Has anyone else built a computer with a MAX and inadvertently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else built a computer with a MAX and inadvertently

connected the monitor to the secondary output of the MAX? Wondered why there's no video? DOA computer?

It took me a couple of hours to figure that one out.

The second head on the G400 will only give a signal after you have enabled the dual-head functions !!

Before that it's just a 'dead' head

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Actually, I intended to attach the monitor to the primary output.

I was a dead head for not reading the number on the card. Come on, someone else must have done this...

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 09 April 2000).]

Comment

hehehe... i've done that.

Tried to figure it out for a few hours. cleared my CMOS several times, disabled a billion jumpers... nada...
        then I RTFM'd. And proceeded to smack myself.

Btw... Dead Heads rock. too bad Jerry Garcia died.

Comment

I didn't do that but if it helps... I finally was able to set up a second monitor at home to use the Dual Head capabilities. I had to put the second monitor on the left side of my primary monitor. I tried in vain for about 5 minutes to drag applications to the left side to the second monitor...DOH!!!

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hi Paul,

You did realize that you can set PD up so that it knows the second monitor is on the left...

Rags

Comment

Oh!! No!! A double DOH!!!!

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

This thread is great! I'm sure we all did some boneheaded thing at one time or another. How many times did you forget to put the IDE cable back on or what about the stupid dumbass switch on the back of the power supplies. I remember trying everything to get the power to come on before I realized that stupid switch on the power supply was off I'm sure I've done much worse but can't think of it right now.

Dave

------------------
                I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

One of my bonehead plays was to install an Alpha cpu heatsink/fan which interfered with installation of the cpu. The cooler hit the cpu mount on the motherboard and I couldn't completely insert the cpu. I had to reinstall the previous heatsink to realize why the computer wouldn't boot. I thought I had killed the processor.

(I ended up melting off part of the cpu mount with a hot screwdriver and using cable ties to hold the cpu onto the mb. After all this, the Alpha didn't improve the performance at all.)

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 06 April 2000).]

Comment

Okay... Dumb things I did in my life in PC-Land:

1) Try to install a harddrive as slave, but forget to jumper the slave as slave, leaving it on master... Quite annoying !!

2) Install a second harddrive, either as slave or on second IDE port, and fdisk it to partition it, but forgetting to reboot, then do a format, and be left with two empty drives

3) Having learned from 2), install a second harddrive, unhook the first hdd from the flat-cable, format the second hdd, rehook the first hdd, only to find out that it won't boot now as both hdd's have an active partition

4) Having learned from 2) and 3), install a new hdd, for the master is about to crash, make a flash backup to the second hdd, unhook the crashed hdd, install the new one, partition it, forget to reboot, format it and find out that you've got 2 empty hdd's again

5) We'll learn one day... I hope

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I too have plugged my monitor into the wrong head, but I quickly figured it out. Hey Jord, while you're on drives, why don't you try this one.

1.) Plug the power supply cable in the wrong direction on a floppy and watch the sparks fly. lol

Dimitri
                      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

I still have a hard time remembering which socket the floppy goes on.
                        Oops, the light stayed on. Goddammit......

Put a CD in upside down and not understand why the drive can't read it?

Static shocked a hard drive.

Forgot to plug in a CPU fan, and wondered why it was so quiet (caught that one quickly).
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My computer stupidities :
                          1) Do a fine installation of a new motherboard, putting all IDE cables very carefully (I hate IDE mess) for about one hour, and then realize I didn't plug the RAM.
                          2) Try to fit an ATX motherboard in an AT case. Very funny.
                          3) The master/slave misconfiguration
                          4) BTW, did I talk about SCSI termination ?
                          5) Let one of my friends try to remove the heatsink of my once state-of-the-art P2-400 with a hammer. I swear this one is true, the remains of the CPU are still on my desk as a memory.

------------------
                          Corwin the Brute

Corwin the Brute

Comment

OK here are mine:
                            1) Took 1 hour to figure out my computer wasn't booting because I didn't connect the mainboard to the powersupply.
                            2) Master/Slave stupidity (looks quite standard ;-))
                            3) Never could install a Floppy disk and make it work the first time. Usually I take as much time to install the floppy than to install the whole computer (That's why my computer doesn't have a floppy drive anymore).
                            4) Static shocked a mainboard
                            5) Erasing my father's accountacy MS Money file (with backup!). I swear it will never happen to me again!

[This message has been edited by Vlip (edited 07 April 2000).]

Comment

This has to be the worst of them all. After spending hours plugging all the cables in correctly, making sure the cards are in their right slots, I was ready to boot up the machine. Figuring I didn't forget anything, I screwed the top back on and switched on the machine... Nothing happened. I checked the power, everything and tried again. Still nothing. It took me about 20 minutes to realise I didn't slot in the CPU. Boy, did I feel stupid. Luckily nobody was there to see me

Comment

Working...
                              X