capability is fast enough to enable it to be used in a missile.."
    -------

I think the only real use of a PlayStation 2 as a weapon would be if you hit someone over the head with it.

Currently, the US military is using a G400 MAX on a specialized VIA chipset board.

Comment

DAMN IT!!! They caught on to my plan for global domination!

Jammrock

------------------
      Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

So how exactly do you solder the PS2 to the missile?
        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

More of a question is: How do you keep the missile from playing mindless games, like Donkey Kong, Mario Bros Super 64 Something and Need For Speed 5?
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Too bad, When I read the title of this thread I thought he was speaking about the PS/2 mouse/keyboard connector on motherboards.
            I was so happy to have my mouse attached to a "military weapon".

Vlip

Comment

I hope they'll update the laws soon. Because if they don't move fast we will finish with such statements.

"Last Microsoft Force Feedback 2005 joystick banned from export by the US, enough powerfull to be used as a torpedo controller."

;-)
              I'd love to have one of those.

Vlip

Comment

That's what I thought, too Vlip.

I assume the export ban is because the Emotion chip can be removed and used to process graphical data for a missle.

The real reason is so the some rich middle eastern country doesn't steal the technology and enter the console market and flood it.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                X