No announcement yet.

Why must people flame Matrox hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why must people flame Matrox hardware?

i know i'm starting to become a blight on this forum but my mind must be spoken. i've seen alot of people jump on the forums and start torching matrox cards and i see it a lot on hardware review pages too. you see these reviewers compare the g400/max cards to these new cards from ati, nvidia, voodoo etc. i find it a little disappointing for may reasons although these are the same thoughts riddled throughout this forum which i have become an avid reader.

-the G400max came out at the same time as the tnt2, and voodoo 3000 graphics cards.(maybe a little before, i can't quite remember) during this time Matrox was crapping on the competition in respect of most game frame rates and always in picture clarity which hasn't changed (pic clarity that is)

-today reviewers dump on the g400, a card produced mid last year, in comparison to the Geforce 256 ddr, sure they may have the same amount of memory and are a graphics cards but that’s where the likeness ends. there is no denying that the geforce is by far the quickest card and has some of the most advanced hardware acceleration on the domestic market. its not enough just to compare a card on the premise that its in the same price bracket and one does q3 faster, who gives a toss. what they should be doing is categorising the consumer to their individual needs ie, do you want quake to move unbelievably fast or do you want it to look good too. this a classic example of the voodoo cards, sacrifice quality for speed.

-as a result of reviewers misinformation, people go out and buy a card that doesn't cater to their individual needs so they bitch about why it doesn't work the way they want it to work. again this is why you get Matrox card users complaining about performance. i would like to say to those people 'why did you buy Matrox when there are other faster cards out there. informed buyers buy Matrox cards because they want decent performance and wicked picture quality'

-lastly i hear a lot of complaints about problems in getting their card to work to spec. this is a case of be patient and listen to the information spooned to you, you just might learn something. i've had a few issues with my g400max but their is no way i'm returning this puppy. i've seen the competition and what they offer & its not what i want. i expect some problems for i chop and change my hardware at whim and by and large this card is fairly tolerant of me

i'm sorry about the rambling and i don't care if i get flamed. for all the tweaking i do in my system, exchanging one band of hardware for another, i'll always have a Matrox card in my system providing they offer something a little different and preserve excellent picture quality. finally to those who jump on ms windows because its bugy as hell (which i tend to agree) it isn't that bad, know why, because just about everyone uses it. if you are sick of windows, its simple, don't buy it & don't use it. i like linux just as much as the next geek but support is always battle but improving. if you read this entire slab of diatribe i feel sorry for you and i hope you don't hate me too much.
    cheers.
    Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @770, Swiftech MC370-3 peltier cooler 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,
    Win98SE 4.10.2222A, DX7a.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Comment

i figured i was preaching to the converted...
      Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @770, Swiftech MC370-3 peltier cooler 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,

Comment

I couldn't agree more with you either!

And the first one in here wanting to flame you is getting Pauly's BBQ button around his ears

(Hold it Pauly, read first! )

Jorden.
        When I chose to go out
        I always leave the light on
        when I have to stay in,
        you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
        now that I'm living on my own,
        and while they've never been more right,
        can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

A long step of the way I agree 100% with you Cancer.

But when the G400 came out it was not faster than it's competitors, especially on slower systems (<400 MHz). Yes it had and still has, a more comprehensive set of features and nicer image quality, but faster... no.

What makes it (at least a little bit) fair to compare the G400 to the GeForce is that the MAX version cost almost as much as a GeForce. I'm aware that "price vs. FPS" is not the only factor to judge a card by, but it IS very important to many people.

That's about it (hope that the allmigthy Matrox-God will still grant me eternal life after this little "incident")

Torben Rohde

G400 news, info, downloads and mailinglist : http://TRsDomain.homepage.dk

Comment

cancer,

you know, most people here in the forums probably agree with you in one way or another, but I must mention that you are being a hypocrit(sp?) since you are bitching and on top of that, you are bitching in the WRONG forum. So please follow the rules a little closer and post in the correct forum. Kruzin, please boot this one over.

Thanks,

Dave

------------------
            I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Helevitia
              i expected to get flamed and i'm not one to say i can't take criticism. fair enough perhaps i posted in the wrong forum for this i apologise. however i would be remiss if didn't defend or at least explain myself.
              i ask this question purely for interest, what was i being hypocritical about? granted i was being biased by a good product however i thought i discussed the relative pros & cons concerning the subject matter & i certainly don't think i offended anyone. concerning reviewers, to a greater or lesser degree they compare graphics cards merits, my only criticism was that they don't go much beyond the fps equation.
              cheers.

Comment

Jord, you're a MINI!!!
                doh!
                jim
                PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
                128mb pc-100 cas 2
                Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
                Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
                SB Live!
                Winblows 98se & DX7
                and 384k DSL!

Comment

All opinion based threads (good, bad, or neutral) get sent to the Soap Box forum...
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Cancer, a lot of what you said is 100% true.
                    I did write some time ago too. Nothing much has changed since then but I guess that's just the way it is.
                    The MURC forums still are the best source for troubleshooting assistance. Some flaming just spices up the chili.

Regards, Alegria

------------------
                    The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
                    Bob Dylan

The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
                    Bob Dylan

Comment

Must be your mirror, Jim

Jord, despite the mini, not being a mini at all !!
                      When I chose to go out
                      I always leave the light on
                      when I have to stay in,
                      you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
                      now that I'm living on my own,
                      and while they've never been more right,
                      can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

I agree that different generation cards can be compared if their price is similar. After all, a company just CAN'T charge the same price for a 6 months old piece of hardware and get away with it, isn't it ?

So, some of my friends wonder why, when I changed my video card, I upgraded from my vanilla G400 to a G400 Max and not to a GeForce. After all, it was in the same price range (maybe 30$ more for a DDR GeForce).

But there is something greatly overlooked (especially by hardcore gamers) in this price comparison : dual head. I suppose that the second video output is very expensive...

But it's IMHO much more useful than T&L...

------------------
                        Corwin the Brute

Corwin the Brute

Comment

We will always have the occasional Flaming Troll popping in to rant. That's just Human nature.

FYI for Jorden and Co. ( Faithful MURCers and minis)

We have two BBQ Buttons available:

One for the Dark Background -
                          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

And one for the light Background -

Pauly
                            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hahahhahahahahh Pauly, thats the best thing ie read all day!

Now i can BBQ on either odd OR even posts! <Muahahhahahahahhaha-------!

Comment

Working...
                              X